“A Fabulous Experience”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Washington DC
“A Fabulous Experience”
Reviewed July 4, 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Inn At Round Barn Farm on a recent trip through Vermont. We were warmly greeted by Tim Piper and was taken on a very complete tour of the facility.
From the first moment, the staff took great pains to make sure we were having a great experience - the food was incredible, the Inn and grounds were stunning.
We stayed in the Richardson Room, which may be the best and most unique room we have ever stayed in.
Breakfast on the stone terrace while gazing out on the impeccably landscaped grounds is not to be missed. But the best part of this Inn is the staff - all friendly and clearly working to make you stay memorable. We cannot wait to visit during the winter.

• Liked — The beautiful property and the staff.
  • Disliked — Nothing
3 Thank bobschmenge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed June 20, 2008

Stayed at the Round Barn in June 2008. Pros are clearly the outstanding breakfast. It is easily one of the best to be found in any inn or B&B. They are very accomodating to various diets and I can't say enough about how nice the breakfast is, scrumptuous stuffed french toast, omelets, crepes and more, even down to the great selection of coffee and teas. In the afternoon they serve cookies and appetizers. These are a really nice touch.

Nicest and quietest rooms in the inn seem to be the Dana Room (very romantic) and the Abbott suite, directly below These are located farthest away from all other hustle and bustle of the Inn. We stayed in the Richardson suite. Despite the skylights, it is somewhat dark, and I would recommend not staying in it as it is in the middle of the Inn and therefore directly above the dining room and patio so it is quite noisy. We were woken up each morning by the goings on in the dining room and/or patio so I would stay away from this room if you like to sleep past 7:30/8AM. Also, since it is above the outside patio, if the windows are open you hear (and presumably vice versa) every conversation going on.

Also, we were clearly on the younger side of guests staying there (under 40) and seems like it is generally a place where an older crowd goes and/or weddings, paid for by mommy and daddy, (the Round Barn is 'affectionately' known around the state as the wedding mill because they churn out so many weddings every weekend).

Overall it is a very nice inn situated in a beautiful location, but is on the pricier end of the spectrum, (feels more like a $200/night than $250-$300 night).

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — room location, certain afternoon staff members, cleanliness of room
2 Thank Beegreen7
RoundBarnInnkeper, Owner at The Inn at Round Barn Farm, responded to this review, July 12, 2008
Dear Beegreen,
I am truely sorry that you did not have a positive experience at my Inn. As with any guest that does not love their room, or the rooms' location, I am happy to move you even if it requires an upgrade. There were other room options available while you were here and if I was aware of the inconvience I would have addressed it right away. I have owned this Inn for more than 20 years, starting when I was 23 years old. It is in my soul to provide a relaxing, friendly, comfortable, quality experience for my much appreciated guests. In regards to the weddings, we do have one of the few facilities in Vermont that is historic, fully restored, and experienced at hosting events. We work hard to make each and every wedding a unique and special day and have tried quite hard to limit the amount we do. Unfortunately, when a bride or groom has their heart set on getting married here, it's hard to look them in the eye and tell them they can't.
. There are many costs involved in saving historic structure's like our Inn and Round Barn. Preserving and maintaining a 245 acre farm is no easy task. For many years my parents and I drove by this old farm and watched the buildings deteriorate. We are grateful we could restore it, share it with others, and do hope you will come back and give us another try.
North Providence, RI
Reviewed June 18, 2008

The mission of the Innkeepers at the Inn at the Round Barn in Waitsfield, Vermont is to provide an atmosphere of comfort and personal attention. They have accomplished this brilliantly! I was there in early June for my daughter's wedding, which went off without a hitch (except for an unnatural heatwave- and who can control the weather?) No detail was too small for them to see to and they did everything in their power to calm the nervous mother of the bride. They even offered to book me a personal massage in my room; such thoughtfulness. As I said, the wedding went beautifully, all our guests commented on the lovely arrangements, the food and the atmosphere (after they said how gorgeous the bride looked and how calm I seemed, which was not surprizing since I was calm due to the ministrations of the Innkeepers, Tim and Anne-Marie)
I had decided to spend some extra time at the Inn after the wedding and it was the perfect place to decompress after 18 months of "wedding frenzy" My every wish was answered and I felt so much at home that I didn't want to leave! Even horrific thunderstorms and a power outtage turned into delightful adventures as we watched the storm from the front porch with a calming glass of wine (courtesey of the Inn for our "inconvenicnce")
The only sad part of my stay was when I had to leave, but I have made new friends and will be back as soon as I can.

• Liked — personal service
  • Disliked — lighting was a bit dim for reading in the room
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank RhodyTraveler_8
Florida
Reviewed June 6, 2008

After reading the reviews, we had high expectations, which were exceeded. A lovely location and easily found. We had booked the Terrace Room because we thought it was "floor" level and would have fewer stairs to climb. However, it was (many stairs) downstairs, so we changed to the Joslyn Room, which was more than perfect. Just off the main floor, surrounded by windows and with a bathroom that was almost as large as the bedroom. Every room of the Inn was lovely with fresh flowers everywhere. In our room, there were tulips. I mentioned how pleased I was by the abundance of lilac bushes on the property as lilacs are my favorite flower. When we returned from lunch the tulips in our room had been replaced by lilacs. As for the rest of the visit... warm, fresh-baked cookies in the afternoon... a sausage en croute hors d'oeuvre at 6pm... orange poppyseed cake, French toast with fresh peach custard, fresh melon, etc. Then, there was the opera master class in the Round Barn, where we experienced a behind-the-scenes glimpse of how a diva is coached. We really wanted to stay longer... next time, we will.

• Liked — Quiet Comfort
  • Disliked — Leaving it.
2 Thank Barrett
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 3, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Inn at Round Barn Farm over the Christmas Holiday. The service and attention to detail were impeccable. The gourmet 3 course breakfast was truly delicious. I took pictures of the Inn, but there is not a need to post them because the pictures on their website are accurate in every way to the appearance of the Inn. The afternoon treats are a great treat after a day on the mountain. We stayed in the Joslin Room and I highly recommend it!! The bathroom is huge, with separate jacuzzi tub and steam shower for two. What a nice treat after a day of snowboarding. We also took a peek at the Abbott Suite and it is gorgeous as well, with a huge bathroom. You can't go wrong with either. Also, if you need to know about anything in the area, ask Tim, he knows everything about the area and was super nice. This was by far, one of my best experiences at a bed and breakfast. I will definitely return.

• Stayed December 2007
1 Thank EasternCoastTraveler
West Hartford, CT
Reviewed October 30, 2007

Our visit happened to be the same two nights as the prior reviewer (Columbiakat on Oct. 29th). We whole heartedly agree with the favorable comments that reviewer included and would add that the Tempurpedic beds slept oh, so, very comfortably!

The steam shower was pure pleasure and warmed us to the bone on a wet rainy Saturday.

Our room had one of the most beautiful views I've ever enjoyed anywhere. The beautiful ponds were rain swollen and gorgeous, the sloping meadow with the cows and barn in the background was just absolutely lovely. Our room was a perfect spot to enjoy the view with a nice glass of wine and just relax.

This staff is the most hospitable of any I've ever met and Cooper the black lab is such a good boy that he won't even venture into the dining room until the very last guest is finished with breakfast!

I don't know how they do it...but something is very, very right here! We look forward to returning soon.

• Liked — Creature Comfort factor
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Skivonnie
New York, NY
Reviewed October 29, 2007

My husband and I just returned from a 2 night visit and I cannot say enough great things about this place.

Our room:
We stayed in the Joslin Room which had gorgeous raspberry colored walls and toile accents. The room was filled with antiques and oriental rugs. There was also a gas fireplace and CD player in the room. The bathroom was positively enormous with a separate jacuzzi tub for two & a steam shower.

Breakfast & Snacks:
Breakfast was served in a large windowed room with several tables. Coffee and juice was served along with freshly baked muffins and fruit. One morning we had cottage cheese pancakes with ham and the next, a variety of quiches with sausage. The staff is more than accommodating as we saw more than one person opting for cereal or oatmeal instead of the full breakfast that was being served. I also enjoyed the fact that every ingredient that is used is locally grown.

Snacks were served in the evening. There were always fresh baked cookies and sweets. One evening there was soup and the next scallops wrapped w/ bacon and chicken sausage baked in pastry. It was just the right amount of food to tide us over until dinner.

Bottled water and Vermont sodas are stocked in the small fridge in the game room which was a nice touch. We didn’t spend a whole lot of time in the game room but there is a TV, a computer w/ internet access, pool table and various books and games.

Staff:
Everyone we met during our stay was so pleasant. Before we arrived, Kate was kind enough to assist us with dinner suggestions as well as spa suggestions. She emailed several times offering her assistance and I really can’t thank her enough as we had wonderful dinners on both nights. She really went the extra mile to assist us.

We had the most interaction with Tim who was one of the nicest people we have ever met. He was at the ready with directions, places to visit, gave us tours of the property and really made us feel welcome.

Anne Marie was also very friendly and cooks a mean breakfast!

And finally, Cooper…what a lovable dog. I can’t wait to see him again!

One very minor thing to point out for those who are not used to B&B’s or old buildings, the wood floors do creak occasionally. As our room was downstairs, we did hear our upstairs neighbors walking around in the evening and early morning. People shouldn’t expect the rooms to be soundproof but for those of you who are sensitive to noise, you should consider booking one of the upstairs rooms. And a note to those staying upstairs-take your shoes off when walking around and be considerate of those staying below.

The thought and care that the staff puts into the place really shows. Truly all details are looked after. And in a testament to how much we loved this place, we already booked our visit for next year!

• Liked — The rooms, food, staff, basically everything!
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
4 Thank columbiakat
Also consider these accommodations in or near Waitsfield
Best Western Plus Waterbury - Stowe
Mad River Barn Inn, Restaurant & Pub
The Warren Lodge
The Warren Lodge
#2 of 7 in Warren

Been to The Inn at Round Barn Farm? Share your experiences!