“Surprisingly good!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Delibakery at Trapp Family Lodge - CLOSED

The Delibakery at Trapp Family Lodge
Cuisines: American, Bar, Austrian
Good for: Scenic view, Dining on a budget, Families with children, Kids, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Plattsburgh, NY
“Surprisingly good!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2008

OK, this couple and I were on a foliage trip near our bases in Burlington and across the lake in NY but as we got to Jeffersonville on a crisp, clear Sunday in late Oct. fact was the foliage was past it's peak in this part of VT so we decided to go up through Smuggler's Notch--always interesting--and see what Stowe had to offer.
They had been to several Mozart-series concerts at Trapp Family Lodge but I had never been there so we detoured slightly off the Mt. Road to take a look. I was impressed by the size of the place and as we turned around saw the Austrian Tea Room and the Bakery below it so stopped for some baked goods. A nice view and hunger awareness=decision to have lunch there as well.
Our expectations were realistic: a touristy-type restaurant at a big tourist stop in Stowe; we didn't set our sights too high. If the food was decent we'd be satisfied. It took a short wait to get seated in the room-with-a-view---and the view, complete with grazing cows offset by mountain ridges, is terrific--and as we checked the menu the Austrian music being piped in seemed a bit schmaltzy.
Judging from some of the reviews posted here some people haven't had a very good experience. But for us the service was friendly and competent, and most of all, the food was excellent.
I had the special, chicken a la king, my friends had the sausage combo with sauerkraut and warm potato salad and a reuben sandwich respectively and all three items were, frankly, much better than we'd expected. My only quibble is that it would have been a nice touch to have some bread or rolls with the meal.
We didn't have dessert because we'd stocked up on delicious pastries from the bakery before we came in for lunch.
We all agreed we wanted to come back; I'd suggest a clear day as the sumptuous view adds to the experience.

2 Thank bukster

Boston, Massachusetts
“Great view but don't go out of your way for the dining experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2008

On a summer Sunday afternoon, we decided to try the Trapp Family Lodge for an al fresco lunch with a view at the Austrian Tea Room.

My husband's comment as we left said it all: the view was magnificent, the food was nothing out of the ordinary and the service was simply lousy.

We waited for a table outside. We waited to have our order taken. We did not get what we had ordered and had to stand up to go look for our waiter to have it set to rights. We then had to wait and wait and wait for the bill to brought to us.

1 Thank Peregrina651
Florida
“Very reasonable prices!!! Fantastic Food!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2005

I stayed here for a week and ate lunch and early dinner at the Austrian Tea Room multiple times. The food (Austrian Cuisine) in the Tea Room is excellent. The food consists of salads, sandwiches and my favorite the Austrian Wursts (sausages). The prices are extremely reasonable. If you eat up at the main lodge, you will pay double. The Tea Room is a casual atmosphere. I ate an early dinner a couple of times in the late afternoon. I can't quite remember what time they close for the day, but it was some time between 5PM - 6PM. It is a smaller menu, but they had a choice of 10 or more selections, with deserts. They also had wine and beer. During the summer, they open up the sundeck for additional seating. I was very impressed with this place.

7 Thank skpr77
“Excellent baked goods....but pricey”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2005

The Austrian Tea Room is a midst the TFL weekly time share cabins offered to the public. It is next to the public laundry facilities offered to the hotel & T/S guests. The new bldgs noted in the old Apple orchard will be more timeshare (intervals) but 1/4 share ownerships, and will have self contained laundry in the 3 to 4 bed 3 bath lock out units.

The Tea Room offers a great selection of baked goods, cakes, and other sweets, along with some luncheon selections. Everything we tried was very good to excellent. The tables over look the valley and hills toward downtown Stowe.

I would agree about pricing....I think TFL Management needs to look hard on what they think is fair pricing. (But I feel this way about Ruth Chris, Mortons & so on....but they still get the price-but quality is also good)

4 Thank KenK
Bucharest
“No Austrian (great) quality or atmosphere ...”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2005

Bad food!
Service was ok, average.
A 15% gratuity will be automacally added to your bill.
However, 'additional gratuity is being 'asked'.
Not worth the trip to this area which will soon be 'residential'
(a few condo buildings will be built).

5 Thank vladantonescu