“Complete Bliss”

Stowe Mountain Lodge
Ranked #3 of 24 Hotels in Stowe
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed July 15, 2014

Alright so this was our second time. We went over July 4th weekend and had an absolute blast. so much so that we after driving about 2 hours to get back home, we turned around and went back for another night. Why, why not. The staff was wonderful, the hotel is outstanding, hiking is spectacular, bike riding fun and the residents of Stowe welcome you with a smile and open arms. What more can you ask for.

Room Tip: Can't help with this one. we had a view of the front which included a stunning mountain view.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank eveningsky
StoweMountainLodge, Manager at Stowe Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2014

WOW! Thank you for returning to Stowe Mountain Lodge - so soon! We love hearing stories like this. We look forward to seeing you again….whenever you like!

Reviewed July 15, 2014

My family of four stayed two nights at the Stowe Mountain Lodge in early July 2014. Despite checking in late in the evening, the friendly young lady working the check-in desk (I wish I could remember her name!) was able to upgrade us to a suite (with a full kitchen and a washer and dryer - quite helpful given the dirty clothes that we had accumulated during our ongoing road trip); she was also quite accommodating regarding our request for sandwiches to be made and delivered to our room early the following morning to take on our zipline tour (at ArborTrek). The rest of the staff (housekeeping, valets and bellhops) were also well trained and quite friendly and seemed to enjoy their jobs and pleasing their guests. Unlike my stay at the equally pricey Hershey Hotel (in Hershey, PA), at Stowe Mountain Lodge I feel like I got a premium hotel experience and premium service for the premium price paid. I plan to make Stowe, VT part of our next trip to the northeast and to stay again at Stowe Mountain Lodge.

1  Thank WoodlandsDaddy

Thank you for the glowing review of Stowe Mountain Lodge! We are thrilled to hear about your visit during your road trip and look forward to your return to Stowe, Vermont.

Reviewed July 14, 2014 via mobile

The hotel itself it's beautiful, the service amazing... And thank god it is because of the price you pay for everything to stay at this resort. Don't forget your toothbrush or else you can get a really expensive one. No complimentary items here. Only disappointing part was after visiting the spa we, the bridal party were required to take off our own shellac polish, and it was replaced with regular nail polish. No one uses that anymore!!!! Ah! Not worth the price. The spa staff however were super sweet, but need to have more staff on hand to take care of a bridal party. We spent 6 hours in there and all had to redo our nails the next day, and change our makeup. However the wedding planner was AMAZING and made my best friends wedding a dream come true. Don't think I would go back for a stay, but was nice to visit.

Stayed: July 2014

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Stowe Mountain Lodge and our Spa. I apologize for the inconvenience at The Spa. I have shared your experience with our team at The Spa in a training environment. Kindly reach out to me at the Lodge with any more questions or comments.

Reviewed July 13, 2014

We stayed at the Stowe Mountain Lodge in late June. The resort is very nice. The lobby is expansive and well appointed, and our room was comfortable. They even let us self park in the lot next to the hotel so we would not have to pay $21 per day for valet parking. I imagine this is not possible during the winter. They did try to have my sign some paper that I think would have signed me up for timeshare presentations, but I refused to do so and it wasn't an issue.

We stayed in the Timberline studio. It had plenty of space and decent stocked kitchenette if we wanted to cook. The bathroom was nice with a separate shower. There were some issues: There are no electrical outlets anywhere near the desk. I had to run the plug for my laptop to the other side of the room. Additionally, the wireless Internet was experiencing severe problems. I encountered major packet loss and could barely load any pages.

The resort itself is very nice. But the big problem we had was that virtually nothing is active at Stowe during the summer. None of the shops are open. The cafeterias are not open. There was construction everywhere. Even the gondola was not operating. I talked with a staff member in reservations, and he failed to mention that the gondola would not be operating this summer. Apparently Stowe planned to open a chairlift for the July 4th weekend, but we left before then.

Note that the Lodge is at the base of Spruce Peak. This is where the Alpine Slides are located. But the hiking and views are on Mt. Mansfield, which is nearly a half mile from the hotel. During winter there is a gondola to transport you to Mt. Mansfield. This was not operating while we were there. I don't know if it was closed for the summer or if this was due to gondola maintenance.

If Stowe was more active in the summer like other ski resorts, the Stowe Mountain Lodge might be a great place to stay. For us, it ended up being a pretty resort in the middle of nowhere with virtually nothing going on. I'm sure it's nice (and very expensive) during the winter.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank radx4

We appreciate hearing your perspective and thank you for your feedback. We pride ourselves in offering a variety of experiences for all travelers; including dynamic group functions, romantic getaways, and family adventures. Our Alpine Concierge is pleased to fine tune our guest’s visit and we are always happy to offer a more personalized experience.

Reviewed July 13, 2014

We recently visited the Lodge as a large group (three families) and the experience was excellent.

As soon as we pulled into the driveway, the service was wonderful. All the staff were very friendly and welcoming, but Stephen at the front desk was outstanding. His ability to accommodate all our needs (without skipping a beat) was exceptional. We've traveled throughout the US staying at the Ritz properties and the level of service is similar. Kudos to Stephen and the management team.

Highlights of the trip:
Swimming in the pool - large, clean pool without the crowds of summer
Zip lining in Smugglers Notch. - little scary, but very fun adventure
Hiking to Bingham Falls swimming hole - absolutely beautiful spot and refreshing water
Gazing at the star from the patio

Thank you for a memorable vacation.

Reviewed July 12, 2014

We planned to spend 4 days at the hotels over the July 4th weekend. We ended up checking out a day earlier. On our 2nd day the hotel lost power, the refrigerator in our room stopped working and the air conditioner failed. We did not see this problem get resolved. To add to this, construction outside starts early and could not get any sleep. When we asked to checkout a day early due to the issues that were not gettting resolved the front desk had the audacity to consider an early checkout fee. The manager on call had the common sense to not charge a fee.

1  Thank shah242
Reviewed July 11, 2014

We just got back from our second summer stay at SML. We stayed a week each time. I would agree with others that the lodge and surrounding area are absolutely beautiful with plenty to keep you busy. I would also agree with mass_traveler100's review that the lack of towels coming out of the heated pool on a cool windy day was not fun. (When we saw a hotel employee coming into the pool area with several towels, my son went to get one but an adult ran past him to grab up the last 3. Nice right.) Anyway, our Ridgeline Studio room in the west wing was on the 1st floor. You could see the very top of the mountain beyond the trees and the road noise was not great with the balcony door open. On the bright side, we had a pretty great shot of the fireworks on July 5th. Next time we'll pay a bit more and go for the Alpine Studio.