“great food, service and atmosphere”

Swiss Fondue Restaurant
Ranked #26 of 101 Restaurants in Stowe
Cuisines: Swiss
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Montgomery Center, Vermont
“great food, service and atmosphere”
Reviewed July 26, 2014

We had a wonderful experience at this restaurant. Two friends and myself visited this restaurant for lunch. We had the racollette which was absolutely delicious. We also tried two of the fondues the cheese and the beef and shrimp. Both were excellent. The owner came to our table to make sure that everything was done to our satisfaction. We had the rhubarb strawberry crepe for dessert and it was also delicious. We will recommend this restaurant to all of our friends.

1 Thank Suzanne W

Shirley, New York
“We Love Heinz and his crepes”
Reviewed July 17, 2014

Our family loves visiting Stowe. We were introduced to Heinz a few years ago at the Mountain Road Resort. We always looked forward to finding him on our visits. We were thrilled to see his own retaurant right on Main Street. As usual the crepes were delicious. Fresh ingredients and prepared right in front of you. The restaurant is nicely decorated as well. We hope to visit again in the fall and try the fondue.
JB Westhampton

3 Thank j b
Lexington, Massachusetts
“Melted cheese--Oh Gods yes.”
Reviewed July 14, 2014

A couple years ago we went to an inn that is one of our favorite breakfast places there. We saw a sign for a fondue restaurant renting the space for dinners and gave it a try. Oh good glory be was it delicious. My family has had fondue many a time but never anything nearly as good as this. I was more full at the end of that meal than I have probably been in my life time; it was so good I just couldn't stop eating. It was pricey but oh my do you get what you pay for!!
We just missed his grand opening last year, but this summer we got to go to his new place. It was lovely! The staff is super friendly, always smiling, and fast; Heinz himself comes out to each table, meets his customers and talks with them, gets to know them etc. The restaurant itself has cheerful Swiss music playing in the background that was not too loud by any stretch of the imagination; conversation could be held easily without raising your voice above normal levels. The chairs were very comfortable as well. We had the cheese fondue (and nearly died from deliciousness once again) and then chocolate fondue for desert (our third near death-by-deliciousness experience). If you love chocolate, get it!! The dark chocolate has the perfect balance of sweet to bitter so it's not cloying and blends really well with the fruit and cake you dip into it. We had to ask for spoons because we wanted the scrapings left in the pot and couldn't get using the little fondue forks...
It was so good we went back for lunch a couple days later. For lunch, while fondue is available, he has mainly crepes. My parents went gaga over their crepes. I had the vichyssoise (potato and leak) soup that was one of his specials that day so I went gaga over that. Then I had a desert crepe. Speaking as someone who usually isn't particularly fond of crepes, this was freaking delicious. I don't think it's physically possible for this man to cook something that doesn't make your mouth die and go to heaven.
Like I said, this probably isn't something your bank account would appreciate doing on a daily basis. However, considering the quality (and quantity!) of what you get, it's well worth the money. The price is also noticeably lower than that of other fondue restaurants we've looked at in the past.
Go, enjoy, stuff yourselves silly and then keep eating because it's just so damn good. The only possible way you could manage to not enjoy yourself here is an extreme case of lactose intolerance.

3 Thank Gwen S
Montreal, Canada
“total disapointment”
Reviewed July 12, 2014

Without any doubt, by far, the worst raclette and fondue de ever had. Even the kids would not eat it.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Jack D
Boston, Massachusetts
“Best restaurant in Stowe”
Reviewed July 10, 2014

My family and I have been coming to Stowe for 30 years and have seen many restaurants come and go over that time. We had become especially big fans of Swiss Pot and were incredibly disappointed to see it go away a couple of years ago. We were incredibly pleasantly surprised this year to discover this restaurant as a new place to get a fondue/raclette fix. My family and I started with the raclette (excellent) and enjoyed both the cheese and beef fondues (both excellent as well). Met Heinz… very personable and clearly deep experience in fondue… we're talking a "Heinz dreams of Fondue" grade of excellence. Looking forward to visiting this place again before our vaca is over and again next year! One thing I'd like to see down the road? Maybe some rosti and farmer's sausage additions would be fantastic. But it's also great just the way it is.

2 Thank W M