“This is a fantastic little gem.”

Swiss Fondue Restaurant
Ranked #29 of 102 Restaurants in Stowe
Cuisines: Swiss
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed June 20, 2014 via mobile

This is an amazing, quaint, place on the edge of Stowe. I was pleasantly surprised. The decor is surpassed only by the wonderful food. The owner Heinz greeted us at the door and visited our table as we were eating. You could tell he has a love of cooking and pleasing his customers.

3  Thank charlenesuemoore
There are newer reviews for Swiss Fondue Restaurant

Reviewed June 19, 2014

My husband and I had a lovely meal at this charming restaurant. The atmosphere was warm and cozy and reflected a love for the chef's homeland. We were greated at the door by Heinz who showed great interest in discussing his food with us. We ordered two appetizers, and a cheese fondue, each of which were delicious. The chef mentioned that he had some vichyssoise left from the lunch menu which we ordered and my husband, who had never had the dish before, thoroughly enjoyed it! The highlight of the evening, for me especially, was the chocolate fondue for dessert. It was a lovely evening, and the cost at slightly over one hundred dollars including tax and a 20% gratuity was not unreasonable. We will definitely be back, next time for the lunch menu when Heinz serves crepes.

Reviewed June 15, 2014

I'm really a fan of Swiss fondues and raclette. Restaurants of this type are not common in North America, I only know a couple in Montreal, one in Quebec CIty. But in Stowe, VT??? We were pleasantly surprised by the service, the food quality and the atmosphere of Heinz's restaurant.
I had a cheese fondue and my wife had the raclette. I hadn't had such a good fondue since I was in the Valais region of Switzerland a couple of years ago. The wine list was not too long, but whatever was offered had been carefully selected as to offer a very adequate range of vintages for all tastes. Bravo, Mr Heinz.

1  Thank Dan5701
Reviewed June 8, 2014

Had a wonderful lunch today at Heinz's place, and he is a warm and charming host. Everything we ate was delicious, from the authentic vichyssoise to the tenderloin or shrimp crepes, to the strawberry rhubarb dessert crepe. (reminiscent of an earlier time eating pie in early summer.) The coffee was excellent too! We were a large party to serve, but it was done as efficiently as possible and with a smile! I will be happy to return again soon and try some of the other offerings on the menu. Thank you for a lovely luncheon!

1  Thank swtpeony
Reviewed June 5, 2014

One of the pleasant experiences in the course of a busy life is to take time out for a delicious lunch in a quiet place with good company and a knowledgeable host. As former Boston restaurateurs who have been living 20 minutes from Stowe for years now, we can be picky, but we are always on the lookout for such a spot and are delighted to have found one in the Swiss Fondue.

There are few restaurants open for lunch in this area that don't concentrate almost exclusively on burgers and salads, often to the accompaniment of such loud music that we can’t have a meaningful conversation. Heinz’s Swiss Fondue is small and quiet, with unobtrusive Alpine music in the background, simply decorated with copper pots, wooden skis, and weathered tools once used by farmers. Most remarkably, it has true character which is reminiscent of Stowe in the days before skiing became big business.

Its owner, Heinz, has chosen a limited menu that expresses his determination to control every aspect of the food so that it is consistently presented the way he believes it should be. Offerings will be expanded from time to time by “creations of the day” as Heinz feels inspired by seasons and ingredients. As far as I can tell, he is there whenever the restaurant is open, and does most of the cooking himself. When he has a free moment he comes out to greet the customers, and listens with interest to their ideas and impressions. From the way he and his customers greet each other, it seems that many feel at home there.

We usually eat by our pond on spring and summer nights, so we have not yet had dinner at the Swiss Fondue, but we have been there four times for lunch in the couple of months since we first tried it, and each visit has confirmed our appreciation of the place, and our plan to return as soon as possible. The lunch menu consists almost entirely of crepes, with a variety of fondues also available although they are officially part of the dinner menu.

So far we have not been able to resist starting with the Swiss Buendnerfleisch, paper-thin slices of air-dried beef served with cornichons and tiny pickled onions and dusted with black pepper. Set between the two of us, it is a generous serving, but somehow it is gone before we know it, leaving only the last slice to offer to each other.

The first time we went, we tried the restaurant’s signature Swiss fondue. It was rich and subtle, with the flavors of carefully chosen cheeses beautifully interacting. As one reviewer mentioned, we did have a bit of trouble maintaining the flame underneath, but the gentle temperature it sustains is one of Heinz’s choices in preference to a hotter flame that can harden the cheese too fast.

At subsequent lunches we have indulged in the crepes. A large and delicate pancake folded around whichever of the luscious fillings I choose, with a small salad garnish nestled beside it, is the perfect lunch for me. So far my favorite is the St Tropez (but I am determined to try the shrimp next time), and my husband’s is a vegetarian combination. The wine list is limited but well chosen, and my husband has greatly enjoyed the Bavarian beers. I think one or two dessert crepes are listed on the menu, as well as a chocolate fondue, but Heinz has usually had something special to offer us - bananas Foster, or a fresh strawberry extravaganza, for example - which we have always shared and found light and delicious. Somewhat to my regret, there is no espresso option at this point, but Heinz may reconsider if he gets more inquiries about it.

If you are looking for a large menu, pounding music and prefab surroundings, this is not the restaurant for you. It is a place for individuals who like to think, talk and enjoy their food, and take part in a savory tradition.

1  Thank Dorothy K