“Great brunch”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed August 8, 2013

This is a great place to go for breakfast. Food is excellent, and they have a nice porch. I had eggs, bacon, etc. and it was very yummy. They serve good coffee, too.

Reviewed August 3, 2013

We stopped around 9:45 to have breakfast today. Being a Saturday, I was not surprised that we had to wait. I was surprised that we had to wait to be acknowledged. I had stopped a server (who walked by us twice without speaking) to ask if we needed to wait to be seated. She gave me a curt "yes" and moved on. We were passed by a different server who also ignored us. After a few minutes an older woman came up to us and just stood there looking at us while my daughters prattled away, apparently too polite to interrupt to explain that she was the long lost hostess/manager/maybe owner. So I asked her if she would be able to seat us, to which she replied that she would, but they were very busy, and two of her tables outside were unusable because of heavy rains the night before. Silence. Is the empty table on the porch reserved? Yes. I asked how long approximately would we have to wait (riveting, isn't it?). Fifteen to 20 minutes. Ok, we'll wait. She did bring us a pot of coffee to drink in the parlor (finally a point in the "positive" column). So over the next 25 minutes or so, she proceeds to seat three different parties who walked up because they had stayed there at the inn and their breakfast was included in the price of their stay. I understand seating the first party if they had a table reserved, but the second two parties? Either they should have reserved a table or have to wait along with other paying customers (or be served in another area altogether). Don't tease hungry people (who are not "morning" people) by slowly clearing and resetting a vacated table and then handing it to the next party who saunters down stairs past us. Plus, there were empty tables inside the restaurant. A couple of those should have been used to make up for the 2 four-tops outside that weren't usable. Anyway, I realized that I would rather have a mediocre meal at a place that is welcoming and tries to be accommodating, than have a fabulous meal where one is treated as an inconvenience. We left and went to the Dutch Pancake Cafe (which was very tasty!).

2  Thank elizabeth c
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We have been coming to Stowe for 25 years and it had been quite a number of years since we did Breakfast at the Gables. The place was looking a little beat up. The food was pretty good, but not exceptional. The outdoor dining on the porch is very pleasant. The staff was very friendly. A nice place for breakfast, but not one we're likely to visit again, just because there are other wonderful places to eat in the area.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

WE have eatne here many tmies and each time has been great. The Gables breakfast is hearty and filling and the service is very attentive w/o being intrusive.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

Our family of four had breakfast at the Gables inn early July. We frequent stowe quite often and decided to try this restaurant. It's a very "cute" spot and the outdoor patio is great. There was only 1 waitress working while another lady worked at clearing the tables and seating patron. Although it wasn't too busy when we arrived, it took about 15-20 min to get our table while it was being cleared/cleaned. We were completely fine with the wait and sat in the inns living room to wait. After we were seated, if my husband wasn't so hungry he would have got up to leave. The table was so sticky with syrop that you couldn't put you hands down. His newspaper even stuck to it. Coffee was weak and our meals were mediocre. We've definitely had better at other locations in Stowe. The pancakes seemed dry. Everything else was just O.K.
Staff was very pleasant. Location is nice but we won't return.

2  Thank cmact

Been to Gables Inn? Share your experiences!