“Yearly February Trip”

Stowe Mountain Lodge
Ranked #3 of 24 Hotels in Stowe
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed March 16, 2014

Great place to stay. I go every year in February after vacation week - it's amazing. The staff is friendly and the fireplaces in the lobby are wonderful to just lounge with a glass of champagne. Be careful of your final bill-every year I'm overcharged for something.

Room Tip: Book on cyber Monday
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Stowe Mountain Lodge

Reviewed March 15, 2014 via mobile

We just spent three nights here and had a great time. Access to skiing is fantastic - there are trails just outside the main resort, or you can take a short gondola ride to the bigger side of the mountain. There were no lines and the trails were excellent.
What we loved:
- access to the mountain
- room had a kitchenette and a gas fireplace
- Friendly and helpful staff.
- Good food at the resort
- fitness center
- free wifi (when it worked)
What we didn't like:
- everything costs a lot of money.
- cell phone coverage (at&t) was terrible. We used to hotel phone to call our kids and paid $14 for a 2 minute phone call
- the outdoor pool and hot tubs were not warm/hot
- $21/per day to use the valet parking, but you have to valet park your car
- I like morning coffee, but had to pay $3 for a cup of coffee to go from the restaurant. No coffee shop on site
Tips for staying:
Recommend going to the grocery store on the way there. Food on site is good but pricey
If you're skiing sign up for the bypass instead of buying a multi-day pass.
Try breakfast at the Dutch Pancake down the road
Bring flip-flips for the pool area
Rooms were a little bit noisy, so bring earplugs if noise bothers you
Bring cash to tip staff

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Spent 4 nights here for our daughters Spring Break. Lodge is located about 15 minutes outside of town. Great snowboard in/out amenity. We stayed in a King room with a queen pull out couch. Room was equipped with a dorm style fridge, double burner stovetop, small coffee maker, microwave, small sink, dishwasher, and toaster (toaster oven would've been nicer). The room was decent sized and also had a gas fireplace. We had to have housekeeping come to setup the pullout as the bedding was not provided in the room. Bathroom was bigger than expected with a separate soaker tub (equipped w a handheld shower wand) and a stand alone frameless glass shower. Shower head was "low flow" to be in step with the general theme of being green found throughout Vermont but wasn't a huge nuisance. We also had a balcony overlooking the valet area but also gave us a nice view of the runs on the mountain across the street. Only downside was having the snow plows wake you around 7am. Overall I felt the accommodations would be hard to beat for this area. It's definitely not at the level of a Fairmont, Four Seasons, or Ritz. But at this price (we scored a AAA rate), you shouldn't expect that. If you're a frequent traveler you could equate it to a newer Hilton property with a lodge theme. I will say the sheets were the softest of any hotel I've ever stayed at, and I've stayed at all the properties noted above. Silky soft!! Huge props to them for that.

As far as the property, it's about what you'd expect which is to say that it's very pleasant. Large outdoor heated swimming pool with a heated indoor entrance/exit which I've never seen before. Makes getting in/out a painless process. There's also 2 spas outside as well. There are also two restaurants on property. We only dined at Solstice (Casual dress but fine dining). The menu is limited but everyone should find something they'll like. Surprisingly the kids menu is very broad so don't feel the need to skip due to a fussy eater. They even had a kid buffet setup. Hot dogs, tenders, peanut butter and fluff sandwiches, Mac n cheese, etc... It was done tastefully as to not take away from the atmosphere of a fine dining restaurant. The three of us ate for $150 including tip. I had two drinks and wife/daughter only had water. The other restaurant is served by the same kitchen but had a more casual menu. However, he same chef is in charge so I'd guess that it's quality. Just outside of the hotel is the largest of the restaurants. This is where you'd eat lunch while spending the day on the mountain. It's cafeteria style with various stations that you'll surely find something for anyone. Seating is hard to come by at lunch so you'll need to partner up with someone to secure a table. It's a little ridiculous as dozens of tables are being saved by people who have someone else in line so if you don't do the same you end up walking around for 10-15mins letting your food get cold while stalking people getting ready to leave.

Also on property is Spruce Camp which provides you with rental equipment if needed. I was not impressed with the equipment they provided my wife/daughter or with their service. It was so inferior that we ended up purchasing boots and skis for my wife so we don't encounter this again. Additionally, there's a real breakdown between them and the ski valet at hotel. Neither side really seems to understand how the other side works. One pimpled teenager looking kid at Spruce Camp even went as far as to claim the ski valet was clueless and he was certain our boots were delivered (after ski valet confirmed they weren't). After a quick look at the shelf behind him I could see them sitting there. He was so cocky but then humbled in the span of 20secs. It was comical. He just walked away and refused to apologize for being so arrogant and disrespectful towards the hotel staff. On the ski valet side our skis were late to come out each day and the staff always looked so confused. Countless people were waiting for their equipment and they just couldn't find it. They actually had the guests walking through their storage area assisting them. It was a continuing theme each time I went there so I have to assume its an issue with the staff or their process. If it was up to me, I wouldn't use them but they are total Nazis about not letting you bring your ski/board in your room. The bell man even went as far as to open my bag and remove my board as he unloaded my car. I don't know about you but my board bag is jammed full of my gear and he handed me back a big mess in my bag. I understand the hotel not wanting your board or skis in room but at least take it to my room and let me unpack (or at least provide the option) then take board to ski valet. TIP - The night before checkout just take your stuff to the room and pack it. If they question you just say your packing the bag and will bring it back down. It's terribly inconvenient to have to pack your bag with your gear, drag it to ski valet, unpack your gear, put your board/skis in, then pack your gear once again. My only other annoyance was with housekeeping. They shorted us on towels everyday. 2 sets for 3 people? We would have to call each afternoon for an additional set. The same people were doing the turn down service where they made up the pull out so they knew we had 3 people. Not sure what they were thinking?

For first timers I recommend purchasing your lift passes online and linking your CC to the "Stowe Card". I think that's what it's called? It took me a day to figure this out but once you link your CC to the Stowe Card you can use it for all your purchases at the lodge. And if you want to do an extra day of boarding you just go straight to the lifts and when the card is scanned it charges you the lowest possible lift ticket price automatically (which was $84 during our trip). I think it's ridiculous you need to pay $5 for this card but your don't really have any option. I've never been charged for my access card out west. Must be an east coast thing?

Things to do in the area....

Do not waste your time driving an hour to Smugglers notch. Our daughter wanted to stay there because of the fun zone but after reading reviews it seemed like an 80s leftover dump. Let me tell you. That's exactly what it is. It's a joke. We promised we'd take her there and buy the $20 day pass so she could play in the fun zone in lieu of staying there. So we drove all the way there (the mtn pass is closed in winter) and arrived at 11am only to find out it isn't open until 2pm. Weird! Anyway, after walking around trying to kill 3hrs and seeing how miserable the place was our 11yr old daughter said this place is garbage lets go. So we did.

Instead, we did the Ben and Jerry's factory tour. That was cool. It's only 30mins. Highly recommend. We also ate at Piecasso's, Harrison's, Dutch Pancake House, and Gracie's. All are within 15mins of hotel and I strongly recommend all of them. Not a single bad experience. I'll add separate reviews of them.

Hope this review is helpful. I know I kind of nit picked them on some things but it's just to provide you with as much info as possible. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. Especially after seeing some of the competition in the area. I truly believe there a level above everything else offered. How Smugglers Notch won the the #1 family resort ranking is beyond my comprehension. Stowe Lodge is clearly superior!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jason W
StoweMountainLodge, Manager at Stowe Mountain Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to share such a detailed experience of your spring break to Stowe Mountain Lodge. While it’s clear there’s always room for improvement, it seemed your experience was a truly memorable one. We appreciate the feedback and use that to help us continually improve. We look forward to your return.

Regards,
Matthew Quick
Director of Rooms

Reviewed March 11, 2014

Staying here for the first time, as I usually go to another resort.
SML is virtually at the bottom of the Spruce mountain ski area, mins easy walk
from the lifts. Easy, quick gondola ride over to the Mount Mansfield area. Great ski school and small complex here with restaurants (one casual, one more formal), ski shop, base lodge, etc.
Ski valets pull your skiis for you in the a.m. and put them in alphabetized racks. Just pick them up and walk a minute or so to the lifts. Return the to the "done for the day" rack at the end.
Rooms are very nice, esp. bathrooms...big with separate tub and shower.
Had a problem with rowdy late night party and I was moved with no questions asked. Very responsive mgmt. Hotel seems very family oriented and I think the gentlemen in the room next door were an anomaly. Kids are out in the spa pool right now, enjoying the juxtaposition of the warm water and the snow.

Room Tip: I am staying in a king room. There are studios and suites also. I'd ask for a room with a safe i...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed March 10, 2014

Best part of hotel: located at base of mountain, walking distance to the base lodge etc. Ski in/ski out valet is a great concept although when we were there they consistently screwed up everyone's skis and boots. Lobby is pretty. Choice of casual and formal restaurant (reservations in advance are necessary). Availability of kitchenette suites.
The cons: aforementioned ski valet problems. Car valet was even worse. We are in the middle of Vermont but somehow they still feel justified charging $20/day for parking with no self-park available? This would be acceptable if the valet service was superior and your stuff was whisked in and out. However, we called the valet, and were made to wait 45 minutes for our car and were late to a movie. During this process we checked multiple times and were assured every time 5-10 minutes. In addition, one of the times we were told the car was out there and that we should just walk down the driveway and go find it. After walking down the driveway one of the drivers said the head valet was lying because the radio clearly said they couldn't find our car. Oh, yeah, and when we finally got our car and rushed to see what was left of the movie, we didn't notice the valet left someone else's car keys in our car! poor person! PS no apology at all until check out where that gentleman kindly took off the valet charges.
Other cons: the lobby is overrun and especially with kids and random dads walking around in bathrobes lounging about as if it were their own home. Room service menu was limited and the food arrived cold (and it was not tasty).
All in all, if I were charged 1/3 or even maybe half the price I was charged I would still do it because of the location. The rooms were clean, there was a lovely fireplace in our room and we loved having a kitchenette. Note the rooms are very tight. The walls are very thin. However, at the price we were charged, the service was well below expectations.

Room Tip: Kitchenettes save a ton of cash but note they are mini-fridges with the tiny freezers.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is our family winter vacation spot! Stowe was to become the last 8 years in our destination during winter season! The area is super nice! The Hotel is one of the best in all USA. The rooms are very comfortable, they have great deals throughout the year!

Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed March 9, 2014

As someone there for business, the Hotel staff and surroundings made the experience easy. We had options for meals, places to meet and work, and everything went well. Just what i needed and expected. The pool is fantastic.

Room Tip: From my 4 years of staying there for business, i can say that no rooms are inferior for any reason.
Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business