“Pleasant place to paddle”

Missisquoi National Wildlife Refuge
Ranked #1 of 4 things to do in Swanton
More attraction details
Owner description: This park is a popular spot for viewing migrating birds.
Reviewed June 26, 2014

Enjoyed a mid day kayak session on the Missisquoi River amidst the Missisquoi Widlife Refuge. Such a great place to connect with nature. Paddled north from Louie's Landing a couple miles and the came back against the gentle current. Herons, kingfishers, and a magnificent circling raptor .. and even a turtle sunning on a log. In previous visits, I've walked the trails and been to the visitor center. For a peaceful place to enjoy nature, this place is a local gem.

2  Thank Jonathan B

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We took a trip to the Refuge on a hot day the end of August and were well rewarded. I've been to several refuges and this is an absolute gem in the system. Well worth a visit and it's free!

There is a nice visitors center that has several exhibits discussing the local flora and fauna and also the indigenous tribe that lived in the area. The volunteer we came across was very friendly and spent a good amount of time with us showing us the exhibits and expanding on them. She was very well informed and gave us an excellent amount of information that wasn't in the exhibits. Afterwards she directed us to the backpacks set up for the kids with materials to document their visit and make it more interactive. There is a clip board with a "scavenger" hunt list, binoculars, magnifying glass and a specimen jar. We were then directed to a map of the trails and off we went!

The abundance of small wildlife is great and really makes the trails so much more fun. We walked the discovery trail which was almost overrun with leopard frogs and some other types of frogs, birds and various insects like dragonflies and bees. The trails are very well groomed and easy to walk, there are also sections that are boardwalk and make for very easy walking. Afterwards we drove down to the Maquam/Black Creek trail and walked both. Very much worth the time. The trails parallel 2 very lazy creeks and you can see several birds, turtles sunning themselves on logs, frogs and other small animals. Again, the trails are very well maintained and there are informative plaques all over to give you an idea of what is all around you.

My regret was that I didn't have more time to spend here, I would have walked all of the trails had it not been the last day of our trip. Make sure you plan a visit if you are in the area.

5  Thank danrodz
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Nice visitor center. We did a short trail, close to the center. It was a nice walk, where we saw many frogs and a couple of garter snakes. Birds were not in abundance here when we visited, but still, it was a nice break on our journey.

1  Thank Susan L
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I went to this wildlife refuge with my wife,cousin and his wife. We walked a trail and saw numerous birds and other wildlife in the marsh. The trail was easy and is well worth it if you want to surround yourself with nature. We can't wait to go back again!

1  Thank Milford_PaMooseman
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Monday 4/15/13 my sister and I visited this beautiful place. Weather cooperated and no bugs!!
We hiked several trails as my bones can attest to. There were places all that could be heard were the birds...it was wonderful!! We saw hawks, various ducks and birds and several osprey. The visitor center was very clean and beautiful and the people (and dog) were also very friendly. We will definitely go back as we didn't get to all the trails and hope to see more of the wildlife.

1  Thank Judy B