“Really Fantastic Family Getaway”
Review of Green Mountain Inn

Green Mountain Inn
Ranked #2 of 24 Hotels in Stowe
Reviewed December 28, 2011

My husband and I took our kids for a family weekend getaway at the beginning of December. We thought we would introduce our kids to snow-shoeing and cross country skiing. Although there was no snow to be found....we had the best weekend together at this Inn. The gentleman at the front desk was charming and friendly. Our room was spacious, warm, and inviting. We had a family suite with two rooms, a jacuzzi, and a fireplace. It was very, very clean. The outdoor, heated pool was fantastic after a day of exploring the town center...so much fun! The inn was also beautifully decorated for the holiday season. I also have to say that I had the best lobster dish I have ever eaten in The Whip Restaurant at the inn. Can't wait to go back next year!

1  Thank Jennifer A

Reviewed December 27, 2011

We were meeting friends that had rented a house nearby and felt downtown location was a must. The staff were friendly and quick to help us navigate the town and the Inn. We had a "luxury room" in the Mill House. It had a great jacuzzi tub and fireplace really made it special. Bed was very comfortable! I had thought about a suite but the room we had also had a small sitting area so it was fine. Very quiet. We spent lots of time in The Whip bar and the breakfast buffet is a bargain at $12.95.
Old New England charm and feel. We did not use the outdoor pool but I have used it before and that is great fun. Pool hours seemed a bit funny to me only 5pm - 9pm but they cater to the skiers - so understand.

Room Tip: We chose room in the Mill House away from main inn. It was spacious and large. Fireplace and jacuz...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 26, 2011

We are locals, having lived in Stowe for over 60 years, and chose the Green Mountain Inn for our son and daughter-in-law's rehearsal dinner. After first thinking this would be an event for about 30, it expanded fairly rapidly into a family dinner for about 60 including 11 children ranging in age from 18 months to 15 years. The events coordinator and the staff were both gracious and encouraging as the numbers grew. While there were various changes made during the lead-up time to the event, all came together at the end. The dining room staff were accommodating, patient, pleasant and helpful - and all with a sense of humor. We had 4 generations, 2 family musicians (the microphones were the only disappointment as they did not work well), 2 gluten-free needs (the kitchen did a truly professional job making sure these meals were carefully prepared), and a number of late comers who were graciously welcomed into the group. The bartender had just come on board that day and she was both good at her job and fun. Members of our group who stayed at the Inn all said the rooms were warm and attractive and they loved the true old Vermont Inn feeling. The estimate for the cost of the evening was right on target and there were no nasty surprises. This made for a terrific beginning to a lovely Vermont wedding.

Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 24, 2011

We enjoyed staying at the inn for a quick weekend for skiing. Staff was friendly and helpful and the food at the Whip restaurant was fantastic. The outdoor pool was great and the kids loved the experience.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed December 22, 2011

We spent six nights at the Inn just prior to Christmas and found the location, rooms, staff... Everything in fact was terrific.

The room we had was nice a big. All of our wet gear from the rain (not much snow this winter) dried overnight. The heated pool was lovely and lots of people were enjoying it each evening.

The staff were always very helpful also.

Well done Green Mountain Inn!

• Stayed: December 2011
2  Thank CheilH
Reviewed December 21, 2011

My partner and I recently got married on December 10, 2011 and after researching many options in Vermont, ultimately decided to book our event at The Green Mountain Inn. One of the reasons we decided to book there was the friendliness of the staff. Every time we called to talk to someone, we were greeted so pleasantly.

About a month into the planning process, the event planner we started working with left the Inn. I was extremely nervous about this, and was sure that something would get dropped or missed in the change over. I could not have been more wrong. From my first encounter with the new event planner, Barrett Shaffer, she put me at ease. She was extremely responsive to my emails and phone calls, and every time we spoke she was very clear about next steps, etc.

Planning a wedding from over a 1000 miles away is hard work, especially because we were expecting between 30-50 guests. Barrett made the process as easy as possible, and walked us through everything. As we began planning in more detail, it became clear to me immediately that Barrett understood exactly the vision I had for the ceremony and the reception.

As the date drew closer my partner and I were able to make a quick trip up to the Inn. Let me tell you, it was prettier in person than the photos do it justice! The staff were so pleasant, and they all congratulated us on our upcoming marriage. They were also very excited to be hosting our event, and told us so on more than one occasion. During our visit Barrett left no detail untouched. By the time we left that weekend, I was more confident than ever that we had made the right decision to host our wedding at this fabulous Inn.

Jump ahead a couple of weeks, and I began shipping the decorations to Barrett. Even though it was a destination wedding I wanted to go all out. We ended up shipping about 20 boxes to the Inn. Barrett put all of them in her office for us. She helped to track the shipments, and each time a new box arrived she would email or call me to let me know. Her office was literally stacked full of our decorations. Each time I spoke to her I would apologize for sending just "one more box". She would just laugh and say she was loved watching me spend my money and could not wait to everything put together.

Jump ahead to the week of the event. My partner, his family, and my family all arrived on Wednesday. The check in staff was so friendly, and the rooms were beautiful. From the moment we arrived the staff was at our beckon call! Paul, one of the front desk employees, was so gracious. I know I had to have called him at least 100 times, and every time he was just as pleasant as the first. Additionally, we had put together gift packages for our guests. The bellman delivered each of these packages for us to them. He was great! He even delivered some advil to one of our guests who wasn't feeling well. Literally, every request we made of the staff was fulfilled! They were especially gracious when we had to call an ambulance for my father at midnight, the night of the wedding. Barrett contacted me the next day to make certain my father was alright--he was!

The ceremony went off without a hitch, and the reception was beautiful. I had a pretty intricate vision on how I wanted the room decorated, and let me tell you they far exceeded my expectations! That is pretty hard to do, as I am not a difficult customer to please. The wait staff during the reception was wonderful (they even helped with control the music the night of the event) and every one was just so friendly. The food itself, was amazing!

I cannot tell you just how happy I am that we chose Green Mountain Inn as our destination wedding locale. If I could do it all over again, I would tomorrow! The staff were amazing, the accommodations were fantastic, and the wedding and reception were perfect!

Room Tip: If you have a large group going, book one of their apartments. My Aunt booked the Star apartment, a...
1  Thank MikelLaPorte
Reviewed December 19, 2011

This review is not in regards to the quality of accomodation or hotel itself. Rather, the poor service received during my stay from 12/8-12/11 for my wedding. I have been to the Inn on several occasions and have received fantastic service and the hotel quality is second to none.

I just think the event planner and staff are not equipped or skilled enough to be able to handle a wedding (nevermind the multiple they had the weekend I was there - which in itself is poor service).

Reservations

First, I want to begin with the reservation process. I reached out to Barrett Shaffer on 10/19. I received a prompt response. Once she found out that I was not having a large function, she passed me over to Beth. In an email dated 10/20 Barrett informed me that the question I had were now being handled by Beth and that Beth would reach out to me shortly:

“Your questions fall under our reservations department. I handle “functions” related queries. I have just asked Beth from reservations to pull together your pricing for you. Let me know if we miss anything. You should be getting an email from Beth shortly.”

October 23 came around and I had not yet received any word from Beth (and followed up with Barrett twice about it).

I ended up trying to reach out to Beth directly on the evening of 10/23. I spoke with a rep from your hotel to get pricing information. He informed that, since we had a good sized group of rooms, that we would get a 15% discount. On 10/24 we called to make the formal reservation and we received an email that said we wouldn’t get the discount. I said that was fine but then was reprimanded by Barrett via email:

“I am confused as to why you went through them (reservations) since the communication was very clear about the function relationship to room rate discounts.”

As you can see, this is in direct conflict with what she indicated beforehand. Because the whole booking process was so disorganized, I felt as if something could be incorrect and requested a total package confirmation via email AND phone a total of five times. My parents requested it via phone on three separate occasions. We have, to this day, not received one.

“Next, Could you send me a confirmation for my package? I only got confirms for the guest rooms. In that confirmation would you mind itemizing the costs? ie: lodging/tax/jp/breakfast/etc. It notes "event supervision" as well. Could you just let me know what that entails?”

Checking In

To move on from the reservation process, upon check in (on 12/8) I was greeted very well by an employee of yours. While his name slips my mind, he wore glasses, was bald and spoke with a slight accent. He was extremely pleasant and helpful. I gave him a welcome bag for a guest that was checking in. The bag arrived safely and at their arrival.

The next day I went down to reception around noon (12/8). There was a gentleman at the desk with dark hair who seemed annoyed that I had six more welcome bags. I explained that I had never done this before and he should just let me know what I should do. He continued to look aggravated as he looked for the guest room numbers. Had I received a formal confirmation of all rooms, I wouldn’t have needed this info. However, he finally got the room numbers and I put them on the bags.

They were not in the rooms or given to the guests upon arrival.

I went down to the front desk after my wedding ceremony to ask where they were. They said they would get there… not too comforting. We went down to the Whip to have some cocktails before dinner then headed to our rooms to change into comfortable clothes. This was about 6:00pm. The bags were not there. I inquired one more time and the desk said the bellhop just left to deliver them. After dinner they were in the rooms. Not much of a welcome. In addition, One room had the welcome gift of another wedding in his room instead of mine.

Dinner

The food itself was great. At dinner they had the champagne included in the package ready and poured it for the guests. The waitress asked about my cake and since it was so small she said that I could have the cake and remaining champagne sent up to my room. The champagne got there – the cake never did. I went to reception the next morning and was informed the whip was closed and they couldn’t help me. I reached out to Barrett 3 days after I got home and told her I never got it. She said that I communicated something different to the waitress. Odd since the champagne made it to my room…

She said she would credit my account. Never gave me a dollar amount and never offered to have the cake shipped to me. Unfortunately, I guess I will be robbed of the tradition of freezing my cake and having it a year later. Just poor customer service overall.

Check Out

Check out was really pretty much a disaster. Since my mother and father were paying for the entire event for every person attending, all they want to know was the total cost and make sure that the correct credit card was processed. Well…it wasn’t. The wrong card was processed and my in-laws were informed they were not included in our group and weren’t allowed to check out without a new credit card, even though the reservations were made all at once. Additionally, when I checked out, instead of it being charged to my parents – it was charged to another hotel guest. Just poor, poor customer service. She didn’t find out until she returned home two days later and saw a miscellaneous $1100 charge from your hotel.

Additionally, as we were waiting in the lobby, your staff was first, talking poorly about the “our Party” not knowing that we were standing right there. Additionally, they were speaking about a “no –show” from our group – who happened to be sitting right in one of the red chairs. They indicated that they were going to charge a night to us and “if we had an issue – we can call them when we get home”. We interrupted and corrected them. Apparently, there were duplicate reservations entered. Something that could have been avoided completely if we were just given what we requested at the very beginning of this whole process: A total confirmation for all things booked.

I apologize for the length and want you to know that it was so disappointing to have this service. Especially on one of the most special, important days of my life. While we did not have a grand function and spend tens of thousands of dollars, it would have been nice to have good service.

7  Thank mandicait7
madaline1, Manager at Green Mountain Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2011

I am responding to your formal complaint and the Trip Advisor posting with understanding and concern that we did not meet and exceed your expectations during your recent Country Inn Wedding at the Green Mountain Inn. After reading the details of your complaint, I realize that you may not have understood that the Country Inn Ceremony package, which you purchased, is designed for an intimate wedding ceremony. This package is booked by our reservation staff. It is unlike a wedding ceremony and reception that require a contract and the services of our Sales Manager. The Country Inn Ceremony Package includes a one-hour wedding ceremony, a celebratory bottle of champagne, and a 5" cake that is intended to be served at the ceremony. Our Sales Manager coordinates the details of the ceremony and turns over the execution of those details to our food and beverage management team. Our restaurant manager was present before, during and immediately after your ceremony.

Our Sales Manager, Barrett Schaffer, was correct in referring you to our reservation staff during your initial inquiry. Your request could have been handled by anyone of our reservation staff, and I apologize that your original inquiry was not handled promptly. An email confirmation should have been sent as soon as your reservation was confirmed.

Our staff is willing to handle special requests such as delivering welcome bags. I apologize that they were not delivered in a timely fashion.

The cake and champagne, that was included in your package, was intended to be served after the wedding ceremony, not intended to be served to a large group dinner, as you requested. I understand that it was decided while you were dining, not to serve the cake for dessert due to its size and that it would be boxed and stored for you to take with you upon checkout.

There was confusion at checkout due to multiple credit cards being provided for payment of your bill without clear instructions of the amount to be processed on each credit card. All other guests were responsible for their own guest room bill using payment of choice. After speaking with the Reception staff, they were flustered with the checkout process, for which they were sorry for the confusion.

I understand that you and your family have been guests of the Inn for several years. Our staff takes great pride in providing excellent customer service. Clearly we fell short with providing you, your family, and friends the service that you have come to expect. I am sincerely sorry to have disappointed you, especially for your wedding stay.

As a result of our unsatisfactory handling of your wedding details, I promise you the following:

1. I will share your comments with our staff and impress upon them the importance of providing friendly, timely, and efficient service. Ongoing staff training will be scheduled to improve our service.
2. Ensure that we communicate with our customer the details of what they are receiving for services when booking the Country Inn Package. A credit for the ceremonial wedding cake will be sent to you as you did not receive your cake upon checkout.
3. I would like to invite you and Shawn back to the Inn, as our guests, for your first anniversary for a complimentary two-night stay. A bottle of champagne and a chocolate cake with vanilla buttercream ceremonial wedding cake will be awaiting your arrival. You will receive a gift certificate for this stay in the mail.

I sincerely apologize for the issues you encountered during your recent stay at the Inn and I appreciate your contacting me so that I can resolve the issues that were addressed.

I look forward to personally welcoming you back to the Inn!

Patti Clark