“Cozy room....wonderful ambiance...friendly staff”

Stowe Mountain Lodge
Ranked #3 of 24 Hotels in Stowe
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Brooksville, Fl
“Cozy room....wonderful ambiance...friendly staff”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We loved our two day stay at the lodge. Our room was comfortable with a fireplace and faced a wonderful view of foliage and mountain. The spa looked inviting but didn't have time to enjoy. The bar and restaurant were wonderful and we ate dinner two nights there. Above all the entire staff from waiters to car attendants were so friendly it was unbelievable. They offered suggestions of places to visit in town and directions to Burlington which were all a short drive. Luckily the lodge wasnt crowded so we felt we got extra special treatment. The only,flaw was the housekeeping staff which had their storage across from our room and were practically shouting to one another at 8 am
We certainly look forward to coming back and using more of the facilities including the all encompassing work out room and yearly heated pool!

Room Tip: Get a room facing the mountains and one with the kitchenette if you are bring in snacks and drinks.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (449)
NY
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We came here for a nearby family event. There was a special group rate which gave us a significant discount. This made us feel a little better about splurging on a bigger room, one with a sitting area and fireplace, and a large balcony looking up at the mountain. Our first impressions were very positive--great personal welcome from the staff, beautiful welcoming lobby, quick checkin and escort to our room with a little narrative along the way of where to find everything of interest. Bellhop showed us all the features of the room and how to work everything. The room itself was great--large, immaculate, generally well-equipped. There was one glaring exception: not a single mirror outside the bathroom! Sometimes I need to brush my hair or put on earrings or whatever while the bathroom is occupied and we are both trying to get ready at once. Or I just want to do my makeup outside the hot damp bathroom! It's a minor quibble but could be fixed so easily...

The bed was the most comfortable I've ever slept in. I actually pulled up everything on the end of the bed to find out what kind of mattress it was and discovered the secret--a thick, double-layered featherbed (mattress topper)! There were plenty of pillows (including extras in one of the closets), soft sheets and quilts, loads of storage, bathrobes big enough for real people, a well equipped small clean kitchen, BATH SHEETS, not little runty towels... I could go on and on! Was it perfect? No. The bathrobes were staticky. The food was very expensive. The breakfast buffet was underwhelming. Retrieving our car from the valet was way too slow every time. But the spa was terrific, the golf course magnificent, the whole hotel elegant yet very relaxed and comfortable--some twig furniture, but not the usual kitschy stuff--very upscale. Subtly rustic, not overdone. The most important thing of all? Immaculate everywhere. I honestly did not see any loose hairs, peeling wallpaper, dirty grout, stained towels, or any of the things that often spoil even otherwise nice places. While checking out, there was a man with a narrow brush cleaning the floor in between each baluster! In short, excellent attention to the smallest details!

Final verdict? I would love to spend more time at the Stowe Mountain Lodge. Few hotels I have stayed at have lived up to my expectations as well as this one.

Room Tip: There is a whole pet-free floor. If you are allergic or just don't want to be around animals ask...
Ithaca, New York
Reviewed October 15, 2012

I just returned from a 5-day vacation at Stowe Mountain Lodge. It met all our expectations, and exceeded them. The staff were friendly, attentive, and efficient, yet unobtrusive. The 2-room suite was large and comfortably furnished, with a spectacular view of the mountain. The full kitchen was well-equipped; we used it for breakfasts, but it would have served for lunches and dinners if desired. The hot tub was wonderful. The restaurants were good, but there are better dining options in town. The bottom line: after most hotel stays, I feel that I could return on another trip, or (often) not; Stowe Mountain Lodge is among the few places I *definitely* plan to visit again. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
StoweMountainLodge, Manager at Stowe Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Our goal at Stowe Mountain Lodge is to make our guests feel like this is their home-away-from-home and know they feel welcome enough to come back. Hearing you enjoyed your suite and the attentive service lets us know we are on the right track to providing the world-class service we pride ourselves on. We hope to welcome you back again soon!

Director of Operations
Titusville, Florida
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We recently traveled to Vermont to see the beautiful leaves and Stowe Mountain Lodge puts you right in the middle of them for sure. It was a little past peak, but still very beautiful. We arrived a bit early and our room was not ready yet so we left the bags and went on another drive, taking 108 to Jeffersonville, which was truly magical with fall colors. We received a promised phone call when our room was ready, which we greatly appreciated. The receptionist was charming. When I was handed the room key I noticed that it was the first floor and immediately asked for an upper floor indicating that I wanted a better view and did not want to be by the driveway. She went over and discussed with another women who came back and said all of our rooms have views of the mountains and it will be fine. I said I preferred a higher floor, and she indicated that this was the room I paid for. At that point, I was ready to get a bit more assertive but since I had not seen the room I decided to do that first and if unacceptable I would return to the desk, but I did not discuss this with the front desk staff and was disappointed at how disrepectful they were to my request. Some explanation on why it was a problem was appropriate. We went to the room and I thought it was a GREAT room. It was a one room suite, lovely living area with fun gas fireplace and little kitchenette. We were impressed with the little dishwasher in a drawer. The bathroom was beautiful and I loved the bamboo sheets on the VERY comfy bed. We were very close to where the cars unload, but it is true that stepping out the door and looking around, you could see the beautiful surrounding mountains and trees. However, my husband was not comfortable with people walking by all day so we kept the curtains closed. He did not wish to pursue moving for the two days we would be there, and again, we absolutely loved the room. The resort was a bit lifeless but that is expected, I believe, in the lull before winter. When I look at what is offered in winter, it looks impressive. The lodge did send a follow-up request on how our stay was and I relayed my experience including the one disappointing matter above. Within a day, I received a personal phone call to discuss what had happen by an exceptional individual that helped me feel appreciated for my comments and reflected a true desire for excellence for the property and staff. He also knew the manager involved and assured me what a dedicated person she was. I really have no doubt that he is right. We can all be distracted or interrupted and unintentionally react differently than what we typically aspire to. This follow-up and attention to the matter is commendable. But this first impression is what lowered my score from a 5 to a 4.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your candid review. While we continually attempt to provide a flawless experience for our guests, the occasional challenges present. While this is not indicative of the level of service we normally provide, we do appreciate that you enjoyed your accommodations and the follow up provided by the team. Thank you for sharing your story and we do hope to see you back with us shortly.

Director of Operations.
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Stayed in a lovely 1-bed suite, overlooking the pool and the mountains - glorious aspect! Large resort, would be ideal for families and couples alike. We appreciated having kitchen facilities to make drinks etc. dining a the resort is xpensuve. Service was great and staff very pleasant.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Wellington, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 12, 2012

We travelled all the way from the UK and up to Vermont and stayed 2 nights at the brilliant Stowe Mountain Lodge (we did go elsewhere:-))
From the moment we came around the corner to see the resort to the WOW when we walked into our room and our great experience in the restaurant.
The views out onto Mount Mansfield from our room were spectacular - we did miss the snow which came the night after we left.
The natural beauty of the area with the all colours of the fall made for a great stay.

I know people have made negative comments about the "mandatory" valet parking. It was an added cost - which should really have been included in the cost as I doubt many people travel other than by car! The valets were very helpful and had no issue with bringing the car around on multiple times.

No hesitation in strongly recommending Stowe Mountain Lodge

Room Tip: Go for a timberline studio
1 Thank Drewzz2
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed October 12, 2012

My husband and I booked a trip to Stowe for 3 nights as we were looking for some time a way to relax and see some beautiful fall foliage. All I can say is WOW.
Parking
You do have to pay 19.00 a day for valet, but it is worth it. From asking how our day was, to opening doors as we came in and out the door, to asking if we had any recommendations for dinner or things to do, they did a wonderful job. Whenever we would call for the car, it would be at the front within 5 minutes.
Staff
All very polite, very attentive and willing to help with anything we needed. We did not run into one unfriendly person here. We had room service everyday including fresh towels and our kitchenette area cleaned.
Grounds
Breathtaking. The view is just amazing-especially in the fall. Outdoors, they have a pool that is heated year round as well as a spa. They also have an over sized chess board and shuffle board to play. There is also a playground and hiking in the back. The grounds are very clean and decorated well for the season.
Rooms
We booked a Timberland suite. It overlooked the pool. The bed was just so comfortable. I don't know what kind of sheets they used, but they were so soft! They also have a pillow service if you would like a certain pillow. We did not take advantage of this as we had very comfortable pillows, but I thought that was a nice service. Bedside, we had a very nice alarm clock which you could connect your I-pod too. The kitchenette included 2 stove burners, a small fridge, sink, microwave and small dishwasher, A knife block with many knives, toaster and 4 cup coffee maker. It also included any dishes you could think of-including a wine opener which we always forget! It was nice because I was able to make breakfast each morning as my husband and I get tired of going out to eat for every meal. Our room also included a fireplace that you just had to click on and it went off automatically. The bathroom had a nice tub-suitable for only one. The shower though, one of the best I had in a while. Just great. The bathroom had lutron lighting which made it even more calm. The room was clean and there was not one thing more we could have asked for. However, I know if we did forget something, I'm sure the staff would have been more than happy to help.
Other notables
In the hotel is a gift shop, including a shop to get things that you forgot ie: deodorant, shampoo, toothpaste etc. There also is a Ralph Lauren store attached to it. There also is a game room in the hotel. It has a few games as well as air hockey and toys other children can play with.

Overall, I can't imagine a better place to stay in Stowe. It's in a great area, the staff is wonderful, the grounds and hotel itself are very clean and the rooms just comfortable. It is a little more pricey, however, depending on the season, you can get great deals. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: If you are looking for more of a view of the mountains, ask for a room not overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
What a glowing review - thank you! We appreciate all the kind words and that you chose to stay at Stowe Mountain Lodge with all of the options you had in Stowe, Vermont. I'll be sure to share your comments with our staff. The sheets you commented on are Comfy Sheets and are available in The Spa. If you were so inclined to bring a bit of Stowe Mountain Lodge home with you, they are available for purchase by calling...or you can just come back! We do hope to welcome you back very soon.

Director of Operations