“Really Really Good”

Ranked #9 of 15 Waitsfield B&B and Inns
New England
“Really Really Good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2009

My wife and I had an excellent stay at the Inn. After reading the other positive reviews- especially NYCRacer-- I can't add much except to say- very clean accomodations- unpretentious and gracious hosts- and great food/ drinks. I highly recommend the spot. Good value

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Hebrew first
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2009

Full Disclosure: I am a BIG fan and repeat visitor to The Weathertop Mountain Inn. And while the vast majority of the reviews on TripAdvisor glow, I thought I'd respond, with FACTS, to some of the negative comments to help you better plan your next trip to The Mad River Valley.

Before I get to the fact checking bit of my review, I'd like to make a point that I don't think has been adequately addressed in most of the reviews to date.

The dining is absolutely superb. Mike and Lisa have traveled the world both on business and pleasure and brought home, delicious ingredients and cooking techniques to share with their guests. There are a few good dining options in the Mad River Valley outside of the Weathertop's kitchen (and Mike and Lisa will happily recommend where to go to suit your dining mood), but for unpretentious fine dining that rivals the better restaurants in NYC, you would do best to save at least one night for "dining in." How good is it? Well, I'm not generally a fish person, but when I tasted my wife's Arctic Char Numazu with a creamy Wasabi-ginger and dark soy sauce, and further learned that Mike can call his fish guy at the Boston docks up until 10 o'clock at night and he'll have fresh fish at his door by noon the next day? Well, I was sold. I enjoyed my own order of Arctic Char Numazu the next evening. It was outstanding. Paired with fresh oven-roasted seasonal vegetables, and tricolor fettuccine lightly dressed in a garlic, crème fraîche sauce, this might have been this particular meat-lover's favorite meal of our stay! Vegetables and starch side dishes vary every night and will likely not be the same when you dine. Except they will be fresh and delicious whatever they are.

And for penny-pinchers (and these days, who among us is not?), I would like to point out that when I come to The Weathertop, it is in conjunction with The Green Mountain Stage Race. A bicycle race that on some days sends me up and over at least two of the mountain passes with some of the country's best bicycle racers. In four days of racing, I cover close to 200 miles. Why do you care? Because after 4 hours of racing my bicycle on a given day, I'm hungry. Really, really hungry. And after dinner? I'm full. Really, really full.

Dinners include a salad and as much bread as you care to eat. By comparison, one day after a race in Burlington, VT, my wife and I dined at the well-regarded American Flatbread restaurant (recommended to us by Mike an Lisa, no less). Basically it's a fancy pizza-place. Very good. Enjoyable, and I recommend it, but still, it's a fancy pizza joint. Used to delish salads at the Weathertop, I thought I would give Flatbread's salad a try.

I would say that it was equally yummy and gourmet (Iceberg lettuce and mealy under-ripe tomato lovers beware). But costs an extra $6. Again, salad is included in the price of a Weathertop dinner. So, if you think $18 is expensive for Arctic Char fish dinner, just pretend you're going to pay $6 for Lisa's salad and then you have a $12 gourmet entree and that, by any calculation, is a ridiculously good deal.

Finally, if you are a wine-lover...Mike's wine collection numbers in the neighborhood of 150 bottles and seems to be growing every week. I'm not an expert when it comes to wines, so I won't even attempt to do his cellar justice, but they always had an excellent suggestion, by the glass or the bottle with whatever we were eating. A few years back, we stayed at the inn with some friend's who are wine aficionados and Mike and my friend talked for what seemed like days about various vintages and grapes and regions.

Okay, now to address some of the specific criticisms of other reviews:

Canadian_2 gives the inn 4/5 but says, "Breakfast is fabulous although a bit slow if you're itching to get out on the slopes."

I say, "Breakfast is made to order, choose from fresh eggs (their egg guy calls at 7am on the dot every Wednesday), plate-sized pancakes, french toast, fruit and granola topped yogurt parfaits and more. Walk a few steps down a hallway, sit in a dining room order your breakfast, eat and get out the door. If you MUST get going even faster (slow down a little people, you're on vacation!), a bowl of fruit, coffee, tea, hot chocolate, organic granola and milk is always at the ready."

Sailgreece says, "I did check the bed and I did notice a clump of hair with some light staining. I have to say what really spoiled my weekend in Vermont was the Innkeepers. Horrible personalities and not very friendly, my family always felt like we weren't welcomed at this Inn."

I say, "Wow. Sailgreece, are you sure you stayed at The Weathertop? Seriously folks, read the other reviews. The inn is clean. Really clean. 'Nuff said. As far as "horrible personalities?" I can't promise that you are going to be best friends with Mike and Lisa (my wife and I happen to enjoy chit-chatting talking with them while we're enjoying our meals, or when we pass on the way in or out, but whatever, that's us), but above all Mike and Lisa are professional innkeepers and have carloads full of repeat customers that would take exception to Sailgreece's comments.

Kitnfish says, "There is small hot tub."

I say, "I don't know what kind of swimming pool-sized hot-tubs Kitnfish is used to, but the inn's hot tub is square and has seating areas with massaging jets for 4 people. When sitting all the way down in the tub, only my head sticks out of the water. I'm only 5'-9", so your results may vary. Can you do a full-on stretched-out back float in the tub with 3 other people? No."

VTChris says, "That said, the hot tub was quite small and indoor which would not be a problem if the ventilation were better. Eyes quickly began to burn, which may also be due to the greenish water. The sauna only seats two, which didn't really matter since it wouldn't heat up."

I say, "Geesh, again with the hot tub? C'mon people. Let me try this again. The hot tub has seating for 4! FACT. And ventilation problems? Well, the hot tub and sauna is on the first floor and is in a room that has a sliding glass door that opens onto a garden area. In fact I can almost reach the door handle from inside the tub. And I'm not a tall man. FACT. And the only time I saw "greenish water" was when I was playing with the colored lights that highlight a small decorative waterfall/spout on one end of the tub. The tub's default setting for temperature is 102 degrees but can be bumped up to 104. I personally enjoyed getting insanely hot in the tub and/or sauna (which is cozy for two only...but really, in my opinion, when you are doing that kind of Finnish-style sweating, you don't want a crowd with you), and then taking two steps out of the sliding glass door into the cool night air and watching steam rise into the stars as I cooled down again.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NYCRacer
Vermont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2009

Stayed there on Father's Day weekend with our two mini-Schnauzers, and had a good time. A great place for a quiet weekend away. Our room was very clean, the grounds well-kept, and we were really impressed with the meals. They serve breakfast and dinner for their guests only. We reserved the Get-Away Package, and felt it was a great deal for the price. Would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2009

Guest rooms: Very pretty and comfortable.
Common rooms: Spacious, exquisitely decorated.
Sauna and hot tub: mmm, mmm, mmm.
Inn Keepers: Friendly, attentive, fun, but not "excessively present".
Gounds: Beautifully landscaped. Flowers, stream, hummingbirds, all against backdrop of forest.
Area: Picturesque little town. Beautiful driving scenery. Lovely walking trails through woodland, farmland, along rivers, etc. Very fun farmers' market features organic produce, yummy food, great art, and live music.
Breakfast: Delightful (OK, the coffee could be a bit stronger, but I say that about most coffee).
Dinner: Over the top, excellent! Seriously, you want this dining experience.
Overall ambience: Peace

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Little Falls
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2009

We were very impressed during our stay at the Weathertop. The beautifully decorated common areas and guestrooms are immaculately clean. Relaxing in the jacuzzi and sauna after a long day of skiing was the perfect way to unwind. The comfortable game room is well stocked with classic games, a pool table, darts, books, etc. The innkeepers, Mike and Lisa, are extremely friendly and helpful. It's obvious they really care about running a high quality establishment and strive to make guests comfortable with thoughtful amenities and attentive service.

A cooked-to-order breakfast was included with our stay and everything was delicious. Dinners are also available for an extra cost, and it's well worth it. It was so good the first night that we changed our plans from going out to dinner to staying there for dinner a second time to try more menu items. There is an extensive wine list too, and Mike helped us with selections that were perfect for our meals.

We highly recommend the Weathertop Mountain Inn.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
New york
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2009

Excellent time....would certainly stay again. A bit of everything...attention to detail....amiable hosts...excellent wine cellar!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2009

Just returned from wonderful weekend at the Weathertop Mountain Inn. Rooms were very nice, and immaculately clean. We originally discovered the Inn through a "pet-friendly" website, and although we didn't bring a pet, the pet policy seems very reasonable. The Inn has a great common room with fireplace for relaxing and reading and a game room with pool, darts and lots of games - everything is wonderfully maintained. The best surprise of the weekend was the spectacular food. Mike and Lisa obviously have a passion for great food - evident in their breakfasts, dinner menu and really special Asian Dining experience, which was THE BEST :) .... very convenient location to ski ..... we will be back for sure

• Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waitsfield
The Inn at Round Barn Farm
Mad River Barn Inn, Restaurant & Pub
Millbrook Inn
Millbrook Inn
#13 of 15 in Waitsfield

Been to Weathertop Mountain Inn? Share your experiences!