“It was beautiful, comfortable, relaxing and especially friendly.”

The Inn at Round Barn Farm
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Waitsfield
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Illinois
“It was beautiful, comfortable, relaxing and especially friendly.”
Reviewed November 11, 2009

Since I was there for only one evening and on business I wasn't able to experience all that the Inn had to offer nor the surrounding area. Everyone went out of their way to make me very comfortable. I loved my room with fabulous views, fireplace and very very comfortable bed. They also were very helpful in finding the perfect spot for me to have a bite to eat for dinner along with options for a great run or walk. Look forward to going back sometime next year to take it all in.

Stayed October 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed November 6, 2009

Cottage cheese pancakes. Vermont rasberry maple syrup. Vermont dark roast coffee. Need I say more?
The Inn at the Round Barn Farm was cosy, warm, and friendly. Staff was very knowledgeable and accomodating. Waitsfield, VT was a great little town. Will definitely go back soon.

1 Thank jamminben
Indiana
Reviewed November 3, 2009

New Mexico has the title "Land of Enchantment." No disrespect meant towards New Mexico but I think Vermont, in general, and The Inn at Round Barn Farm, in particular, could give New Mexico a "run for the money" when it comes to that claim.

We first came in contact with this inn 8 years ago when we were returning home to Indiana from a summer stay in Bar Harbor, Maine. Since we had never before visited Vermont and would only be spending one night in that state we wanted a bed and breakfast that would be representative of all the charm Vermont had to offer. We chose well.

During that short visit of a few hours (5 P.M.-10 A.M.) Round Barn wove a spell of magic that stayed with us for almost an entire decade. The rooms were beautiful and luxurious--but so are they at many places. I am not sure what it was that made the biggest impression on us. Perhaps it was: sitting on the porch at sunset watching the cows settle down in the field across the road; seeing stars sparkle in the sky without the hindrance of streetlights or industry; being seranaded to sleep by bullfrogs in ponds outside our bedroom windows; waking at midnight to reclaim a purse accidentally left on the front porch and finding it untouched. Or maybe it was just the light and air. They seem different at this place.

I retired from teaching in June and the first order of business on my agenda was an autumn return trip to The Inn at Round Barn Farm with my husband. I was a little disconcerted with 2 discoveries I made as I was planning our vacation. First, the latest edition of Frommer's book: "Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine" lists The Inn at Round Barn Farm on page 11 as one of the four best bed and breakfasts in those 3 states.. So much for my private little hideaway! Second, the September/October issue of Yankee Magazine had a great article: "Driver's Delight" in which they say that Vermont's Route 100 may be the best place in all of New England to look for fall color. In the article they tell about the great sights to be seen along Route 100 and have 1 picture of a bed and breakfast--Inn at Round Barn Farm. Nothing like the whole world knowing where your secret garden is! I was really nervous when I called the inn to make my reservation. I did not get the exact days I wanted (in the first 2 weeks of Oct.) but was able to book 3 days at the end of September in the Abbott Suite.

Had fame and fortune changed the Inn at Round Barn Farm? Not in the least! What did we enjoy this time around that will pull us back for another visit? Beautiful fall foliage outside every window; a warm fireplace to read a book in front of while enjoying Vermont wine, cheese, and apples (from tree in front yard;) companionship of the most delightful guests on the front porch, in the library, and on the patio in the back yard; and the "coup de grace": the inn keeper (Tim) and staff (Stephanie) who took the time to sit down with us, sharing their knowledge of area landmarks while painting the most lovely pictures of life in Vermont.

In closing I would like to ask you to write to me should you visit The Inn at Round Barn Farm. Is it my imagination or is the light and air really different there--a spark of magic in Vermont?

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Brogan
Portland, OR
Reviewed October 31, 2009

We stayed here for 3 nights in the Abbott Room during the peak of the leaf season . The room was well appointed, with a jetted tub, steam shower, couch, fireplace and king sized bed. Another reviewer didn't like the plastic reusable water bottles; I thought they were a very nice, environmental touch (and I'm not squeamish about using tap water). The provided bath robes were nice enough that I ended up purchasing one.

My 2 complaints about the room: the plumbing to the water closet had a fairly hideous smell and we found the bed uncomfortable. The problem with the bed is the mattress was older than dirt, but they threw a 3-4 inch thick tempurpedic-type cushion on top of it. While that makes the bed squishy, it doesn't take care of the slope created by the worn mattress. The plumbing issue didn't bother us too much, we just made sure to keep the bathroom door closed at all times.

I personally feel that the quality of the bed is a major factor when it comes to selecting a good hotel. But even though that alone in most cases would keep me from coming back to a hotel, everything else about this B&B was so great that I was more than able to look past a couple of flaws. The common areas were cozy and nice to relax in. I loved the covered front porch, the common area by the fireplace and spent a little time in the game room. The grounds are fun to walk around and take pictures in. We also decided to take a short hike in the trails across the street. (Not recommended in Fall, we had a hard time finding the trail out and ended up slogging through wet cow pasture!) It was nice being able to have a glass of wine or a beer and enjoy some quiet time, or talk to other guests. One of the innkeepers was nice enough to open up the art in the barn for us even though it was nearly 9PM and everything had been shut off. It was like having our own private art showing and made the stay very special.

Overall I highly recommend this B&B. Great location, overall friendly staff, very good breakfast and for the most part good accommodations. Oh, and the afternoon snacks are killer!

1 Thank emerldragon
RoundBarnInnkeper, Owner at The Inn at Round Barn Farm, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Many thanks for your review. We appreciate when someone takes the time to be thorough in describing their experience.

You will be happy to know we have addressed the bed concerns in your Abbott Room. We now have a beautiful, sturdy and very comfortable new bed for your reclining pleasure. As we constantly upgrade our inn, it is very helpful to get input from our guests so we can properly prioritize our improvements for maximum benefit for you. I thank you for that.

As far as the plumbing concerns, there are upgraded fixtures there as well. We are also in the process of installing low-flow toilets in all of our rooms so we may be even more friendly to our environment.

I am glad that, overall, it was a positive experience. With the help of your insights, we are confident that you will find your experience with us even more rewarding the next time. Thanks again and we look forward to your return.
Alaska
Reviewed October 31, 2009

From the moment that we checked into the B&B, we were warmly greeted; just in time for appetizers and a glass of wine in front of the fireplace. They made several suggestions about where to eat for dinner, making the reservations for us. The six of us enjoyed our 3 night stay. The staff were very friendly, the rooms, large and comfortable and clean and the breakfasts were wonderful. The scenery outside our windows was beautiful, watching foxes, turkeys and a deer in the early morning light. You won't go wrong choosing to stay at the Inn of the Round Barn.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank walkerAlaska
Santa Fe
Reviewed October 30, 2009

If you have ever dreamed of the most ideal country B&B experience in Vermont, the Inn at the Round Barn will exceed your fondest hopes. We found the Inn to be incredibly charming...warm, inviting, and in the prettiest pastoral setting. The breakfast was to die for. I wish we had been able to spend weeks there. Kudos to owner, Tim Piper, and all his staff!

1 Thank SFeMiss
Israel
Reviewed October 23, 2009

In the middle of green hilly agricultural area, a renovated farm house was tastefully converted to a B&B of a high standard.
A lot of love and money was invested by the marvelous owners who provide their guests a perfect treatment, rich excelent breakfast, a freshly squeezad apple juice picked from their apple trees (see a photo of the squeezing machine) a cosy fireplace, flat TV and free Internet.
We loved this place.
For dinner we highly recommend a fine restaurant on a hilltop. 20 min drive from the inn, "The Common Man" located in an old hunting lodge or so, a wooden structure tastfully decorated which serves excellent dishes and wine (see photo).

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ori888
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waitsfield
Comfort Inn at Maplewood
#3 of 15 in Waitsfield
The Warren Lodge
The Warren Lodge
#2 of 7 in Warren

Been to The Inn at Round Barn Farm? Share your experiences!