“Twice as Nice at Peasant”
Review of Peasant

Peasant
Ranked #2 of 36 Restaurants in Waitsfield
Cuisines: European, French, Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Rustic French and Italian
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We had been fortunate enough to get a reservation for our son's milestone birthday in december, and went back again with our family again this february for another great meal. Service is friendly and effiecient, food is beatifully prepared. The pork shank special was outstanding (cheerfully boxed leftovers were enjoyed the next day..). The owner/chef greets his patrons like friends and family after each meal. The wine list was well matched to the menu. We love the comfort , easy,friendly feel and home cooking found in this cozy Vermont restaurant, and certainly didn't leave feeling like peasants but more lucky diners with many ski runs ahead!

Reviewed February 22, 2013

Drove up to Waitsfield for an overnight getaway from the city. I had read amazing review about Peasant and we decided to try it. What an absolutely delicious and picturesque visit. First of all the gorgeous location is right next to a covered bridge crossing a river, can't get more Vermont than that! The inside is warm inviting and fresh with nice artwork on the walls and a nice hum yet not overly loud either. A nice place to talk over dinner. The Alberti Family who own and run Peasant are unbelievably warm and attentive. Service was prompt, friendly and knowledgeable. There is also a nice full bar with seats to eat at as well. And now to the food...
The menu has a nice selection of several diff plates all of which looked amazing leaving the kitchen. I had the pork, chicken and sausage cassoulet. My friend had the chicken marsala. The cassoulet was the best I've ever had, and so was the marsala which i tried as well.
We also split a risotto as a side, it was a special of the night but was decadent and still toothy the way a true risotto should taste. However the show stopper came at desert. Slow poached prunes in red wine and cinnamon over a soft scoop of delicious marscapone cheese. The single best thing I have had as a desert anywhere.
The food, service and atmosphere put most new york city restaurants to shame. I realize that's quite a statement, I am not over-exaggerating though. I will be making the drive back up again soon. Go there.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

We went on Saturday night of President's day weekend, and were expecting a madhouse. The restaurant was busy, sure, but the service was still great, and our food was delicious. The Pork Osso Bucco was an enormous portion, while the salmon was a small-ish portion but delicious and served with steamed kale that was phenomenal. Ask for Karen as your waitress- she's awesome!

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Had a friendly efficient waitress. When I had a wine question she could not answer, the owner came out and went over and above and made an excellent choice. It was a great meal with a cozy atmosphere. We even struck up a pleasent conversation with the table ajoining ours. A memorable evening. Highly recommended.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

My wife and I couldn't get a reservation so we sat at the bar. What a great choice! Had great cocktails (the Maple Old Fashioned is amazing) and a delicious meal. Food is substantial, so wish we had shared one entree instead of ordering two. Delightful and attentive owner and staff. Can't wait to come back again.