“Home away from home”

Ranked #6 of 15 Waitsfield B&B and Inns
Boston, Massachusetts
“Home away from home”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2013

The only thing better than a country house is a FRIEND with a country house. Feeling right at home is easy at the Wilder Farm Inn -- you're invited to start a fire in the fireplace and find S'mores fixings are right there (a cozy touch). Luke and Linda offer the best of both: comfort and feeling of your own Mad River ski haus and a host serving breakfast or providing advice on local activities. I've been visiting the area for years -- they make it easy to arrive, unpack and relax.

Room Tip: Millbrook rooms are above the public area -- and front of the house faces roadway. Opt for rooms in...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tvlexperts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Waldwick, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

Just got home from my 3rd trip to the Wilder Farm Inn and am already planning my next trip up! Owners Luke and Linda are fabulous, the accommodations above expectations, and of course there is the ever amazing breakfasts... Always an excellent experience!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Hartford, Connecticut, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 15, 2012

"Not worth the rating" reviewer, you must not have "got it!' Too bad you were not able to have the same experience Kim and I have every time we stay at the Wilder Farm Inn. In a word..Wonderful! I'm not a big hotel person, or world traveler, but I know a place is right for me when I can sleep like I'm at home. Wilder Farm Inn provides that environment, and Luke and Linda make you feel right at home!

I was staying at the inn during (Not worth the rating) reviewers stay. In fact, we arrived while Luke and Linda were trying to speaking to the reviewer and his wife, obviously a tense situation. Having experienced Luke and Linda's hospitality before, we noticed right away that they were attentive to the couple, appeared genuinely concerned, and were obviously doing what ever they could for the "unhappy" couple.
The reviewer states that "In particular, the innkeepers seemed uninterested in their guests," I disagree, Luke and Linda are two of the warmest, friendliest Inn Keepers I've encountered.
Maybe the unwelcome feeling was propagated from the attitude you ("Not worth...reviewer) giving-off!! Based from your ("Not worth...reviewer) perception the Inn was not achieving your expectation! Again, too bad for you, but no reason to slam the Inn....

If you get the idea behind B&Bs, into country decor, clean rooms, beautiful pottery, quiet grounds, old houses, wicked nice people, and Vermont...this is the place for you!

Oh, by the way I can agree with the reviewer about one thing: Breakfast is awesome!

new jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

I don't typically write reviews but my husband and I do utilize TripAdvisor as a resource when planning our travels. However, after reading the last guest's review, I felt compelled to share my experience.
Let me start by saying that we visit Vermont a minimum of 2 times a year and there has never been a time when we haven't stayed at the Wilder Farm Inn or had anything but an awesome experience. From the moment we arrive at the Inn, we feel completely at home. Not only is the Inn decorated beautifully with the utmost attention to detail, but Luke and Linda are nothing but friendly and welcoming...even if you do arrive a little earlier than the actual check-in time.
Our last visit was during the height of Fall Foliage, and while it was a very busy time, not only were all of our needs met, but my husband and I enjoyed numerous conversations with both Linda & Luke. After enjoying a delicious breakfast (which always incorporated homemade items along with local and organic too), Luke took the time to sit with us to help plan out our day, and every place he suggested was a hit!!
Our room was not only pretty and extremely clean, but it gives you the feeling that Luke and Linda really make the effort to keep things up-to-date.
So far, we have stayed in 5 out of the 8 different rooms and couldn't pick a favorite if we tried.
In addition to the beautiful rooms, we love the common space...a large living room with a TV, a guest computer, telephone and rest room; a library with an awesome fireplace, comfy and cozy chairs/couch with a large selection of books, the latest magazines, games, etc..and a very large dining room with another awesome fireplace with delicious Vermont tea which is always available to the guests...and the best part, something yummy waiting for us in the afternoon to snack on.
I can go on but I should try to cut this review somewhat short. All in all, the bottom line is that the Wilder Farm Inn is a great place with great hosts and that is why my husband and I continue to go back time after time. It is a true gem...from the time you arrive until the time you depart...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CathyNJ
Johannesburg, South Africa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

This Inn gets a high rating on TripAdvisor but in my opinion it does not deserve the rating. In particular, the innkeepers seemed uninterested in their guests. We arrived before check-in time and asked if we could sit in the lounge - we were told in no uncertain terms that we are not welcome before check-inn. This on a freezing day in October and us having booked for 3 nights at the inn. The room has a detached bathroom, which means it is three doors down from the room and freezing. The breakfast was very good and the sole saving grace for this place. I do not recommend staying here and having travelled the world extensively must state I have not ever felt as unwelcome as I did here.

6 Thank IngeJHB
Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012

I recently stayed here for one night with my mother while visiting Vermont. Both our room and the B&B's common rooms were very comfortable. Breakfast was amazing - we even saw as Luke went outside to pick some of the ingredients after we ordered! Luke and Linda were very friendly and welcoming hosts. We would definitely stay here again.
Be sure to meet Randy the Maine Coon who roams the grounds :-)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Pensacola, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for two nights while enjoying the fall foliage. We stayed in the Robin room which was very comfortable and quiet. We had dinner at restaurants that Luke suggested and were very happy with both - American Flatbread and Mint. The breakfasts were absolutely delicious - my favorite was probably the pecan pumpkin pancakes. The time around the table with the other guests (our large table was full) was easy and pleasant. I also enjoyed the view of the fire while eating breakfast. I must say my favorite time of the day was in the evenings when we return to the inn after dinner. Both nights we were blessed to have the large sitting area with the big fireplace to ourselves. Luke had the wood already for a match so it was simple to get the fire going. My husband and I relaxed with our books, made some hot tea and had a tasty biscotti (available for guests), kept the fire burning and I felt like I was in "heaven". Of course, other guests would be walking through the room and I invited them all to sit and join us but they just passed through after a few words of greetings. The whole environment was very warm, friendly, and peaceful. We also enjoyed seeing Luke's pottery and ended up buying a few pieces.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
WilderFarmInn, Owner at Wilder Farm Inn B&B, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Thanks so much for your lovely review. It always does our hearts good when we feel that our guests really "get it" - and, it sounds like you did. To hear that you enjoyed the warmth & ambiance of the inn, our dinner suggestions and breakfast.- it makes us feel like we're doing something right. Since purchasing the Wilder Farm Inn in 2004, it's always been our hope to create a place where guests feel comfortable, welcomed and happy. Thanks much and we hope to see you again!
Luke & Linda
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waitsfield
The Inn at Round Barn Farm
#7 of 15 in Waitsfield
White Horse Inn
White Horse Inn
#1 of 15 in Waitsfield

Been to Wilder Farm Inn B&B? Share your experiences!