“I want to go back NOW”
Review of Lareau Farm Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Waitsfield
Lareau Farm Inn
Ranked #11 of 15 Waitsfield B&B and Inns
new york
“I want to go back NOW”
Reviewed February 23, 2008

I was really busy but we had a trip planned with the family to stay in the Inn. The real draw was the American Flatbread Restaurant which is connected to the Inn literally and the only way to get a guaranteed reservation is to be a guest at the Inn.
When we pulled up to the Inn, it honestly did not look like like anything special. Guests are invited to kick off their boots and shoes at the door to help save the floors, and there are two baskets full of slippers to well, slip into. Our room was on the outside, so I wasn't enthused about braving the cold to get to my room, but it was a dry cold and it wasn't uncomfortable. The rooms themselves have no TVs and phones, but that led to the air of relaxation. The decor was homey and comfortable and whimisical. I instantly felt calm and relaxed .The baked goods on the counter and the carafes of coffee and hot water for tea or hot chocolate in the main parlorwere very welcoming. Then we went to the Flatbread restaurant. Even with the reservations, there was a wait and no place really to stand out of the way of the hard working staff, but when all was said and done, the wait was worth it! The food was just as wonderful as promised and sitting near the clay oven was a treat. The local beer was a nice touch too. I didn't have dessert, but the dessert was less than spectacular. I was just entranced by the flatbread! We spent an evening playing games by the fire. The next morning, the breakfast part of the B & B was outstanding. I never tasted such great food and ate quite a bit to fuel a day of cross country skiing. That evening, we sat around the fire and talked with other guests. The inn provides games, well played with, and tons of books are scattered about the house to be perused by the guests. They invite you to take and/or leave one at your desire. All and all, I would love to go back!

• Liked — the genuine feel of hospitality
  • Disliked — the board games could be more updated.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank geologymomNewYork

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
new york, ny
Reviewed February 11, 2008

We stay at B&Bs fairly often and the Lareau Farm was, for us, a stand-out. Where to begin?

I'll start with the rooms since that's the first "B" in "B&B". Our room was wonderful. It was cozy and interesting. There was no fluffy, frilly, over-cutified, over-studiedness to them. They were simple and comfortable and colorful and eclectic. I'm not much of an interior decor person (my wife is though), but i know what i DON'T like. The rooms at the Lareau farm were decorated in a fashion that appeals to me. But at the Lareau Farm (unlike many B&Bs) there was no reason to stay in your room. The "public" areas were vast and open and wonderful. We went to our rooms to sleep; the rest of the time (when we were around the Inn) we spent in those great and large open rooms or around the fire.

So that's the "B". The other "B" -- Breakfast -- was outstanding. I'm not even hungry right now and i'm still hankering for the food. Fresh ingredients, non-standard taste combinations, and plenty of it. No skimping on the portions at all. It was served in a big OPEN room surrounded by windows with views to wide-open fields. Too often, a bed and breakfast feels closed-in. Just the opposite here. That big room was a wonderful place to eat a meal. And the service wasn't so much "service" because the people were friendly and non-pretentious and non-standoffish -- they didn't take a service attitude, but provided excellent service.

My wife and i like our privacy and some B&B owners sit down and try to be pals in what i consider to be a forced way. Other B&B owners do just the opposite: they interact with you like hotel staff, completely non-personal. Lisbeth and the staff at the Lareau Farm struck -- for us -- the perfect balance of genuine friendliness and respect for our privacy. After three nights, both my wife and i felt very warmly toward Lisbeth and the staff. We felt like we were part of the place.

Lisbeth is very generous and runs the Inn like it was her home and we were her guests. She creates an environment of unspoken trust, much like a household, where we could help ourselves when appropriate and get help when needed. The big, open environment of that wonderful old house became, after a day or so of being there, as comfortable to us as any place i can recall ever staying. We went in and out of the kitchen area, helped ourselves to suprising and tasty things, and felt like the house was ours to explore and occupy. And even though the Inn was fairly full, we still felt like we had our place there. We never felt crowded.

I should mention that the Lareau Farm has a very cool and unique aspect to it that added a LOT of fun to the stay. Namely, it's literally attached to a restaurant called Flatbread (or something like that). It's a pizza restaurant and the PIZZA IS INCREDIBLY GOOD. It's the sort of place that is so good and so non-standard (woodfired oven; all organic and local ingredients; has a bonfire out back) that a line of 30 people on the nights it is open (fri and sat, i think) is not unusual. As Inn guests, we got a nifty privilege of being able to scoot to the front of the line. Lisbeth took care of all the details for us. And as a pizza snob, i can say without exaggeration that the pizza was top tier.

The restaurant added another aspect to the Inn experience that i liked: there was stuff going on around the Inn. It wasn't intrusive at all, but there were people coming and going on occasion carrying pies or whatever and it was fun for our kids as well as just fun to have a buzz of stuff happening. But i definitely don't want to give the impression that it was *busy* in any sense. There was just an occasional clack as a door opened and someone came in to talk with Lisbeth or to use the oven in the kitchen (wonderful baking smells!) and we'd go in with our kids to see what was up. There was a vibe of dynamicness (that's probably not a word, but...) which made it just plain more fun.

What else? Did i mention that the Farm is an old beautiful New England house in a huge meadow with a forested hill rising sharply behind it? One day we went for a long hike up the hill on a clear path. The kids loved it.

This is the first review i've ever done on this site and i don't tend to take the time to review stuff. But as we were driving away after a long weekend at the Lareau Farm, my wife and I decided that we should give something back to the place and to Lisbeth. We wanted to return the favor for the wonderful time we had had. We will be staying at the Lareau Farm again. We'll go out of our way to stay there. It's a place that, for us, will be a yearly migration.

• Stayed January 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank misterbny
Richmond, VA
Reviewed September 18, 2007

We were traveling through New England for 8 days in August 2007 and needed a base spot for two nights in Vermont. The room we stayed in had a full bed and three twins that accommodated our family with two sons nicely. The rooms were someone country and the bathrooms were alittle dated but suited us well. The problem we had was the surprise we found after we came in from dinner about 10:00 pm the first night. The air conditioner had dripped inside all over the carpet right by our bed...maybe for days. You could not get in or out of the bed without stepping in it. It was too late to call the innkeeper and you could hardly do anything that late at night anyway. We reported it at breakfast the next morning and when we came back after a day in Burlington, it appeared to be fixed and there was a fan blowing to dry it out. The carpet was dry when we returned, but woe to someone who may stay after us that may be allergic to mold. Since we stayed mid-week, the American Flatbread was not open for buisness, so nighttime noise was not an issue. We did eat at the American Flatbread in Burlington and enjoyed outdoor service. Breakfasts were good with self-service cereal/bread and fruits plus a made-to-order entre. I think if we were to return to the area, I would stay somewhere else....it was not so good that I feel like I would stay here again. (We stayed at 4 different inns on this NE trip and this was our least favorite.) Maybe it would be different in the snowy season? At least the AC would not be running!

• Disliked — Soggy carpet.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank keewart
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed July 3, 2007

great stay for president's day weekend. we stayed here to go cross country skiing nearby. the owner was friendly, the breakfast and freshly baked cookies were delicious, and the rooms were comfortable. the flatbread restaurant next door was good, but not worth the really long wait.

Stayed February 2007
Vermont
Reviewed June 25, 2007

We stayed at the Lareau Farm Inn for a wedding. My husband and I rarely go away so this was going to be a mini-vacation for us. The location is spectacular in the valley and the wedding pavillion and fields are well maintained (except for the sewage smell that occasionally permeated the reception from the septic I suppose).

I have two complaints which I will share for people considering this location. 1. Don't stay in the "Love" room. It is located at the bottom of a flight of stairs and is not worth the price. Though the bathroom is large with a jacuzzi tub the noise from people coming up and down the stairs, either just talking or with luggage is beyond bothersome. In addition, the owners have decided to place a children's set of wicker furniture and tea set on the porch right outside the bedroom window. Totally inappropriate. This leads to parents and children playing outside early when you want a restful lazy morning.

My second complaint is the innkeeper and housekeeper. They are both shockingly rude. Don't believe the 11 AM check out because they make it VERY clear they want you out ASAP. My husband was practically berated by the housekeeper saying things like "we're waiting on you to leave" and the innkeeper said to us "we take Visa or Mastercard" totally unprovoked without a question being asked by either of us while we were eating breakfast. They seem put out by people staying at the inn which is the opposite reaction one would expect. I think I rather stay at a hotel next time.

Not worth the money. Try another inn. There are tons in the valley.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The staffs sttitudes
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
San jose, Ca.
Reviewed March 3, 2007

I have had the privalege of staying here twice. Once in the summer and once in the winter. Both times were fabulous. In the summer I was able to spend hours on the porch relaxing and smelling the wonderful aroma of wood fired pizza coming from American Flatbread. In the winter, I could choose between snowshoeing along the Mad River or curling up in front of the fireplace in one of the sitting rooms.

The ambience is unique, and tasteful, and you can just feel how much love and thoughtfulness has gone into making it feel like home. If the Inn feels like home, then Lisabeth, the Inn keeper, feels like a sister. Her breakfast is like something out of a gourmet magazine, without any pretension, and she makes it seem effortless. She will go out of her way to make your stay as comfortable as possible.

I feel as if I have discovered the best secret in travel. An absolute jewel, in a world where warmth and hospitality have become almost a thing of the past. I will return again and again for my "fix".

• Liked — Homey atmosphere
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled solo
1 Thank gordoSanjose
NH
Reviewed January 9, 2007

Or family chose to stay at this cozy inn over the Christmas holiday. It was easy to find. Parking closeby. The flatbread restaurant immediately nextdoor was closed so our stay was entirely peaceful. Inside the firepmlace was lit, freshbaked goodies, hot chocolate tea and coffee were available in the kitchen. Decorated for the season quite festively. Rooms were quaint, like staying at grandmother's, beds covered with quilts, very simple and clean. Breakfasts fabulous. Innkeeper very personable and available, happy to give dining and recreation suggestions and reccommendations in the Valley. The only thing missing was the snow!

Stayed December 2006
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waitsfield
The Inn at Round Barn Farm
#7 of 15 in Waitsfield
Weathertop Mountain Inn
Weathertop Mountain Inn
#9 of 15 in Waitsfield

Been to Lareau Farm Inn? Share your experiences!