“great food; variable service”
Review of Emily's at Stowehof Resort - CLOSED

Emily's at Stowehof Resort
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed February 18, 2012

We decided to go to Emily's because we wanted to try a new restaurant for us. And we had read online about the 2 for 59.99 special on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursdays (2 entrees and a bottle of wine). I wanted to try their lamb as well, after reading a review on this site.
Okay, let's begin at the beginning. The host was aloof and sarcastic. As he was about to seat us by a door, I asked him if the door would be opening and closing. "it opens and closes (pause), not while you're sitting there." He seemed like a real wise guy. At first, I feared our waiter was pretty aloof, but he warmed up okay. When we were first seated he came to ask if we wanted a cocktail. After telling him no, we were taking advantage of the special with a bottle of wine, he disappeared for a full 15 minutes!!! Was he discouraged or something? Anyway, when he did come back, he was appropriately friendly and attentive, and the food came at good intervals. We had plenty of time to enjoy the bread and some wine before our appetizers came, and plenty of time to enjoy appetizers before the entree.
Overall the atmosphere speaks "fine dining", but there's a bit of coldness to the place--not temperature wise; just not a sense of welcoming. We arrived at 6pm and left at 8pm and there were only 2 other groups with children--possibly folks staying at the inn.
The wine was a VERY good chardonnay, and the waiter was very knowledgeable in advising us about the wines. The bread was unique in that it tasted like there was no salt in the dough. I really liked that, although my spouse was less enthusastic. The dressing on the salad was an exquisite balsamic mixture. The tomato and basil soup was very good--my spouse got that and loved it. I thought it was a bit thick.
Menu items are few, but varied, including chicken, steak, salmon, lamb.
The lamb came on a bed of lamb stew. Different, but tasty. I would have preferred a full rack rather than half a rack with lamb stew, but it was good. The waiter was appropriately concerned that the lamb came "rare" instead of "medium rare" that I had ordered. I was impressed with that level of attention. My spouse got the NY sirloin, which was very good. BTW, lamb and filet are included on the special, but for an addition $8.
We did not get dessert because of how full we were--portions are very good. The coffee tasted like it had sat in the pot for awhile.
I'd recommend this place if you want to try their special. They also had a special of a fixed price for appetizer, entree, and dessert ($37? or so)--again, lamb and filet extra.
We probably won't return because there are other restaurants we like better in Stowe

Reviewed January 6, 2012

Fondue dinner was just plain Ok.

My wife ordered duck breast, and received 2 duck leg quarters instead. When asked the waiter responded that she did not know that they were out of duck breasts that evening...

Would not come back.

Reviewed September 13, 2011

I have eaten at Emily's many, many times over the years. Recently, I took a client there for dinner. We had a seat at the windows, overlooking the meadow, with a view of the mountains. It was really nice.

The menu had a nice range of food on it (beef, poultry, vegetarian). We both chose the duck, and it was terrific. Duck can be a gamble, but I had confidence it would be very good, and they didn't disappoint. They also had an excellent wine list.

The service was absolutely outstanding. Everything was timed nicely.

I am looking for an excuse to go back to Stowehof soon.

Reviewed September 11, 2011

We went there for the fondue, and I'm still raving about it! I've had plenty of fondues in my life, in Europe and in cheese-mad Quebec, and this ranks way up there! They use a local, strong Cheddar in their mix and, while a bit surprising at first, it was amazing!

So they're good... and they know it. We're a small family, with children aged 4 and 5. Kids are well-behaved, but they sure didn't feel welcome. Glad we went early. Service made us feel like we were bothering them.

We had an enjoyable dinner, despite the indifferent staff. The food won us over.

1  Thank bucheron
Reviewed March 4, 2011

We were attracted to Emily's by their advertisement for cheese fondue, and we were not disappointed! The fondue was INCREDIBLE! (Some of the best I've EVER had and I lived in Europe for a bit) I also enjoyed the Winter Salad (a lovely blend of fresh greens, apples, walnuts, cheddar and a vinagrette). My boyfriend had the roast duck with blue berry sauce, and it was delicious. The food was very well presented (too many American restaurants neglect presentation). It was superb, and for dessert we shared the maple creme brulee, and the Bailey's cheese cake. The food was delicious, but the atmosphere was slighty hoity toighty, but not too oppressive. We enjoyed a table right beside the fire, which on a cold winter night after a day of snowmobiling, was perfect! The meal was a bit pricey, but worth every penny!