“Just as fabulous as the first time!”

Stowe Mountain Lodge
Ranked #3 of 24 Hotels in Stowe
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Boston, Ma
“Just as fabulous as the first time!”
Reviewed July 15, 2012

I went back and re-read my first review of this resort to see if anything needed to be altered. I’m delighted to say that this resort delivered again in every way. In my last review I closed by writing, “The Stowe Mountain Lodge will be our ultimate destination in the summer and we can’t imagine staying anywhere else”... how true! There's something about the quintessential Vermont atmosphere, gifted artisians, and everyday people that make me feel like retiring to this lovely state. Even the out of staters, such as myself, who have a gift for zany driving and not so nice gesturing in the city seem to find their manners and affable side up here in this exquisite state. Sorry I digress,...In addition to everything and everywhere that I mentioned in my review from last year...the room was lovely, the bedding soft and dreamy, the room service arrived hot and was very tasty, and the staff was friendly and always ready to help when necessary. My family was happy and in turn I was happy. Some new places to speak of are the golfing at the Stowe Country club, children are 50% off and we received a 15% off coupon from the resort front desk when arriving...shazaam!... and Ryder Brook Golf club in Waterbury Vermont are worth playing. The Ryder club has 9 holes that can be played twice at very reasonable rates with a cart and with a rate for children, as has the Stowe club, it makes for an enjoyable day. For dinner we finally fought the crowd, arrived early, which you simply must do to get in, and ate at the Trattoria La Festa a wonderful Italian restaurant minutes from the resort, you can view this restaurant "virtually" online at their site. They do take reservations as many of the great restaurants do to avoid the crowd and are a necessity for the weekends. I highly recommend this lovely restaurant with excellent food and as reasonable pricing that you will find at one of Stowe’s great restaurants. Very traditional and like my mom and nonni used to make! Yummy deserts as well. Pie In The Sky is a spot we tried for delicious takeout pizza (there are other foods available as well), which delivers to the Stowe Resort, which is convenient especially if the kids have had a long day in the resort pool, which is very glorious! I simply cannot recommend this resort enough AND you can sign up for emails which will allow you to book in advance and save 30-25% off your room rate depending on when you book! I actually phoned to make reservations the day after the 25% rate became extinct and would have had a 20% discount but the reservation specialist I spoke with at the resort removed the valet parking fee to accommodate me and make me feel as if I received a great discount! Now that is wonderful customer service! These resorts have become so pricey that it is nice to know that repeat customers can enjoy a discount and a feeling of gratitude from the resort when booking. If I had to have one negative comment it would be the low flow showers. However, it reminds me of a Seinfeld episode where the super was installing the low flow shower heads, then cut to the scene where Jerry and Kramer have hair plastered to their heads….anyway, it brings a smile to my face and I am no longer disgruntled. Make a reservation at the Stowe Mountian Lodge, where every picture online is EXACTLY how it appears in person, and you will not be unhappy! Be sure to go to McCarthy's for breakfast where the food is delicious, the atmosphere is lively and the staff is genuinely friendly!

Room Tip: We stay in the newer section where it is quieter but a bit of a walk to the pool and center of the h...
1 Thank Mass3

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (450)
Westport, Connecticut
Reviewed July 15, 2012

I happened across the lodge on a fall leave tour. The instant I pulled up I got a good feeling. The valet was at your door to open it, ask your name and summon the bell hop over. This was indicative of the staff and our experience through out our stay.The demeanor and attentiveness of the staff was impeccable. Seems as though every staff member knew our name. It felt like I was surrounded by friends. The room was very clean with a great view looking over Mt. Mansfield and the bar and restaurants were great too. Try the cheese platter made from local cheeses. Whoa! None the less I have great things to say about this place and no negatives (although it's not cheap , you can tell by the setting and staff).I would return here in a heartbeat.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 11, 2012

would go back in a heartbeat. Friendly staff, plenty to do and fabulous views. Couldn't ask for a better place to stay in VT.

Room Tip: Get a room that gives a view of the Mountain.
1 Thank joanne17221
StoweMountainLodge, Manager at Stowe Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Thank you for your review! Stowe Mountain Lodge was built with the new "Vermont-Alpine" style to be both stunning and comfortable but not feel out of place here in the mountains. We want you and the rest of our guests to be relaxed and at home while in residence with us and are glad to hear you enjoyed yourself! Hopefully, we will welcome you back soon.

Regards,
Heinrich von Puschendorf
Director of Operations
New York
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Our family absolutely loved the Stowe Mountain Lodge. Service was excellent from the front desk who greeted us by name to the concierge who helped us with places to visit. The room was beautiful and included a small kitchen and great bathroom. The porch was large and we had a gorgeous view of the mountains. The pool is huge and always heated to a comfortable temperature. We can't wait to go back.

3 Thank ja14trip
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Great place to stay in Stowe. High points were the accomodations (opt for the upgrade if available, worth the extra money), staff was incredibly attentive, golf course was unbelievable and the health club/fitness center was top notch for a resort. Low points were as mentioned in many reviews the valet parking situation. You must pay $20 per day and in one case I waited close to 30 minutes for my car, we had a room service meal one night, the order was not correct and the food was average, the golf was fabulous but be prepared to pay some hefty greens fees, $195 before 3 PM and $135 after 3 PM. This is a very high end resort with high end resort prices so don't think otherwise. However, if you want to treat yourself to some real luxury this is definitely a place to go.

Room Tip: Opt for at least a studio and get the upgrade option.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BruceAMD
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Spent four night over the 4th of July with our three kids. Lodge is very nice and staff very attentive from the spa, valets, bell staff, and housekeeping. Kids had a ton of fun in the outdoor heated pool, and the setting could not be more picturesque. They had a BBQ on Friday followed by fireworks on Spruce peak. Great way to end the week. 1BR Suite was more than enough space for 5 of us with a kitchen (King Bedroom, Queen couch, cot). It's expensive, but worth the splurge. I think the place could use some sort of takeout bakery to grab a coffee and danish as opposed to sitting down for a full and $$ breakfast.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
StoweMountainLodge, Manager at Stowe Mountain Lodge, responded to this review, July 20, 2012
Stowe knows how to celebrate Independance Day - thank you for participating during your family vacation! With the best seat in town for the fireworks, we are glad to hear the whole family enjoyed the summer holiday festivities. Thank you also for the feedback about a bakery. While we have tried various options, we currently have coffee and various sundries available for a quick to-go purchase in our retail shop. We hope to welcome you and your family back soon!

Regards,
Heinrich von Puschendorf
Director of Operations
ottawa
Reviewed July 7, 2012

This was our second time staying at the Stowe Mountain Resort. It is beautiful, luxurious, clean and picturesque. Unfortunately, I did not find our second stay as pleasant as the first.

No one greeted us like last time. In fact, it felt like they had very little staff on. As a result we waited 1/2 hour for our car one day. When they are charging you an extra $20 a day for valet service this is not fun. Also, no one ever answered when I called housekeeping and the front desk always rang busy so I had to walk down to the lobby every time. I don't know who those people are that sit at the desk beside the front doors, but they never look up or offer to help you.

The pool is great and the gym is probably one of the best I've been to. The activities at the resort, such as the alpine slide, bungee trampoline, etc. were fun for the kids. Too bad the Gondola wasn't operating because the walk over to the Mansfield Gondola was a little scary on that narrow road.

The restaurant is another situation. No one was there to seat us so we sat ourselves. Then the waiter completely ignored us for 10 minutes before we asked if he was our waiter. We just wanted menus at that point. This was for breakfast and it was not busy. The breakfast menu was ok, nothing outstanding. The worst mistake we made was to eat dinner there. Absolutely horrible, bland, overpriced food. Such a disappointment because the setting is so lovely. I could literally taste the water on my pasta noodles. No sauce, no flavor, and this was $28. My husband's steak was no better. Nothing special and just a steak, no sides for $31. This is shameful. I don't like to feel like I am being gauged and it was as if they really don't care about your dining experience at all, they just want your money. The kids' meals, however, were great and a good value, so I am not sure where the disconnect is in the kitchen but they need to do something because I can't imagine why I would ever eat there again.

My only other complaint is that they do not replenish the toiletries (including toilet paper) every time they clean the room. We were 4 people in one room and this looked kind of cheap to me.

Still, I will return because it is the best place to stay in Stowe in my opinion, I just hope management makes some changes.

2 Thank Familyvacationer2010