“Wonderful experience, room needs some work...”
Review of Lareau Farm Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Waitsfield
Lareau Farm Inn
Ranked #11 of 15 Waitsfield B&B and Inns
vermont
“Wonderful experience, room needs some work...”
Reviewed September 12, 2011

This inn is lovely and the whole experience was wonderful. I will say, however, that the room itself where we stayed (Kindness) was just okay. The bed was really saggy and uncomfortable. The rest was ok but not great- shower was not totally clean, room fixtures outdated. Nothing that's absolutely horrible but just a bit disappointing.
The breakfast at the inn was DELICIOUS, so that and the overall atmosphere makes up for the horrible sleep in that bed!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank katevermont

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Berkeley, California
Reviewed August 20, 2011

We booked the Inn primarily for location and an interest in meals at American Flatbread...which we had heard so much about from Vermont friends. We were disappointed to arrive on a Monday for two nights, only to find out that the restaurant is closed then! Oh well, the breakfasts were delicious and we enjoyed the very laid back atmosphere once we got used to it. I would avoid the Lareau Farm if they were hosting a wedding weekend though, it would be tough to be a traveling couple staying there with a full wedding party...and I got the impression this is a large part of their business. They would do well to block out some times for B and B only, including farm tours. We took ourselves on a walk around but had little interaction with any innkeepers who tended to only be attentive during breakfast. No greeting upon arrival, no orientation, seemed a little too casual for a B and B.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank cepstein
Swansea, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 12, 2011

My husband and I set out on our 4 1/2 hour trip to the Inn with great expectations. Driving down the mountain road we were anxious to see the lovely farmhouse promised on the brochure. Unfortunately, upon arrival we were met with a beat up old farmhouse. Needless to say, we were very apprehensive upon opening the front door. There was a bell so I rung it and when no one appeared I opened the door and went in. I started calling "hello, hello" when a women (Innkeeper) appeared, looking annoyed and said "didn't you see your note?" It was about that time that I had glanced down to see a note addressed to me telling me where my room was, what the rules were (ie, no eating in your room,etc) what time breakfast was served (8-9:30am) and that although tips are not required they would be appreciated.
We found our room and ended up having to ask to stay in a different room because the room was upstairs and I was having problems with my knee. The Innkeeper Lisabeth offered a downstairs room although she did seem annoyed she said there was no shower in that room just a hot tub but my husband could use the shower upstairs as no one was in that end of the Inn at the time. I was happy about the hot tub because I thought it would help my sore knee. When I ran the water for the hot tub, the cold water just kept going and I had to keep turning back and forth to get it to semi shut off. I get in the tub and look down and there was this black stuff floating all over the top of the water swirling around me. I immediately got up and out of there. The sitting area with the TV had couches that felt like you were going to end up on the floor you felt wood on the back of your legs. These sofa's felt and looked like they came from the local landfill!
Although the brochure promised baked goods in the afternoon, I never saw any nor did I see the Innkeeper very much except for breakfast.
Oh, and breakfast, the first breakfast we sat with the three other people staying at the Inn.
We went and got ourselves the self-service coffee and it was barely warm and surprisingly not Green Mountain coffee. We were served berries and yogurt, orange juice was on the table, then we were served french toast with melted sharp cheddar cheese, cooked apples piled on top with cranberries(I think) sprinkled over with syrup. It just looked like a plate piled with I don't know what, it didn't look appealing I will tell you that and the Innkeeper keeps telling you about her abilities as a Chef. If she is a great Chef, I must be Emeril because as far as I'm concerned she is no Chef.
The only nice thing was getting to go to the American Flatbread Company. The whole dining experience there was fun and the staff was really very nice. If you go to the green mountains of Vermont stay far away from the Lareau Farm Inn but make sure you do go to the American Flatbread Company!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank cmcoroa
NY
Reviewed April 4, 2011

I was traveling to do a race in the area and this place was recommended. There were several changes with the arrival and departure dates due to an unexpected family death. The Inn Keeper Lizabeth was fantastic with the changes. She held her word charging us the orignally quoted rate.

On top of that, she and Sam were extremely accomodating. There were great recommendations of places to ski, and what to check out in the town. She kindly answered our many questions about the area and the inn. We even got ideal dinner reservation times at the Flatbread.

We already are planning our trip back!!!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bubbyNY
Boston
Reviewed February 7, 2011

The LaReau Farm Country Inn was wonderful! The staff were fantastic, very attentive and kind. The breakfast was delicious and the afternoon fresh baked cookies were such a treat! The rooms were comfy and cozy, I slept like a rock. I highly recommend staying here, and can't wait to return!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Nicole02113
New Jersey
Reviewed January 1, 2011

I highly recommend Lareau Farm. I've stayed at other B&B's while skiing in New England, and most of them I would rate as "OK"...nice people, but typically operated at a novice level, on a shoestring budget, with facilities not very well maintained, and often not very clean. Given that the room rates at Lareau Farm were very reasonable for the Mad River Valley during Christmas/ New Year's Week, candidly I was not expecting much beyond an acceptable place to sleep after a day of skiing, but our stay was a pleasant surprise in many ways. First and foremost, Lizabeth, the innkeeper, is a pro. She has an extensive background in the hospitality business, unlike many other B&B operators where is seems like their business is no more than a hobby. The rooms were well maintained, the breakfasts were way beyond standard B&B fare, the homemade baked goods available to guests all day long were terrific, and we very much appreciated the genuinely friendly staff. We will definitely return here.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DanHNewJersey
houston, tx
Reviewed December 29, 2010

I took a trip to Vermont during foliage season this year and I can't say enough positive things about Lareau Farm Country Inn. The innkeeper Lisabeth is so warm and is not shy about giving you recommendations for dining and recreation in the area. Her breakfasts are insane. One morning we had huge breakfast burritos full of chorizo, avocado and eggs, the next it was belgian waffles with fruit compote. There is always some tantalizing baked goodie set out for snacking during the day.

Lisabeth tends to stay out of your way because she wants you to feel at home, and she is very successful at creating this vibe. She has placed such thoughtful help-yourself items like cell phone chargers and toiletries throughout the house, and if you end up getting into one of the books in her library she'll let you keep it.

If I ever find myself in the Mad River Valley again, and I hope I do, I will definitely return. For all that you get, this place is a bargain at about $115 a night.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple