“Popular hotel with helpful staff”
Review of Green Mountain Inn

Green Mountain Inn
Ranked #2 of 24 Hotels in Stowe
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Stayed for two nights during fall tour. Easy to find with large car park.Warm welcome at reception.
Room was old fashioned but beds very comfortable.Large bathroom but bath is a deep jacuzzi which also contains the very good shower. Depth of bath was a problem for my wife to get in and out. We asked for an alternative.We were offered, at $50 extra per night a huge apartment in the new block which was just too big for us. They found a room for the second night at $40 extra which we accepted. We did in fact cope with the bath and decided to stay where we were. Although our room had now been sold for the second night they went to great lengths to unscamble things for us, even though they were full
Reception also helpful with alternatives for peak foliage as colours had almost gone around Stowe.
Breakfast is a bit hectic when the hotel is busy unless you wait until after 9.30. Reasonable range of cold and hot food including the option to do your own toast .
We could not get into the hotel restaurant when we tried to book at 6pm with all tables being booked for tow sittings. Reception did suggest a pricier alternative within 5 minutes walk which we liked so much we ate there twice.
We used the free internet service to check in for our lights home.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
GreenMtnInn, General Manager at Green Mountain Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your enjoyable experience at the Green Mountain Inn. I’m delighted to read that our staff attempted to make your stay more comfortable and offered exceptional advice on popular activities and places to visit while in Stowe. It’s always our goal to provide the most memorable of experiences for our guests and I hope we can look forward to having you as guests again very soon. Thank you for your review.

Patti Clark

Write a ReviewReviews (1,881)

Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

We stayed without realising the british car convention was in town, this did cause a problem with parking on our first night entailing driving around the car park for 10 minutes waiting for a space..The rooms were fine and comfortable but need in room safes and also better ac units as our room was very warm. Apart from these couple of things we enjoyed our stay here.

• Stayed: September 2013

The British Invasion is certainly a busy event in the town of Stowe and I’m happy that we were able to accommodate you during this very popular gathering. Our Reception Desk would have been happy to safeguard your belongings in one of our safe deposit boxes, or may I suggest you look into reserving a Deluxe Room for your next stay, where in-room safes are included. Our Events Calendar and our blog offer a plethora of information regarding upcoming events in the area and can greatly help with planning your next stay. I’m very happy that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcoming you back very soon. Thank you for your review.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

The Green Mountain Inn at Stowe is perfectly located in Main Street in the middle of town, a short walk to the many small shops in Main Street and to Mountain Road opposite which leads for a drive out of town to the mountains with the choice of resturants and bars along the way.
The Inn is an attractive old fashioned style hotel, beautifully kept with polished wooden floors, seated landings and narrow red carpeted corridors leading to rooms on two floors which may be accessed either by elevator or stairs from the efficent 24 hour ground floor reception.
Our clean and tastefully decorated air conditioned room had a comfortable four poster bed, small en suite bathshower room, hairdryer and a wardrobe cupboard with an iron and board. Other facilities included television, Wifi and a tea/coffee maker. For guests preferring to stay in for the evening, the smart downstairs hotel restaurant provides a good menu in comfortable surroundings - with prices set to suit this convenience. The swimming pool area is very pleasant to sit out and relax on any warm day and guests car parking is to the side of the Inn. Good things come in sets of threes, Vermont, Stowe and the Green Mountain Inn. Worth a visit.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Your review has certainly made me smile! We are so honored to have the privilege to welcome guests such as yourselves and ensure that your stay in Stowe is memorable. I love the fact that the combination of Vermont, Stowe and the Green Mountain Inn made for a truly enjoyable experience! If you have the opportunity to visit us during the winter, our outdoor heated pool is a one-of-a-kind experience you must not miss. I look forward to seeing you soon and thank you for your gracious review.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

After reading a positive comment about this Inn on a Tripadvisor forum, I decided to book it for a couple nights since I've always wanted to visit Vermont and the Green Mountains. We happened to visit during peak fall colors so shutterbugs were everywhere. I assume you'll see a lot of cameras in hand anyway since this is such a picturesque area.

Although this is a well kept, clean and inviting accommodation, I did have a few minor complaints. First, there was no good place to set up my laptop. Even a $69 a night room usually has a desk, bureau, someplace where you can sit down and connect with cyberspace. Not in my $175 a night room at the Green Mountain Inn. And the wifi was fickle as well; hard to connect and stay connected. Again, our $69 a night motels performed better in that regard.

Also, our room had the largest TV I think I've ever seen in a hotel. Wonderful picture. But no premium movie channels. So my wife was watching a show called North Woods Law where they were giving a moose an enema, not something you want to see on a big screen TV. Disappointed there too. Finally, this was our first room where we had a motion sensor light, this in the bathroom. The light would come up when we entered, and after we'd leave it'd go out on its own. But then it would come on again when we weren't in the bathroom, sometimes in the middle of the night. And it went off while I was taking a shower, disconcerting too since the light was IN the shower. Either this part of the Inn was built over an old burial ground or else we were were on some "Punked" hidden camera show.

There were many amenities at this hotel that I wished we would have taken advantage of, from the complimentary tea and cookies offered in the afternoon, to the s'mores given to guests to roast on the fire pit outside. Though it was cooler temperatures, in the 50s, the outdoor pool was still open till ten. Even the game room had some interesting, though limited, offerings. We also did not try the restaurant there.

However, the location is good. We did almost all our souvenir shopping at the Stowe Mercantile next door. And the Black Cap Coffee Shop just up Main Street featured some intriguing flavors. A pizza shop with some good microbrews was within walking distance up the mountain road. I'm not sure you get the best value for the dollar here in the village, but that doesn't stop the tour buses from pulling into town. Same is true of the Inn here. You can probably get better value at some of the other local hotels, but that doesn't seem to stop visitors from checking in and making this Inn their destination. If you don't mind paying the price, it's probably worth it.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Stowe certainly has its share of stories from the past and favorite historical characters that many locals like to entertain guests with. I do apologize if the light in your bathroom made you feel uncomfortable, but I’m sure it can be chalked up to our recent renovations and a possible loose bulb. I will have our Maintenance Engineers promptly inspect the light and have it replaced. I wish you had had the opportunity to enjoy the amenities you spoke of – our outdoor heated pool and toasty, warm fire pit are extremely popular, and during your next visit, you must take a moment to enjoy a meal at The Whip Bar & Grill. Thank you for sharing everything that you enjoyed during your stay, as well as those that need our attention, and I hope to have you return to the Green Mountain Inn very soon. Thank you for your review.

Reviewed October 9, 2013

We enjoyed tree fantastic nights at this inn in September. Making reservations was a pleasure – the staff members I spoke with on the phone were pleasant, helpful, welcoming, and accommodating. We found all the staff to be as wonderful when we checked in, checked out, and during our stay at the inn.

Our beautiful room was in a building near the edge of the property and the town, and was very quiet and tranquil. The room was immaculate, spatious and beautifully decorated, with a 2 person jacuzi and a firelace. The bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was lovely, with any amenity we would want. We enjoyed the afternoon cookies and lemonade in the livingroom of our building.

Our dinner at the Whip Bar and Grill was delicious, with many great choices, excellent service, and a great wines by the glass.

I enjoyed swimming in the wonderfully warm water of the big outdoor pool. The pool area was attractive and very clean. There was a nice fitness center and spa.

The location was perfect for us. The Stowe Recreation Path was a couple of blocks away, as was a nice hike up a scenic hill. Shops and ice cream were a short walk from our room.

We hope to return next year for a longer stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

You have perfectly described just what we want our guests at the Green Mountain Inn to experience. I am so happy that during your stay, you were able to take advantage of so many of the amazing amenities our Inn offers. I’m already looking forward to welcoming you back next year and I hope we can enjoy your company for a longer stay also. Thank you for your gracious review.

Reviewed October 7, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights at GMI in July as part of our 10th Anniversary tour of New England. I like to stay at ski resorts in the Summer: typically good room rates, great scenery, and great shops and restaurants in town. Green Mountain Inn was fabulous, right on the main drag of Stowe and surrounded by lovely shopping and sights. The room was 5-star quality, breakfast wonderful, and the hotel and grounds charming and spotless. I was surprised to see another reviewer characterize the inn as a bit dated: we didn`t see that at all ... our room was modern and well-equipped (so I meant `charming` above to mean ``beautifully decorated``, not `slightly run down').

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the buildings set back off the street so it was very quiet - I`d suggest that: i...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to share your appreciation of the Green Mountain Inn. I do understand that every person has their own perspective and can appreciate that the style of our Inn will not please everyone. I’m thrilled that you felt right at home and enjoyed every aspect of your stay. It would be my pleasure to welcome you back very soon and I thank you for your kind review.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

We loved this place. A little dated, but that's part of the charm.
Great service at the front desk too. I mean great.

The restaurant was a delight too. Wonderful food, good prices (ok - a little spendy, but it was sooo nice).

We'll be back, for sure.

PS: The heater wasn't working properly in our room, and when I mentioned it to the morning desk man, he deducted (automatically, without a word) $30 from our bill.

Room Tip: I'm sure they are all a delight!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank FromPortlandOregon
GreenMtnInn, General Manager at Green Mountain Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2013

I am so happy to learn that the historic charm of the Green Mountain Inn, along with our dedicated staff, made your stay in Stowe memorable. Please accept my apologies for any inconveniences you encountered in your room and I will have our Maintenance Engineers promptly look into what may have been the problem with the heater. It is great though, to hear that your concerns were handled with the utmost consideration and I appreciate you sharing your satisfaction. It would be my pleasure to welcome you back very soon and I thank you for your review.