“House specialty all the way!!”
Review of Vermont ale house - CLOSED

Vermont ale house
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night
Description: A craft beer bar and restaurant located in the heart of Stowe, Vermont. Featuring 26 rotating draft beers from Vermont, the US and abroad.Our menu consists of 6-8 pub fare items which keeps the focus on quality and freshness. Our small menu allows us to explore creative specials that go hand in hand with seasonal local ingredients.
Western MA
“House specialty all the way!!”
Reviewed February 23, 2014

We stopped on a Saturday 4pm just before the slopes closed and the crowds flood in. We were hungry but didn't want something that would break the bank but tasted good. This is an easy pass by if your not looking, there is parking in the rear, but not easily noticed from the street. We all had the house specialty which is a roast beef sandwich served with a fabulous creamed horseradish sauce, and au jus on the side. $12 and worth every penny! The service was friendly, fast and attentive (before the crowds). Not a fan of beef, but there was little other protein choices available that could compare to value. If you are in Stowe, coming off the slopes just before the center of town on the left, take the turn in you won't be sorry. Great casual jeans joint. And did I mention the beer selection? It is an Ale house after all...
Children are allowed, but there is something very wrong with kids in a bar.

1 Thank Lifepart02

CT
“So Sad :(”
Reviewed February 13, 2014

I so badly wanted to love this place! My boyfriend and I had the BEST three night stay in VT and we were excited to go out with a bang on our last night. Staying at the beautiful green mountain inn we were psyched to see that we were walking distance to a place called the Vermont ale house as we loooove great local and craft beers. The reviews on trip advisor sounded great and they advertise a small higher end dinner menu so we thought it would be the perfect way to end our little getaway. Boy were we wrong. From the beginning we were not acknowledged by our waitress who kept walking passed us over and over. I'd understand if it was busy but this was not the case. The bar area did not have that nice cozy feel to it that you look for in a VT Pub, it had a kind of local divey feel. (The empty dining room seemed nicer) Eventually we put in our drink order, both IPA's and the waitress dumps off a black colored beer and takes off before we could say anything. When she came back we told her that it was the wrong beer and she told us they ran out of the one we ordered. Okay??? We asked if we could order a different IPA and she seemed annoyed. Then came the food. Prices were average for the touristy stowe area. The menu was definitely small but that was fine because they had burgers and we've never had a bad burger in VT...Until now. The menu read "Two thin patties with cheese." It should have read "two tiny silver dollar patties on a kid bun." We wanted chicken tenders and they were only on the kids menu so we asked if we could order off that and she complied. I really hope we just had bad luck with that order and people haven't been feeding their children this! It was a breaded fried piece of chicken (breast? thigh? hybrid?) that was then sliced into strips of off color brown fatty creepy meat! We didn't bother saying anything to the waitress because I could tell complaints aren't received well here. (I walked by a table on the way to the restroom that was begging the waitress to split the bill between the four of them and she was having none of it!) I wish I were exaggerating all of this, I've been in the restaurant industry for 12 years and this place was ridiculous. I've never written a bad review before but I don't want anyone else making the mistake of going here and killing what could have been a great dinner out like we did!

1 Thank vtgirl83
Lowell, Massachusetts
“Great time!”
Reviewed February 9, 2014

We came here for originally just drink this past Friday night. We had wanted to watch the Opening Ceremony of the Olympics, and they were playing a snowboarding movie, so we figured we just stay quick before heading back to our hotel room. The bartenders were so friendly and knowledgeable about their beer, and offered samples without asking. When they asked us if we were staying for dinner, we mentioned that we had wanted to watch the Opening Ceremony, and they changed the TVs right away, which we really appreciated. We got wings and a flatbread, both of which were delicious. The food did take a bit to come out, but we were warned that the kitchen was backed up, so there was no surprise there. They had a popcorn machine which we snacked on while waiting.

I really enjoyed the Vermont Ale House, and would definitely eat/drink here again.

1 Thank Mairin C
Queensbury, New York
“Awesome Place to Go!”
Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

The Vermont Ale House was pretty packed when we went. All staff were friendly and accommodating. Our meal was excellent. The roast beef sandwich was PERFECT!! The bacon, apple, honey flatbread was excellent too. We will definitely be back when we return to Stowe for our next ski trip.

SINY
“Just about everything went wrong...”
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Was here with a party of 8 skiers on a thursday night, 1 in our party had been here during the summer & said it was they had the best roast pork he's ever eaten. So all of us were ready for it & hungry. First problem, they are out of the roast pork (what they said they are known for!) ! friend tells the waitress, he's real hungry & how was the chilli in a bread bowl...she reccommended that, we order our drinks,apps & meals. I order a french onion soup. Drinks came out (beers,mixed drinks & wine - no problems) I get my soup, just alright & not hot enough. I finish....still no apps (chicken wings, chilli fries)...a long wait follows, she apologizes, my friend said, they better not come out together (main & apps), they do (just the wings at this point) out of the 8 meals, the only one that was good was the fried chcken, my chicken sand was on the dry side & the dipping ause came out 1/2 way done with eating...back to that chilli in a bread bowl, he turned it back...it looked like they used a small scoop (1 ice cream scoop size) of chilli. He complains & lets her know of the other problems we have had, she said she'd comp the apps but as we finish the main meal....the chilli fries finally arrive...just can't get it with how we were treated...off night? But when your out of your staple meal, don't bring apps out first, long wait of food....