“Easy, Central Location”

Ranked #1 of 24 Hotels in Stowe
Plainwell, Michigan
“Easy, Central Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2014

We loved our stay at the GMI.

The room: We got the most basic room (queen bed, no frills) and although it was very small (especially the bathroom), it was clean, quiet, and comfortable. We both slept great! I do wish the room was a touch bigger, but other than that it was quaint and cute.

Staff: The front desk staff was extremely helpful and friendly and the same goes for everyone working downstairs at The Whip restaurant. We did drinks and desserts every evening at The Whip and loved it. It was quiet and we sat out by the fire into the evening.

Location: It's right downtown at the 3-way stop and central to everything. My husband took the car to go fly fishing Sunday morning and I was able to walk around and get coffee and enjoy myself all within walking distance from here.

Overall: Easy to reserve, easy to deal with, easy to get around! Makes for a low hassle trip!

Room Tip: May want to opt for a larger room instead of the basics!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kscho30
GreenMtnInn, General Manager at Green Mountain Inn, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Ensuring that our guests are able to relax and have a worry-free experience here in Stowe is our ultimate goal and I’m so happy you took the time to share your experience with us. Fly fishing is flourishing in Stowe and I’m thrilled that your husband had a chance to enjoy this wonderful pastime while he was here. I look forward to welcoming you both back very soon and I am grateful you took the time to share your story with us.

Patti Clark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (417)
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2014

There is truly nothing like being in Stowe during the autumn months: with the leaves changing and thanksgiving in the air, we enjoyed a fabulous weekend at the inn. The service was great and the hotel was very central, located right on Main Street, seconds away from good shopping and restaurants. The Whip Bar and Grill (their restaurant), is our favorite restaurant in Stowe, as it is charming and absolutely delicious. The breakfast was also very well done. We chose to stay in a townhouse, and the space we got was great for my family -- lots of room for everyone to spread out! As we have family members living in Stowe, we go to town quite a bit, and the Green Mountain Inn is one of the better hotels we’ve stayed at in the area. Highly recommended!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
How wonderful that you have the chance to visit with family that lives in the area while you are staying at the Green Mountain Inn. You are correct; the fall season is a beautiful time around Stowe, with crisp temperatures and splendid colors gracing the landscapes. It is definitely one of my favorite times of the year. Thank you for your kind comments regarding our staff and dining options. We all look forward to welcoming you back time and time again and I hope it’s soon.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2014

With the exception of the small room we loved it. Comfortable with a great New England feel, it's quaint and well decorated. The service is excellent and the restaurant is very good. The location is close to many restaurants. We went in the summer and don't ski, so I can't comment on how it fares during ski season.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Whatever time of year you visit the Green Mountain Inn, the area always has something unique to offer. From world-class skiing in the winter to amazingly beautiful hiking trails and swimming holes in the summer, Stowe has it all. Thank you for letting me know how much you enjoyed your stay. I’m glad to see you had a chance to enjoy The Whip Bar & Grill and I look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Stuyvesant, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2014

Let me start with the positives: the staff was very friendly, very helpful. The little front porch is nice for reading the paper and watching the traffic go by. Now the negative: the room was 80 degrees when I checked in. Something or another about … the cooling system not working well when the outside temps are 60. When I check into a hotel, I'm leaving my problems behind. If I want heating and cooling system problems I would stay at home. Imagine having the use the air conditioner in early June in Vermont (I hate air conditioning). The excess heat, I assume was coming from the hot water pipes … because the heating system wasn't on. I've never had such a strange experience at an inn. I was refunded 50 dollars, which I appreciate. And again, the staff could not be more friendly. But the place has some problems that a friendly staff simply cannot fix. Also, the room looked out on a parking lot and the entrance to another part of the inn. Lights from that entrance filtered into my room, creating the feeling of being next to a 7/11. And the restaurant food … mediocre. Yep. Again, friendly staff but the place does not take food seriously.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank ken l
GreenMtnInn, General Manager at Green Mountain Inn, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Your review concerns me greatly and I sincerely apologize for the experience that you have described. You did everything right by reaching out to our staff with the hopes of finding a solution, and it seems that they worked to try to improve your experience, which I’m happy for. However, this is not at all what we want you to remember of your trip to Stowe. I am hoping that you will come and stay with us again in the future where we can fully impress you with everything the Green Mountain Inn has to offer. Thank you for taking the time to let me know about your stay.

Cape Town Central, South Africa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2014

Very small room , not able to open widows because of air co noise on roof. Charge on bill for dinner that I did not have because their system does not seem to require to produce evidence that you are in that room nor does it require a name. Have stayed there before and got much better room and much better service. Wrote to hotel the day after I left, still awaiting reply

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank inge c
It seems there were several areas within your stay where we could have worked harder to give you the exceptional experience you desire from our Inn. For that, I apologize and hope to see you again in the future where we can re-gain your trust in us. I will personally look into your correspondence and I thank you for alerting me to your concerns.

Wellfleet, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2014

We loved everything about GMI.

We had a Jr. Suite in Mansfield House and it was roomy with beautiful furnishings and a large bathroom and separate sitting area. Because many of these rooms are nestled in trees, if you want a sunny room, ask for one. Otherwise, they could be on the dark side.

Really enjoyed The Whip. The food was wonderful (can't go wrong with Statler chicken breast and cheddar cheese) and an end of night cocktail at the new bar is always fun. Bartender Derek is excellent and makes a fine Espresso Martini.

If you need a massage, don't pass up Village Massage. Kate was fantastic and knew how to pull the stress out of my shoulders and neck.

The location could not be better. We will return.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bruce B
I can’t thank you enough for your wonderful review of the Green Mountain Inn, The Whip Bar & Grill and Stowe Village Massage. While we all work together to offer the best experience to our guests, I am thrilled to read that you had the opportunity to relax and just enjoy your time in Stowe. It would be my pleasure to share your gracious compliments with our staff and also to welcome you back to our Inn very soon. Thank you again for your review.

Portland, Maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2014

Second trip here. Reception is courteous and helpful even checking me into my room before 10AM. Free wi-fi. Room was small but the full-size canopy bed was VERY comfortable (lots of different kinds of pillows too), but the bed is VERY high off the ground -- short folks be warned. Little porch right off the room overlooked the modest pool. I was here for a wedding and the staff seemed very invested in helping to make it a great day. I got hung up on the website and had to exit and start over. Otherwise, a fine experience. A great jumping-off point for exploring this area of VT. (Less than 10 miles north of Interstate 89). The entire village is walking distance from the hotel.

Room Tip: Lots of options in multiple buildings -- some antique and some very modern, some quiet, some right o...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
GreenMtnInn, General Manager at Green Mountain Inn, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
I am so glad you took the time to let us know about your recent stay at the Green Mountain Inn and I hope you fully enjoyed the wedding you attended. You are correct; our staff makes it their highest priority to ensure that our guests have an exceptional experience and I thank you for noticing their efforts. I look forward to greeting you again in the future and thank you for your kind comments.