“Getaway”

Stowe Mountain Lodge
Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in Stowe
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed February 16, 2011

My family stayed at the lodge for 3 nights and we had a wonderful time. My children, ages 13, 11,10 took a snowboarding school class, it was just the 3 of them from 9-3,by days end each had fully mastered the skill to spend the following day independently boarding. They had a blast.
The ski valet and instructor(Owen) were fabulous.
We ate at Hourglass the fist night and it was very good.
Our room was nice, the only real issue we had with it was the gas fireplace which was beautiful omitted an odor so foul we could not use it. We stayed in a 2 bedroom 2 story condo type unit that had floor to ceiling windows in the mater bedroom, (only 2 on the property we were told which we were very lucky to get it we were told at check in~not so much), the automatic blinds 2 of the 5 did not work and the room required so much heat that everytime the heating unit went off it was as if a jumbo jet was taking off in the room and it was almost everyhour on the hour despite us turning the hear down to 60 degrees. So no matter how great our days/eve's were there was no sleeping at night form Mom & Dad :-(
That being said we'd return in a heartbeat
The SPA -10+
Pool 10+
Fitness Room 10+
Parking Valet Staff 10+ with the exception of the 18.00 a day valet charge! Big thumbs down !!
We loved everything about the property from the natural setting to the decorating, it was perfect for us and I cannot wait to return

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,870)

Reviewed February 14, 2011

We've just returned from a lovely getaway weekend at the Stowe Mountain Lodge. Overall, we enjoyed it and will return, probably with our kids next time. Room was very nice, as advertised. We were initially placed in a ground-level room and immediately requested a change (we were in the smallest of their rooms, so the ground-level was a bit dark) and they readily obliged. Pools were nice, spa was great. We liked sitting by the fire in the lobby, and we had decent meals both at the bar and at Solstice. Lots of kids everywhere, they all seemed to be having great fun and were welcomed everywhere except in the spa.

Overall, we agree with previous reviewers that this resort is trying to emulate the experience of top-level ski-in/ski-out resorts in the West.... we felt that they're doing a reasonable (though not perfect) job of achieving that goal. Naturally, the skiing simply can't compare to a Western resort... but if you come to any East Coast resort and expect a west-coast ski experience, you're kidding yourself. If you're just considering the hotel itself, we felt it was quite nice and certainly better than any other option in Stowe.

I agree with many of the reviews here that there are some basic management glitches that need to be resolved. The parking valet and ski valet had trouble locating our car/ski gear several times, as others have reported... it seems like a very easy and simple fix to store cars and skis by room number rather than by last name or a random tag number! That simple fix would eliminate lots of confusion. I also observed that at top checkin/out times, the lines at the front desk were long. Had we been there on a top weekend like President's Day, extra patience might have been required.
Again, overall a positive - though not perfect - experience, and as this is driving distance to our home - unlike the skiing in the West - we will be back!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 14, 2011

This is a copy of the email I sent to the management. They never responded to it.

Last weekend we were "guests" at the Stow Mountain Lodge. Although it is a great facility, the service of your staff is poor, from top to bottom. I must say that for the rates that you charge, this is incomprehensible. Let me give you a few particulars.

- We arrived at 4:10 expecting to check in immediately and were told that our room was not ready. Given that 4:00 is the check in time, how can this happen ? We sat around for 45 minutes in the lodge. Finally, I re-approached the front desk and was told that Housekeeping had indicated the room was still not ready. At that point, I told them to call Housekeeping and make it ready. Simply a ridiculous situation.

- We attempted to make reservations Saturday morning at Solstice and were told that the dining room was full and the waiting list was long. I thought this was odd. Later that evening we ate dinner in the bar area. I did not notice many people going into the restaurant and decided to check things out for myself. I walked through Solstice and discover at least 7 empty tables. Over the course of the evening I "polled" the dining room. At any given time there were anywhere from 7-14 empty tables. I believe I soon discovered the problem. It seems your hotel was busy catering to a Las Vegas night of some sort - and my guess is that is where all of the staff was working leaving the dining room understaffed. So basically, is it your policy to short change paying guests in favor of large functions ?

- Additionally, the service in the bar area was atrocious. We sat down and after waiting to be served for 20 minutes, we approached the bar. There were 4 bartenders. How can it take 45 minutes to obtain 1 round of drinks ? I took approximately 1.5 hours to have dinner served. This was typical for the entire night.

- I had a very interesting experience at the ski valet. I waited at the end of the line for my turn. When a Spanish speaking young lady attended to me, I requested my skis and boots. As I was finishing my sentence, a Spanish speaking guest (apparently) came up from behind me in line and spoke to her in Spanish. She immediately attended to this fellow while I was left to wait for the next clerk.

- The only group that seems to have their act together is the young men who load and unload the cars in the front.

For the most part (excepting the ski valet), the staff is friendly but woefully untrained. Additionally, there never seems to be anyone in charge to speak with: at the front desk, the ski valet, the restaurants.... For my part, for the amount you charge, the service is so bad as to be almost unbelievable. I have had better service in any number of chain hotels. I can assure you that we will not be staying at your hotel again - and will attempt to dissuade others from doing so.

Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank mrymtg
Reviewed February 13, 2011

Traveled with my adult children and their spouses. We loved the convenience of being near the mountain (walking distance from the gondola), the ski valet service, the access to spa services and the lovely 2 bedroom unit where we stayed and cooked every meal. The lodge is beautiful with lovely decor and very friendly and helpful staff.

Reviewed February 10, 2011

We stayed in the basic room. We booked last minute so we only had a double bed but it was very comfortable. The service was excellent. The food at the restaurants was delicious. The pool and spa were spotless. The hotel was booked solid (we got the last room) and it did not feel cramped or too busy. The staff go above and beyond. They are friendly, courteous and helpful to a fault. We had one minor criticism which we mentioned to the front desk and we were credited immediately. We even received a thank you note for staying with them - nice touch.
This is a great place for a romantic weekend, girl's or guy's getaway and family fun. There is something for everyone

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 9, 2011

The hotel is lovely - rooms are generously-sized, beds comfortable, bathrooms also large and well-designed. The ski valet service is great; they warm your boots and store your gear in a room with benches where you can gear up and walk right out to the base of the mountain. I'd give the service a solid B+ - it's good...but in a laid-back way. I would definitely look forward to returning - didn't hit the spa at all. Concierge was very helpful in securing a babysitter for a few hours.

And now for a random and irrelevant comment: I found the front-desk uniforms really odd. They look like something out of a Garnet Hill catalog...except that everyone is wearing the same thing. Just not sure that the slouchy swing sweater and "uniform" intersect all that well.

Reviewed February 2, 2011

This is a wonderful, relaxing resort. As long as you aren't going on a very busy weekend, there is absolutely nothing to complain about. However, if you are booking a stay during a federal holiday, then the restaurant isn't large enough for lunch or dinner. They also need to increase the number of staff members during this time. If you are going any other time, it is absolutely perfect. Everyone is incredibly nice and everything is made easy. I hate lugging skis and boots around. Almost makes skiing not worth while. You can call ahead and they will have your boots and skis ready for you if you're renting. The ski valet is easy and convenient. Ski in ski out can't be beat. The spa and outdoor heated pool are also great. We are considering a time share here.

• Stayed: January 2011