“Welcoming and comfortable” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Emerson Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Vergennes
Emerson Guest House
Ranked #2 of 3 Vergennes B&B and Inns
New Windsor, NY
“Welcoming and comfortable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

We stayed at the Emerson Guest House for one night on our way up to the Champlain islands. The EGH is about a 5 minute walk from shops and restaurants in the center of Vergennes. The owner, Bill, was very friendly and welcoming. There is a large comfortable parlor downstairs. We stayed in the Hampton Room, because it had a king-sized bed and a private bath. The room was large and the bed was firm and very comfortable. The homemade breakfast was really good: fruit, blueberry pancakes, sausage.
Honesty compels me to mention a few negatives. There were a few spots in our room that could have used dusting. Early in the evening we could hear traffic noise from Rt 22A outside, but that seemed to diminish by bed time, and we did not have trouble sleeping. Rooms in the rear of the EGH may be quieter for very light sleepers. The private bath in the Hampton Room appears to possibly be a converted closet and was very cramped; the shower door only opens part way before it hits the toilet. Still, the bathroom was entirely functional, so I'm not really complaining. We were glad to have a private bath.
All in all though, not only would I stay there again, I would really look forward to it.

Room Tip: Be aware that not all of the rooms have private baths. Also, if you are a very light sleeper, a roo...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

We just returned from a short cycling trip around Lake Champlain and spent one night at this charming B & B. The owners are helpful, friendly and knowligible about the attractions, cycling routes and restaurants in the area. We also enjoyed the hearty and delicious homemade breakfast served in the lovely Victorian dining room.

Room Tip: Choose the room with the bathroom so you are not sharing a bathroom with many rooms.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2012

My little sister was running a triathlon in Burlington, and was unable to find a place to stay in town, so she booked this guest house. We were pleased that our room was very clean and comfortable. The owner was friendly and was genuinely concerned that she would be unable to make us breakfast because we were leaving at 5 am for the TrÎ. She was kind and chatted with us for a little bit. We felt very at home and wish we could have stayed for longer!
The house was charming, but it did have squeaky floors. I guess this furthered the Victorian ambiance!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
chester1912, Owner at Emerson Guest House, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
I remember you! I wondered about how the marathon went. We so appreciate your kind words, and we really enjoyed having you with us. All the best! Sue
Tel Aviv, Israel
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2011

The very friendly house, authentic historical wooden building, with historical furniture and dishes.
The real family relation from owner, your are filling as in your own home. The hand-made breakfast was excellent, especially coffee. For short staying - very good choice, for long staying - the one bathroom for all floor is not enough.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Cleveland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2011

My husband and I stayed here in August 2011. The location of Emerson is great-- an easy drive to Burlington and Middlebury. We were a bit disappointed by the upkeep of the house (cracks in the ceiling and difficulty closing doors for instance) but were comfortable overall here. We did have to share a bathroom, which was a bit annoying when we had to wait to use it. And breakfast (delicious!) was served at 9am, making it impossible to get an early start to our day. We did appreciate the TV and free wifi.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank EricandLeah
I would like to thank you for your honest feed-back. I know exactly the room you stayed in! The Hunt room! Yes there were cracks in the ceiling and it had been on a list of things for us to fix. You will be happy to know that in 2011 we did re-do the room!! It looks so much better! Also, if anyone has a problem with a 9 am weekend breakfast in the future on a weekend, please let Bill or I know and we will do our upmost to accomodate you!
Kent, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2011

My wife and I were taking a trip to New England for our anniversary and after spending 5-days in Boston, took the 4-hour to Vergennes. I had a friend who was working at the nearby Button Bay State Park so when I was searching for B&B's in the area Emerson was the top of the list on Trip Advisor and it well deserves that spot.

I called Bill a few times because we were in the area during the time of Hurricane Irene and wanted to make sure Vergennes wasn't affected. He was very pleasant on the phone and even more so in person. He welcomed my wife and I, showed us our room, the "Hampton Room" which was very large and had a private toilet and shower.

The breakfasts in the morning were great. Made fresh and incorporating some great Vermont foods, like Vermont Cheeses and Maple Syrup. It was also pleasant to chat with Bill and his wife Sue.

The house is right on the main road of Vergennes which is highway 22A, so you do get a fair amount of large truck traffic as noted in other reviews, but I didn't find it to be that discomforting, but my wife and I are pretty heavy sleepers.

For the price and beautiful location I would highly recommend staying at Emerson Guest House and look forward to visiting the Champlain Valley again in the future.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
New London, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2011

The Emerson House had been recommended to us by a local businessman. We were very pleased with our two nights there - we would have gladly spent a third night there if our travel plans had allowed it, and hope to go back when in the area. We chose the Meadow Room because it had a queen-size bed, and was slightly cheaper than the suite because of the shared bathroom (as another reviewer noted, this was never a problem when we were there, but we stayed in late April; I don't know what it might be like later in the season when more people presumably stay.) This turned out to be a good choice; as another reviewer noted, the main street can be rather noisy at times with traffic; surprisingly so for such a small "city" (a village, really). Normally I have difficulty sleeping in a "strange bed"; here I slept comfortably and deeply on the pillow-top mattress. (the next night we went to a hotel in Waterbury area, and trying to sleep I wished myself back at the Emerson!)

The breakfasts were excellent, true full breakfasts, entirely homemade by the owner, Bill: omelets or scrambled eggs, blueberry pancakes, excellent hash browns, local bacon, etc. One local attraction we stumbled upon on the main street is a bakery; the sign on the building said "Vergennes Laundry", which was perhaps the building's function at one point, but inside the 19th century storefront was a bakery of the sort I've only seen in photos in the NY Times; clean lines, minimalist; white walls, with an emphasis on the baked goods themselves being made as you watch, and very good coffee.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JMJanostak
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vergennes
Middlebury Inn
Swift House Inn
Swift House Inn
#1 of 11 in Middlebury
Inn at Charlotte Bed and Breakfast

Been to Emerson Guest House? Share your experiences!