“not very nice”

Ranked #16 of 24 Hotels in Stowe
Fareham, United Kingdom
“not very nice”
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Stayed here as part of my travelsphere holiday and was very disappointed rooms very un clean and very thin walls. Was the worst motel i've stayed in in states.
restaurant very expensive 90 dollars for meal for 2 with a starter to share and one drink each total rip off. was laughed at by staff and food was awful. Was sick in Morning and so where other people in trip not good at all. Rooms very cold and heating not working. Dindnt hsave breakfast thank good as other said very poor and cold food.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank eiluj_12
skinutstowe, General Manager at Town & Country Resort Motor Inn, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
I am sorry you were disappointed with our property. If the heat was not working properly in your room please let us know and we will make it right. Sometimes its as simple as adjusting the thermostat on the wall. I am a bit offended by your comments regarding our restaurant. Our customers are generally very pleased with our food quality and service! Our prices are quite reasonable in comparison to other restaurants in the area. Most entrees are priced under $20 and include a salad, which is hard to find anywhere nowadays. I think it is far from a "rip off" as you refer to and also find it quite hard to believe that people were ill from our food. We have never once had a problem with this in all of our years in business! Our breakfast for the Travelspere groups is cooked fresh every morning and served buffet style in order to keep the groups on a tight schedule. It includes Fresh Fruit, Juices, Scrambled Eggs, Pancakes, Home Fried Potatoes, Bacon, Sausage, Toast, Hot and Cold Cereals, Coffee and Tea. I personally eat it often and somtimes even cook breakfast and it is quite tasty!

We have been hosting customers from Travelsphere for many years and I personally meet and greet most every bus. I have spoken with many of the guests and many tell me what a great stay they had here and wish they could stay longer.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I've stayed at this resort many times. Year after year, I find the premises so clean that it seems that room service was just there. It's cozy and has a great location just up the hill from the center of town and close to restaurants on the same road. The pub brings me back to my ski days.....although it's not open July & August. The owner and staff are super friendly and welcoming, and there is a fantastic full sit down breakfast included in our package. They also have
room for large parties, weddings, groups, etc. Highly recommend!! The only con I can think of is that the mattresses are a bit worn, so I used the extra blanket folded and placed under the sheet which gave me a good night sleep.

Room Tip: I always stay in the front motel section which faces the road a short distance away, but one can ask...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
New Hampshire
Reviewed September 5, 2013

My family of 8 were able to secure the "cottage" at the last minute on 8/24 & 8/25. The cottage was set in the back of the property overlooking a nice pond & waterfall. There was direct access to the rec path as well.

Appears that the cottage may not have been used for a while because when we first opened the door, a strong old/musty smell greeted us. Once in, we opened the windows/doors & the smell was gone. The cottage was older (wall paper, exposed post/beams, built in drawers in the bedrooms) but very well kept. The kitchen was well stocked with everyday cooking essentials.
2 Bedrooms & a Full bath were upstairs & 2 bedrooms & a full bathroom downstairs. Living room, large dining room & small kitchen area served us all comfortably.

There was a nice patio with a patio set & 2 BBQ grills for our use. The indoor pool was warm & clean. The outdoor pool was cold but clean. Nice to just relax by & take in some sun.

The staff was very nice - overall property was well kept - my only complaint....cob webs throughout the cottage!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Busdriver19
Marblehead, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 31, 2013

My husband and I, along with our two children, stayed at the Town and Country for three nights, August 25 - 27. We had a wonderful stay, we stayed in room 47, which was large, clean, and overlooked the pond and beautiful countryside. The staff was warm and welcoming upon arrival and continued to be helpful throughout our stay. We enjoyed a daily, delicious continental breakfast. Our children, 8 and 10, enjoyed both pools and tennis courts, which were all well maintained. The location near the town recreational path worked well for us as we rented bikes nearby and took advantage of many miles of beautiful countryside. The central location of the Inn made it convenient to both village and mountain. We definitely plan to return as we had fun and it was a good value.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights to see Vermont for the 1st time. The grounds were nice and there was a little river behind the hotel. Front desk was very accommodating when we wanted to change rooms cause at first we were put in a ski lodge room during off season. It was a little musty but then the other room was great. Great location,not far from Ben and Jerry's, which I will also review.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank MAMABEAR919
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We stayed at this Motel on August 24th, for one night. It was a last minute decision to drive from Montreal to Vermont on Saturday morning, so that we made a booking through Hotels.com.
We got to this place that sounded very nice and we were given room 31. I am going to write about our stay in this room only. I do not know if all the rooms in this place are all the same.
I cannot even write in words how bad it was. First of all, the smell, the smell of mold and I do not know what else... were awful. I kept the windows open so that we could breath... Air conditioning was not working and even if it was we do not advise anybody to turn it on because it makes noises that will wake up all the neighborhood. People staying above us tried to turn it on and I can tell you that the walls in our room were trembling and the noise sounded like an airplane engine was running in our room. I imagine that they felt the same because they turned it off very soon.
About our neighbors in the rooms above and beside us... We heard everything, as if the walls were made of carton. This place needs an update really, really badly. Please, throw the dark blue carpet that smells like pee!
I have never experienced something like that in my over 30 year of travels around the world.
I am a travel consultant (and a travel agency owner) and I visited many strange and remote places on this earth. I went to 3rd world countries and slept in hotels that were not even mentioned anywhere in travel guides, travel brochures, sites or reviews. Let me tell you that they were 10 times more civilized than this place and 10 times cleaner and more updated than room 31.
I could not sleep all night because of the smell, even if I took a shirt of mine and covered my nose. My husband had 3 hours of sleep, put together and I dozed on and off for 2 hours.
We did not complain or said anything to the owner because we did not know how to get the H... out of there sooner. Problem was that Stowe was pretty booked up almost everywhere so we had no other choices. Anyway... Stowe is beautiful, weather was perfect and we had the best Strudel at Von Trapp Family Lodge.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Anka B

Travelers are raving about these Stowe hotels

West Sussex, England
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Motel style, good sized rooms, clean and tidy. Owner very friendly, a proper family run hotel. Bar/Restaurant a little subterranean, but OK, food not exactly haute cuisine, but wholesome. Has both indoor and outdoor pools which looked clean & well maintained

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple