“Magic salad”

Ranked #6 of 18 Restaurants in Vergennes
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Open May - October, the distinctive decor featuring rough-hewn beams, antique farm equipment, and walls covered in Basin Harbor nostalgia makes The Red Mill Restaurant a resort favorite. The renovated sawmill features the best fresh and local food ingredients, along with signature Vermont brews, including our own Red Chair Ale. It is a casual dining experience you will appreciate. The outdoor playground and horseshoes offer playtime for all ages.
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We have a few meals here while visiting lake champlain and were very happy. Specially by the salads... They seem to grow as you eat so never manage to finish the food in our plates, we try hard!!

Reviewed September 29, 2012

The building really was a mill, so expect rough hewn walls and country charm along with your excellent food. The Kobe burger and turkey panini were both quite tasty, well presented and served at a leisurely pace. The BHC ale is full bodied and refreshing. You might even be lucky to have the experience of a helicopter land next door on the private airstrip.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

It was a moderately priced alternative to the Main Dining room and served us very well for lunch one day. Food was good and service adequate. They seemed to be a bit understaffed but the manager pitched in to the rescue. Nicely decorated and nice bar area.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

We recently had lunch at the Red Mill on the grounds of the Basin Harbor Club. The interior of the restaurant was nicely decorated and had large windows overlooking the airport at the BHC. I ordered the Turkey Panini and my husband ordered the Spinach Salad with an added salmon filet. Our food arrived quickly. My Panini was nicely toasted and very generous. On the other hand, my husband's salmon was very small for the added price. It was about the size of half a deck of cards. Service was very efficent and friendly. I would give the restaurant another try because of the decor and view.

Reviewed August 26, 2012

We went after the maritime museum as it was the closest. We should have gone some where else. We were greeted and seated promptly. The server was a little slow but did come out and bring us our drinks promptly. There was a poor grasshopper stuck in the window between the nick-nacks. She made no effort to remove it or dispose of it - I just didn't want it to land in my food. My husband and I caught it and got it out the side door.

When lunch arrived I had the tuna tartare which came with two sauces - one was a wasabi aioli and the other, per the waitress, was 'I don't know'. I tasted it and it was a chili/ketchup sauce loaded with liquid smoke. I have no idea what I was supposed to use it for.

My husband had a chicken salad sandwich which was a giant thick roll containing a decent amount of chicken salad. Too much gooey white bread which filled him up before he could appreciate the bulk of the meal.

I am giving it two stars simply because the food quality was there (other than the sauce) even if nothing else was.

My advice is keep driving back to town and find somewhere else.