“Pleasant Stay/Nice Inn”
Review of Green Mountain Inn

Green Mountain Inn
Ranked #1 of 24 Hotels in Stowe
Reviewed August 18, 2006

Our stay at the Green Mountain Inn was pleasant and enjoyable. Located in the heart of Stowe village, the Inn is large with an outdoor pool and exercise room. We found the staff to be friendly and our room was very adequate although not particularly spacious. The four poster bed was canopied and very romantic. The cold breakfast selections were plentiful and we had the option to "upgrade" to the hot selections for an additional $2! As well, afternoon tea was available with a yummy assortment of pastries. The Inn is well priced and offers good value for your dollar. It doesn't give you the views offered by the Trapp Family Lodge which is set up in the mountains. However you pay dearly for this view, so we saved substantially by staying at the Green Mountain Inn and we lunched at the Austrian Tea Room at the Trapp Family Lodge, which was lovely. We also attended a sunset concert in the meadow of the Lodge which was a real treat. All in all, a wonderful stay in Stowe.

5  Thank drsheryl

Reviewed August 7, 2006

Stayed at the Green Mountain Inn July 30 - Aug 2 in a luxury room. The room was beautiful, clean and well appointed. Dining at the Whip was also excellent. Would recommend this inn to any discriminating traveler. Also, visit the Olde England Inn for dinner as the food is spectacular!!!

1  Thank CGreg
Reviewed July 31, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Green Mountain Inn for a week, July 22-29, 2006. I booked the Sterling Suite to give us a little more room and all I can say is the place is ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL. My husband, who rarely comments on my travel picks, even said I did good in picking this place, so I know it was good.

Our experience from the beginning was exceptional. The front desk staff was pleasant and accomodating with all my questions. Not a frown from the bunch. They took their time providing directions, suggestions and personal opinions on certain places when I asked for their opinion.

The room, itself, was clean (which is the most important thing I look for). For long stays, I recommend the Sterling suite as the separate bedroom, living room, dining room and kitchen help keep that claustrophobic feeling away. It was very reasonable priced, I thought, too.

For location, I couldn't have asked for a better location. Right in the middle of town, you could walk to many shops and restaurants, and the best walking path is located right across the street. If you stay here, you MUST go on the walking path to see the sites. Its a 5 mile path one way, so walking the path to the end and back is 10 miles round trip. Be prepared!

My husband experienced the SPA at the Inn by scheduling 4 separate massages. He loved them all! I had the pleasure of sitting by the pool reading (when it wasn't raining, anyway) as he got massaged and found the pool very relaxing. They have actual cushions on their lounge chairs so they were very comfortable to lie in; and, the pool is heated to a pleasant body temperature, so the 75 degree weather didn't make the water uncomforable at all.

The only disappointing aspect of this Inn is their restaurant food and service. Maybe it was just timing, I don't know, but my husband and I ate a late lunch the first day of our stay and then ate at their breakfast buffet the next morning. Both times, the service was poor (for lunch) and HORRIBLE for breakfast. I couldn't understand why because for lunch, there was maybe 4 tables occupied in the dining room and for breakfast, it was busy but not packed, especially considering it was a buffet and the only thing the waitress had to do was get us drinks. For lunch, it seemed our waitress was more interested in getting done with her shift which is why the poor service. For breakfast, we never even saw our waitress until it was time to get our check. The Hostess ( I guess that's who she was) got us our drinks and when we need refills, I had to go get the same hostess since we didn't know who our waitress was. At this point, I politely complained to the Hostess and she had to get our waitress. And for all the service problems, the food was just OK. I would definitely not eat at their dining room again as there are many other food options we found in Stowe with better service and food. Sorry Green Mountain, I hate writing anything negative about you, but this aspect of your Inn really should be fixed.

But, this less than positive comment on the restaurant would not prevent me from staying here again. As a matter of fact, for my next trip to Stowe, I will only stay at this Inn. They won me over with their friendliness, helpfulness and location. I travel for business several times a year and wish I could rave about my business travel experience as much as this, so I definitely know a good thing when I see one.

Congratulations to the entire staff of the Green Mountain Inn. You've made me a fan.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank Luv2Vacation63
Reviewed July 16, 2006

Went here for a romantic getaway. Absolutely EVERYBODY was delightful. Went out of their way to be helpful and accomodating. Cleanest room I've ever been in. Best food, most comfortable setting ever. I highly recommend the luxury rooms.

4  Thank mjtravels
A TripAdvisor Member
Arlington, TX
Reviewed July 7, 2006

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Green Mountain Inn for a total of 6 days and nights in June and loved every minute of it. We had read reviews on this website saying to be careful of differing room types, so we decided to splurge a bit and book a luxury or deluxe room in the new Mansfield House. This turned out to be an excellent decision, and well worth the money. The room was HUGE, immaculately clean, and featured a spacious in-room jacuzzi (room for 2), a large TV, DVD player, surround sound stereo system, coffee-maker, refrigerator, and wireless internet service. As you can see from the pictures I posted, the room also was quite cozy and romantic with a fireplace and a four poster bed. The Mansfield House also features a common-area lounge on the 1st floor with comfortable sofas and a computer with internet for guests' use. I don't think we have ever stayed at in a more quiet location - there was absolutely no noise from other rooms, although the Mansfield House was full each night. There was no noise from the street either, as the building is set back from the main road.

If you are planning a stay at this inn, I would warn you of the following: the rooms at the Inn vary greatly in terms of their size and overall comfort level. I walked up the stairs in the main building and was quite literally creeped out - it felt like I had traveled back in time to the mid-19th century. The hallways were maze-like, cramped, and it smelled "old" - not at ALL our experience staying in the Mansfield House.

The staff at the Green Mountain Inn was first-rate and very friendly and accomodating. The first night we arrived I noticed that our duvet cover smelled a bit of dust and I called and asked for a fresh one, which was delivered immediately with no attitude. The bar and restaurant at this inn were more than adequate for meals or late-night munchies and drinks.

The Inn is located right in the heart of Stowe. You can drive to any of the wonderful restaurants in 5 minutes or less, and there are even several area restaurants within walking distance of the inn.

Stowe is a charming town with lots of interesting little shops to fill your time. But we mainly used Stowe as a starting off point for exploring the entire state of Vermont. Being that you can be in Burlington in 30 minutes and Montpelier in 20, we found Stowe to be the perfect location for us.

We loved this place!

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 5, 2006

I arrived at the Green Mountain Inn at 11:30 at night after traveling on the road all day from Canada. The girl I spoke to on the phone was wonderful and accomodating considering the large booking for Independence Day weekend. The room was nice with a canopy size bed and pull out couch (which we needed). The room seemed clean and had a nice size jacuzzi tub in the bathroom. The downside, I asked for an hour late checkout (checkout is 11:00). There was one maid cleaning the rooms on that end of the hall and she was still five or six doors down from us. I paid full price for a room that I used for 11 hours (which was my choosing), but the girl at the front desk was nothing short of rude (she gave us a deadline of 15 minutes to checkout). I would completely have understood if the maid was waiting to clean the room or perhaps the girl at the front desk was polite about it. I ended up talking to a gentleman at the front desk, when I checked out, who really made up for his rude co-worker. He apologized for her poor manners and offered us a pass for the pool or fitness center for the day (which we had to decline). I loved Stowe, it is such a cute little town surrounded by so much beauty. I would stay at the Green Mountain Inn again since this particular staff member told us to ask for him next time. A little sidenote: I would highly recommend eating at the Melting Pot a few doors down- the food was reasonable and delicious.

2  Thank Abbypuppy2009
Reviewed June 29, 2006

Considering that I had my best night's sleep in years, the Green Mountain Inn will always be tops in my book! We stayed in a luxury suite; the decor was beautiful and calming, the 2 large TVs a great help in avoiding what-to-watch issues with the young one (although the channel line-up could use some expansion), as was the DVD rental option. The king bed was SO comfortable, the bedroom spacious, the living room area just the right size with a comfortable sofa bed/couch, good-sized desk and mini-fridge. There was more than enough drawer space, and the closet was also a good size (with dress/pant hangers - so rare in most places these days!!). I've never stayed in such a quiet hotel room anywhere - hardly any doors slamming, no toilet-flushing or shower noises from other rooms, and the air conditioning unit was as quiet as it could be. No traffic noises, either, since the room was set far back from the road. Every member of the staff we encountered was friendly and helpful, but special mention must be made of Kirkwood. He was charming, pleasant, accommodating and gave us a wonderful welcome. The Inn is perfectly located for all kinds of activities and day trips. If you don't feel like going far for dinner, the on-site Whip Bar & Grill has a decent number of choices for adults and children. It's not the best food we've ever eaten, but was certainly acceptable. All in all we had a wonderful experience here, and look forward to returning soon.

3  Thank GetMeOutOfDDO