“GOOD FOOD, NICE PEOPLE”

Bistro at Ten Acres
Reserve with OpenTable
Bistro at Ten Acres is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 101 Restaurants in Stowe
Cuisines: American, European
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Luce Hill Road
Sun City West, AZ
“GOOD FOOD, NICE PEOPLE”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Found the Bistro on TripAdvisor and Yelp, and after reading all the positive reviews, knew we had to see for ourselves. We were not disappointed. We arrived right at opening and elected to sit at the bar and eat where we could talk to the bartender, who happened to be the owner, Mark. He and his Scottish wife, Linda, were warm and friendly and we had a lot of interesting conversation. George had the Fried Shrimp and I the Lemon Chicken. Both were excellent and ample portions. We regret we were unable to spare room for what was an excellent selection of desserts.

Morristown, Vermont, United States
“Needs Improvement”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I really wanted to like this place and I had heard some good feedback. We had some drinks in the bar area before dinner and we were a group of 8 or so people. The waiter who took our order had no idea who ordered which drink. He also came back with 3 drinks no one had ordered and 2 drinks were missing altogether. Not a big deal, mistakes happen. I asked which "Lost Nation" beer they had on tap and he started telling me it was a local craft brewery. Well I'm a local too and clearly knew of it since I mentioned the brewery by name. Then he continued to talk about VT beer and what else they had that was local. I realize this is a tourist destination, but even tourists don't need a 5 minute response to a simple question. On to dinner. I had the steak frites which you would think is a staple for a bistro. The menu mentioned there was a tapenade on top. I think of that as a sort of olive paste that might be spread on a cracker or in this case a steak. Well the steak came with a pile of whole olives and tomatoes and who knows what else. I enjoy this meal for its simplicity and to taste the quality of a good cut of meat... unfortunately it seemed to get lost with the extras for me. The temperature of the meat was perfect so full credit for that. The owners seemed very nice and genuinely caring. The overall service was a bit slow, but the restaurant was busy. I will probably give them another shot, maybe in the off season when they won't assume I'm a tourist. If you only have one night to eat out in this area there are plenty of better options. I'm not sure how this became #2 in Stowe... I guess they are impressing some guests.

4 Thank VailtoVermont
Wollongong, Australia
“Great dinner, even greater people at Ten Acres”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

My wife, 2 daughters and I recently visited from Australia and stayed in one of the cabins for a few days. We had dinner in the restaurant and we were impressed. Mark and Linda made us feel like family, and Gary performs magic in the kitchen. The duck was a treat and the pork shank fell off the bone, he's a gun. After dinner the bar is a chilled out cool place to unwind, I enjoyed a couple of drinks there, thanks again Ten Acres you have done a great job.

• Visited September 2013
Northbridge, Massachusetts
“Lovely dining experience!”
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Went on a lark without a reservation in July and couldn't get in so made a reservation and returned in September. Loved this place as Ten Acre Lodge and happy to see new owners staying true to roots with Ten Acre Bistro naming. Food was excellent, service very good. Owner came around and greeted diners without being obnoxious. Vibe is warm, friendly, casual, yet upscale. Good views if you're near a window and it's not dark out.

Our food incorporated some ingredients that were new to us that we joyed trying. Overall, I'd say the chef needs to think about allowing flavors to meld and develop a bit more. I'd also like to see at least one heart healthy entry that includes a protein. Most everything was seafood or red meats or included cheese, cream, etc. I liked their pineapple salad but I can only eat that so many times and it would be great to have a hot option that was more than a salad (chicken with veggies, a risotto, perhaps?)

• Visited September 2013
Jamesburg
“Worth a visit”
Reviewed October 5, 2013

Not sure why this place is only #2 restaurant in Stowe as of October 2013.

I really enjoyed the meal here. Actually I should say meals. The portion size was huge. More than I could eat in a sitting.

There were so many choices on the menu I really couldn't decide and had to ask my server for a recommendation. She recommended the pork shank as the house speciality. I went with that with a starter of the lamb kefka.

Starting with the lamb it was outstanding. Spicy and flavorful. (too spicy for my wife but perfect for me). The pork shank was tender and moist in a fantastic home made barbecue sauce. My wife had the vegetable pasta special which was also delicious but slightly heavy on the garlic.

Save room for dessert. So, so, so many choices. I eventually settled on the lime pannacotta. A wonderful choice if I do say so myself.

Other reviews I've read noted an excellent scotch selection. While I found it ok, it wasn't anything outstanding better than most, but pretty standard with Oban, Macallan Glenmorangie and Highland Springs.

If you do decide to eat here I recommend making a reservation make it well in advance and ask to sit in the library. The room is beautiful with wide plank pine flooring a fireplace and the best views.

Dress here is casual, jeans etc are fine.

Pros:
- Great views
- Friendly owners
- Great food
- Reasonable prices

Cons:
- Our server was just ok. She disappeared for extended periods of time. I think they had three servers with stations in the library. I'd recommend having just one with that station to keep them more visible.
- Our server also didn't mention it was possible to add chicken or shrimp to the pasta special, the server for the next table over did and my wife was able to add that to her dish.
- Portions are too large. I prefer slightly smaller portions.

Overall a wonderful experience.

• Visited October 2013
4 Thank Chris M