“This is where to stay when in Stowe”

Stowe Mountain Lodge
Ranked #3 of 24 Hotels in Stowe
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed January 30, 2010

We recently (Jan.10-14) stayed at SML and had a great experiance.My 7y/o son,wife and I thought the service was excellent. We took the Amtrak Vermonter(Trenton to Waterbury Stowe-9.5 hrs.) and were picked up by the hotel's SUV. The ride is about 25 minutes to the hotel. The Train is best way:no security lines or bag check necessary. The hotel is gorgeous and everyone was very helpful--especially the consierge staff. [thank you] The room, a Timberline suite was clean and comfortable. Although there is a full kitchen, we ate in the SML restaurants or the nearby slopeside ski cafe.The proximity to skiing was great ,just a 4 minute walk.The bed and pillows were unbelievable! Just be careful with the t.v.- we watched what I thought was a free "regular t.v. show" and were charged $$. We loved every minute of our stay. The gym was decent,the super-heated pool was a little chilly but once we made it to the ajoining hot-tub.....aaaahhh! Try Dog sledding with peace pups-- we went at night and truly enjoyed the experiance!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Andyand2
There are newer reviews for Stowe Mountain Lodge

Reviewed January 26, 2010

As a place to spend time enjoying foliage or skiing, this property is lovely (although it does evoke the image of a modern day version of a Swiss sanitarium--something out of a Thomas Mann novel). The rooms are lavishly appointed and are very comfortable. Each room has a sitting area, gas fireplace [which shuts off every 15 minutes or so], and fully equipped kitchenette.

But, as a place to plan for some significant life event, such as a wedding, fuggetaboutit. The event contract they submitted to us was so one-sided as to be a minefield of hazards for a patron. From billing and collection procedures (among other things, making the patron responsible for all his guests’ debts, imposing onerous cancellation fees , and putting their hands in your pocket by having you agree to IRREVOCABLE access to your credit card), to force majeure conditions (conveniently omitting such events as fire, flood, power failures as force majeure events, as well as any obligation to refund deposits ), to making the patron responsible for every bit of property damage (whether or not attributable to the patron’s negligence) and the resort responsible for none (even if a waiter trips and spills hot gravy on the bride’s wedding dress), to requiring litigation to be heard ONLY in Lamoille County (pop. 30k),to several other offensive and petty conditions, Stowe Mountain Lodge seems to be saying, “Sign here, sucker.” By contrast, both Four Seasons and Woodstock Inn event contracts (which I had for side-by-side comparisons) are fair and friendly to its patrons, having none of the text I found so objectionable in the Stowe Mtn contract. Perhaps future patrons will see a more even-handed contract, since I extensively marked up theirs. Getting them to accept revisions was like pulling teeth, which they did not do to my satisfaction. So, I terminated negotiations.

The foregoing should perhaps come as no surprise, given that this property is owned by AIG. Oddly, their contract claims not to have liability insurance for damage to patrons’ property. I wonder if I should refer them to an AIG agent.

I will acknowledge that Heidi, their event manager, was knowledgable and tried to be accommodating.

Two other negatives: The restaurant, though very good, is overpriced. Also, my daughter forgot her toothbrush and called down for one. We were charged $4! Even Holiday Inn has complimentary toothbrushes for forgetful guests.
SO, my favorable recommendation pertains only to the property as a place to relax, not to plan a group event. If you’re thinking of the latter, read their contract very carefully and know what you’re signing.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank schvitzNewYorkCity
jjhorsman, Managing Director at Stowe Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2010

Thank you so much for your feedback. It is through honest comments like this that we can improve our operation. We have shared your feeback with our corporate office and are in the process of reviewing. Thank you again. Should you have any additional questions or concerns, please contact us directly.

James J Horsman
Managing Director

Reviewed January 18, 2010

...because this high end resort has thought of EVERY way to get your wallet open, and I mean every way. To be fair, this is a beautiful, new hotel with great amenities and a great location next to Stowe Mountain, but they have done their homework and will squeeze every single penny they can out of you. I would have rated this hotel a 4.5 star, except for the lack of the "little things" that a hotel for $500 per night (holiday peak rate) should provide. I will organize my experience in a list of pros and cons:
PROS:
1. Rooms are fabulous, new and clean
2. Service attendants are generally good (ski valet, car valet, maid service with nightly turn downs including making the fold out bed EACH night).
3. Proximity to mountain.
4. Free internet
5. Kid friendly.

CONS:
1. "Nickel and dime you". For example, forget about grabbing a "cheap" drink at a vending machine next to the ice machine. Vending machines do not exist, literally. You must order room service, walk down to the lobby area and order a soda in a glass for $4 from the bar, or remember to bring lots of drinks and snacks with you and STOCK UP THE ROOM (which does have a fridge).
2. No good and fast breakfast alternative. We stayed here less than 1 year ago in March 2009 and there was a nice little coffee shop with all kinds of baked goods that was good for a quick breakfast to get out to the mountain in a timely manner. This has been shut down for unknown reasons. So the options are the following, bring breakfast food and stock up the room as above (there is a coffee maker with coffee stocked in the rooms), or go the hotel restaurant (Solstice) for an EXPEN$IVE sit-down breakfast, or walk over to the ski lodge for a slightly less EXPEN$IVE breakfast. Interestingly, they now offer complimentary coffee near the lobby, but the coffee thermos's were empty two days in a row when we went there between 8-9AM. I just think a hotel of this nature and price should provide a quick and easy breakfast alternative for guests who want a quick-hitter and then get right to skiing on the mountain.
3. I mentioned kid friendly as a pro, but when that goes as far as teenagers in the hot tub throwing snow balls at your first floor balcony window, that gets to be a little too friendly. When we called down to the front desk to ask for manager intervention, they claimed to have sent someone, but no one showed up. The snowballs continued again, even after we left for a walk around the hotel (my older son stayed in the room and was again annoyed by the sound of hard snow hitting a large glass window). Basically, just a complete lack of supervision for a pool area filled with kids and teens.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank bluejay39
Reviewed January 15, 2010

For the 2nd year in a row we had a business meeting at Stowe Mountain Lodge. The staff, facilities and food exceeded our expectations.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank FarmerBobVermont
Reviewed January 12, 2010

I stayed at Stowe right after Christmas, and it was packed. And although I could tell the staff was stretched a little thin, but they did a tremendous job of treating us like we were the only guests in their busy hotel that week. This was the best service I experienced at a ski resort, and would recommend it to anyone taking a romantic getaway or family outing. Take advantage of their great concierge service for tips during your stay. An amazing spa center and the great ski slopes were all I needed, but there's plenty to do in this awesome little town.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Soxfan11
Reviewed January 11, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Stowe Mountain Lodge for 3 nights from Dec 30 - Jan 2, 2010. During this holiday week, as others have stated this below, they were understaffed or something during the holiday week. Our room was not ready at 3pm check-in, rather it was ready at 6:30pm. We had a dog, so one of us had to stay behind with the dog, while the other one skiied for the afternoon the day we arrived. Secondary to this, the manager gave us a voucher for drinks and dinner at Solstice, which was wonderful. The manager was readily available on the 30 Dec to address our issues. Unlike others who have commented about this week, we typically saw more than one person at the front desk and was easily able to talk to the manager. The other issue with understaffing was the concierge. There seemed to be a line a lot of the times, and when we requested a ski rental reservation, it was done. The day before we arrived, on the 29th, the power was out due to high winds for 1-2 hours, which may account for other issues some have experienced. Weather is not under the control of the lodge.
On a positive note, the room was wonderful! We had a suite, and it had a lovely view. The AC/heater was not too loud, and it operated without difficulty. Loved the fireplace. The valet was wonderful; always timely and very helpful. We used room service a couple times, and everything showed up on time and was hot and delicious. The skiing was absolutely wonderful. The ski school was great, and the instructors were great!
We had a wonderful time! Yes, there were some issues, but this did not ruin our overall experience. We will definately return again.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lori_and_Matt2
Reviewed January 9, 2010

Stayed December 29th , Never in my life have I waited three hours for room service to deliver my food,. We orderd Kids pasta. and two steaks, Not even an apology.
There are plenty of other great choices in Stowe, and I would recommend this resort to get its act together... Probably our worse Christmas experience.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family