“Great Family Restaurant . . . good food and great service!”
Review of Gracie's - CLOSED

Gracie's
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 15, 2013

When we go to Stowe, Gracies is a place we can count on for great family-style food and attentive service. This year we dropped in for an early dinner with our girls and young grandson. Gracies has always had a "dog" theme to the place way back to when they were in the village. Our grandson loved the "puppies" everywhere. The food, as usual didn't disappoint. Lots of great craft beers on draught and the ribs are fabulous. It's a bit of a drive out of the village on the Mountain Rd, but worth taking the trip for a great family restaurant.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

My parents, daughter and myself had dinner her one weekend evening in June. The place was crowded but worth the short 10min wait. Our waiter was very friendly, entertaining, znd very descriptivd of the dishes. He suggested a cold soup for my 7 year old daughter-i was leery of this but lrt her order it. SHE LOVED IT and even asked to take it with us. Price ran about 10 to 25 a person. I believe I had a spinach salad and was most impressed

Reviewed July 6, 2013

The service was as lovely as I'd heard, and we enjoyed the local atmosphere and the casual, homemade food. I'd go back if we visit Stowe again, but I have two important suggestions. Please do something to keep the screen door that goes between the patio and the interior from slamming each time it is opened. We were seated just beside it, but even if we had been seated a bit farther away, we all know what a slammed screen door sounds like, right? By the 12th time, my husband and I were gritting our teeth. All the waitresses seemed to be careful about it...but the owner (I know, because I asked) consistently sailed through it without a by-your-leave, letting it shut very loudly each time (I know, he just doesn't hear it at this point). The other comment, which I hate to have to mention, but someone needs to, is that I smelled urine when I walked in the restaurant to the hostess desk (the bathrooms are right there, too). I thought I might be imagining it (and I never went to the bathroom, so I don't know what shape it was in), but when we left and walked back by the same spot, I smelled it again. Sorry to have to say so, but if it were my restaurant, I would want to know. Other than those things, we had a lovely time.

paul a, Owner at Gracie's, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

ETT1959; Thankyou for your comments about your visit to Gracie's. We are glad you enjoyed the service and meals.
I am embgarassed to admit I didn't even hear the door anymore. I did have your waitress mention it to me that night and I do have our carpenters working on it. Because of the door frame etc we can not just install a piston door closer to close slowly. Our carpenters assure me they can fix it though.
The odor by the front door has me puzzled. I personally clean the bathrooms every day. I have left restaurants because of dirty bathrooms, so I take this very seriously. I have a friend who writes maintenance and cleaning manuals for major chains and resorts. I have consulted him about changing my daily regimen for better results. Rest assured this is very important to me.
I am glad you enjoyed the major parts of our restaurant and am glad you mentioned you would return.
thanks for your input. we look forward to seeing you again,.
Archie

Reviewed July 5, 2013

Just stopped by for dessert and coffee and had the best rhubarb/strawberry pie ever. Charming place, friendly owners with good service and nice outdoor patio.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

This is such a wonderful restaurant! I always try to come twice on a trip. The food is wonderful (traditional American) and the servers and owner are always so kind. My kids love the dog motif.