“a friendly,clean and rustic place to stay”
Review of The Stowe Inn

The Stowe Inn
Ranked #13 of 22 Stowe B&B and Inns
Johnson, Vermont, United States
“a friendly,clean and rustic place to stay”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

the GM at the front desk "Lynnlee" was great,she very helpful and knowledgeable . the room was clean and very cozy . the bar tender "Alex" was great. I have a food allergy and the cook staff was very careful with the making of my dinner .The food service was good and our meals were awesome .The GM "Lynnlee" came around to see how things were going while we were in the diningroom .My husband and I only stayed one night but we would got back again.

Room Tip: the higher rooms are less noisey and you don't smell the cigarette smoke.
1 Thank Sarah S
Management17, Guest Relations Manager at The Stowe Inn, responded to this review, October 6, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write to Trip Advisor to give our hotel and restaurant accolades. The guest always comes first at The Stowe Inn. Our staff cares about each and every guest and making their stay a memorable experience. Thank you for pointing out specific examples, such as our chef listening to your needs regarding your food allergies while still preparing you a scrumptious dinner!
Please come back and stay a little longer next time!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Dunkirk, Maryland
Reviewed September 30, 2013

I was expecting to stay in a charming restored old building, but found I had booked a 1950's style, poorly maintained, musty, and ugly motel style room. Building and grounds were suffering from gross neglect.
The location was fine and a short walk into the village proper where there were good places to eat and several charming shops. The little I saw of any staff was left the impression that they really didn't care.
Uless this is the only room intown and you have to be there, don't bother.

Room Tip: Stay at another inn.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LAK4310
We are so disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your stay. We take our guest's comments to heart, and appreciate you taking the time to tell us about it. We are sad that you did not alert the on site manager or front desk staff of the issues you were having, they are there to help make your stay more comfortable and immediately resolve any issues.
Our great location is just one of the reasons we have so many returning guests. We pride ourselves on customer service and making the guest's experience a pleasant one.
The Stowe Inn is listed in the National Register of Historic Places and our property dates back to 1814. We are proud of our history, and most of our furnishings in the main inn are antiques.
Our staff maintains our property very well, and we are currently in the last stages of replacing all of the carpets in our Carriage House (economy rooms) where you stayed, as well as doing minor upgrades in those rooms.
We review all comments with our team and strive to offer the best service to our guests, so thank you again for your feedback.

Travelers are raving about these Stowe hotels

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Located a few minutes walk from the centre of the village, the Inn was a pretty good option for us. We stayed two nights, basing ourselves for exploration of the surrounding area. We stayed in the main part of the building with a room overlooking the road. No traffic noise as it's a quiet place at night.
Clean and comfortable rooms, not overly spacious, with a small balcony off the room. The only major downside was the terrible WIFI connection. It may be free but it doesn't really work at all, even downstairs near the reception area.

Room Tip: Try to get a room in the main building as I'm sure they're better than the ones on the other...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Management17, Guest Relations Manager at The Stowe Inn, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to post a review of your stay at The Stowe Inn. Yes, we are perfectly located to serve as home base for your daytime excursions, and a stone’s throw from the village.
Our housekeeping staff takes pride in ensuring our guest rooms are clean and comfortable so you have a pleasurable stay, and we appreciate your positive comments.
We did have some recent issues with our Wi-Fi, and we listened to our customers…so in late September 2013 we upgraded to a brand new Wi-Fi system to ensure our wonderful guests are taken care of. Thank you for your patience and we hope you visit us again!
Davenport, Iowa
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Just spent 3 nights here. While our room wasn't great it wasn't horrible. Luckily we were with a group event that had negotiated a lower rate. We had a King room on the end of the main building so we had a lot of windows - our friends rooms in the same main building were small, dark and cavish, extremely disappointing. Even with the extra windows, it was a rainy few days and the light bulbs in our room were not sufficient to light the room. There were no extra outlets, had to plug our phones in the outlet in the bathroom. The hotel lobby closes at 10 not opening till 7:30, very difficult for those in our party who had trouble at the airport and weren't able to get in until after 10pm. The common areas of the hotel are lovely, but the check in desk and area surrounding it are a mess. We did have food in the restaurant, a hosted event, extremely good food! All in all I'm afraid this Inn has quiet a bit to do to restore their reputation as a top notch spot.

Guelph
Reviewed September 12, 2013

This is a good place to consider for a 3-4 day stay - I have the impression that this Inn had its "heyday" about 3 or 4 decades ago and is now trying to regain it's footing. Location is great - the big wraparound porch is a great place to people watch all the time listening to the babble of the mountain stream. we are a family of 5 and stayed in the attic room which was quite adequate - you dont stay at a place like this if you need all the modern conveniences right in your room - our teenagers had to visit the mainfloor living room to access wifi - but it was great to use the rolltop antique desk for a temporary bar - front desk was courteous - they cut us another key right on the spot as one was not working so well. good bed, good maid service - watch your head on the sloping ceilings. The highlight for us was the kitchen. Chef Brent knows how to cook food - born and raised in Boston and trained in Quebec. Edward the waiter was a good guy to get to know and the folksy musician Rob supplied the right ambience. Chef cooked prime rib to die for one night and Maine lobster the following night - he came to greet us at our table to thank us for supporting the restaurant and the Inn itself. Later that night he took my 3 kids for a ghost walk into the basement with another inn guest by the name of Joan that had worked at this same inn when she was a teenager - this friendly touch was much appreciated by my wife and myself - memories for our 3 teenagers forever. give this place a try and the best way to get on Chef Brent's good side is to offer him a cigar and ask about his kids. we drove back to Toronto by way of Killington Vt and into NY state - beautiful drive. An active holiday of mountain biking, flyfishing and golfing - the Stowe Inn more than fits the bill for this type of family holiday.

Room Tip: stay in the main inn unless you have your dog with you in which case you will want one of the motel...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Rob J
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I booked this trip earlier this year through Priceline. Since we went during peak season (President's Week) prices were especially high so I was glad when I found this deal. I usually only book the top 10 hotels/B&B's in an area based on TripAdvisor reviews but after going through all of the reviews (which was very mixed) and checking out the inn's website, I decided to take a gamble. Since most of the better reviews were of the main inn, I wanted to make sure we got a room there. I emailed the inn as soon as I had made the booking on Priceline and the response was pretty quick. I specified that we wanted a room in the main inn on the first floor since we travelled with our 2 boys, which we did get.
I was impressed with the inn's website and loved the fact that it was such a charming, quaint, little inn in such a charming, quaint little town. A plus for me was that breakfast was included.

We got there a little late at night and checked in without any trouble. A lady with a british accent helped us out and she was really nice, she even gave us dinner advice. The room was down the hall from the main entrance which was perfect but the major disappointment for me was when we actually entered the room. It was really dark and the lamps didn't do much for light. There was a bit of a weird smell and later I realized it was the carpet that smelled like a dog. Being that it was late, and that the kids were tired and my husband saying that the smell wasn't that bad, we just dealt with it and decided to go to bed. The bathroom was dated and did not look as clean as I hoped. I was glad I always bring Clorox wipes with me on trips. Before going to bed, I ended up wiping down the entire bathroom because I just couldn't stand it. I did not even dare put my toothbrush down near the sink.

The 4 poster beds were really cute and comfortable and I thought the room decor went with the inn's traditional theme. The next day we went to breakfast and there weren't that many options. The scones were almost stale, and nothing else seemed good. Granted we did get there close to the end of breakfast, still it didn't seem like there were that many options. Good thing the server was very helpful. He said he could get us some hot breakfast for $10 per person, which we ended up doing. We went about our sightseeing for the day, came back and our room had been cleaned but you could still smell that dog odor. I just tried not to think about it because the inn looked like it was fully booked and didn't want to cause any trouble by complaining. Another minor detail I noticed was that when the shampoo, conditioner and soap were replaced, they were all a different brand from what was provided the day before. I just thought that was weird.

The other major issues I had was the room being so dark. I know the inn is pretty old and maybe that was the whole ambience and I could appreciate that however my oldest son has autism and is highly sensitive to lighting conditions and he found it hard to adjust to so then it eventually became our problem too. Also, there was no table/side table for eating or writing. With kids that's almost an essential for us. We ended up turning our suitcase on its side and using that as a table to feed our kids.

On the positive side, the inn is really cute and has a lot of character and charm which I loved. I liked looking at the different skis and pictures on the wall. The common areas included a study and almost like a living area which was really cool. My husband played the piano a bit too and my boys played with some of the games available for guests to enjoy. The dining area has lots of window which allowed us to enjoy the beautiful views.

I hate to give a negative review but it was just really disappointing considering I was so excited to stay here with all this inn's history and LOCATION. It was right in town and you could walk to stores and the Stowe covered bridge was right outside the inn. But at the end of the day, you're spending money to stay in a good clean functional room and if the room doesn't meet those standards, the location and amenities won't matter. :(

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
kc
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Our stay was very nice from beginning to end. The staff that checked us in was pleasant and helpful. We were checked in, in about 10 minutes. The room was clean and spacious. No compliants -- would stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family