All reviewstennis courtscourt buildingindoor poolstayed here for one nighthot tubbike pathupdated roomsbit wornbreakfast stafffree breakfastwinter monthslocation is excellentmusty smellminute drivebeds were comfortablelarge roomrecreation path
Reviewed August 6, 2012

I spent two nights here recently and from the moment I walked into the room I knew this place wasn't going to be up to standard. My biggest complaint is that it wasn't very clean - this place definitely needs updating. The staff seemed friendly and the pool looked good but not enough to make we want to go back - for under $100 there must be better spots in the area.

Room Tip: For a quieter night's sleep ask for a room facing away from the street.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 27, 2012

We stayed there for my son's lacrosse tournament and it was great. It was very conveniently located, close to the fields, Mount Mansfield, and next to the bike path. It was very comfortable, and the proprietors made us feel extremely welcome. We definitely plan on going back.

Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank wt22
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I must say I was somewhat disappointed in the quality of this hotel. The rooms need to be seriously updated. The bed was uncomfortable, it sagged in the middle. The carpet was...well let's just say I kept my shoes on at all times! I had two spiders trying to take a shower with me one morning. The room also did not smell very good. However, the breakfast that was included was pretty good and the hotel was centrally located in Stowe. The pools looked like they were maintained. Overall though it was just average.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank lastnoel65
Reviewed July 8, 2012

I was in Stowe for three nights with some friends as part of a road trip through New England and Canada. We stayed at the Town and Country “resort” Motor Inn and wish we had made another choice.

The Good: This area of the country is gorgeous. Rolling hills, babbling brooks, lush beautiful landscapes. Everything we had hoped for and more. We loved the area. The land the motel sits on is also pretty, and backs up to a lake. We saw deer, woodchucks and other wildlife right outside our door. There are indoor and outdoor pools but we didn’t use them since we were here to sightsee; not hang out by a pool. There was also a hot tub and a sauna but they were locked up tight and apparently not available for use.

The Bad: The property itself. I was encouraged because the majority of the reviews on Trip Advisor are positive. Unfortunately, this review is not at all positive. When we checked in, we went to the office and actually had to clear and throats and say something to get the man working the desk to even acknowledge us. Even when he greeted us, he didn’t look away from what he was doing (must have been very important!). Actually, that happened every time we saw him. He wasn’t rude; just dismissive and seemed like he always had something more important to do than deal with the “pesky guests”. Anyway, he gave us a room around the back of the motel (number 41), near the main entrance to the restaurant. By the way, we inquired about the restaurant for dinner and were told it was closed to guests because a local group booked the place every Thursday night. We had to go off-property to eat (after over 12 hours of travelling). Also, despite the fact that the restaurant had advertised evening hours, they never opened for dinner while we were there. The motel seemed to be full (they told our friend she got the “last room”), so there would have been business to patronize the restaurant. The breakfast was only free if you purchased a “package”. When I saw the restaurant, I realized that it, too, looked dated and run-down.

Now about the room. Oh, my. It looked as if it hadn’t been used for months. It smelled horribly musty and stale. Turning on the very noisy AC unit didn’t help. We went out the second day to buy some Lysol and a scented candle. The furniture and bathroom fixtures were covered with dust and the corners of the room (behind the night stand and around the bathroom sink) were absolutely filthy. If you doubt this, see the pictures I have attached. There were dents and stains on the walls and the circa 1982 furniture was in bad shape. I placed towels on the chairs because they were so dirty and stained. And I didn’t even dare walk barefoot on the scary green carpet. I realize the area is somewhat rural but having to kill spiders on a daily basis was no fun. The bed was comfortable enough but it was hard to fall asleep because the AC unit was so loud. The bathroom was tiny but thankfully had plenty of hot water. The water pressure in the shower was very low and the shower head could not be adjusted. I am over six feet tall and had to crouch down very low just to be able to rinse off. One of the lamps had a burned-out light bulb, so I had to trudge back up to the office and ask the front desk for a replacement. The attendant fished one out of a closet. When we entered the room, the clock radio was flashing 6:00 AM (too much trouble for housekeeping to set it?), so we just unplugged it and used our cell phone for an alarm clock. One of the reviews said the room had a flat screen TV and a fridge. This one had neither. There was no fridge and The TV was an old, bulky model, probably about 20 years old. The internet is a joke. They advertise “free high speed WiFi throughout the property” but my signal never lasted for more than 10 or 15 minutes. I would then have to go back on and reboot the wireless internet. On the second morning of our stay, I could not connect at all. I called the front desk at around 7 AM to see if someone could reset it, but no one ever answered the phone. They might as well have a corded Ethernet system since the wireless is so lousy. I would have posted this review from the motel if the internet had actually worked. I also found it ironic (and very telling) that the envelope provided for the housekeeper tip was wrinkled and had what appeared to be coffee stains on it.

I joined our travelling companion for breakfast on our last day here (she paid for “the package”) and got some insight as to the current state of the property. One of the women working in the restaurant may have been one of the owners because she said, “after 37 years, we are getting tired.” She went on to admit that they were looking for someone to buy the place. If the goal is to sell, then I certainly understand not investing a lot of money in new furniture and supplies. But that does not excuse a total lack of cleanliness, especially in the rooms where the guests sleep. We do not require anything fancy; just a clean, quiet environment. I will admit it was quiet here (except for the guest above us who stomped across the floor all night, every night). For now, however, I cannot recommend this place.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on an upper floor. If you are downstairs, you are essentially in a basement and hear stomping from the rooms above you.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank timbolester
Management response:Responded July 12, 2012

First off, I would like to apologize for your disatisfaction with your accommodations here at our property. I will also mention I was here throughout your entire stay and heard not a peep about any of your complaints. I always try to ask guests how their stay is and if they are having a good time. I was not working when you arrived but was here on both Friday and Saturday of your stay, as well as your travelling partner who also wrote a negative review. I will admit the room is not in perfect condition with the scuff mark on the bedside table, however a few of your comments are not exactly fair. The water pressure is very strong at our property as we are on town water and it is set up to 50 lbs of pressure, this was probably a setting on the faucet, there is a little lever which goes from shower to tub and it just needs to be set all the way to shower for full pressure. If you had mentioned this we could have explained this immediately to you. The internet was experiencing some issues over your stay and it has been corrected, however I think it was only one evening and not your whole stay as mentioned, the hotspot in the area of that room was brand new and replaced a few weeks prior to your stay and we are not sure why it needed to be reset, but this does happen on occasion when many people are working at the same time on the interent unfortunately. We strive to keep the wifi up and working on a constant basis(free of charge I might add) but it becomes more and more challenging with increases in technology and more bandwidth being consumed daily by more guests, smartphones, ipads, etc... As for your photos, yes it does happen at times that behind the bedside table there is some dust on top of the phone jacks, which are only 2 inches across, but in your photo look to be about 6 inches. the photo of the trim board is a knot in the wood bleading thru, I apologize for this, but it happens with real wood trim, this is not a "stain" or "smudge" which you seem to be implying.
Finally, yes we do have a dining room and pub on property, but we no longer serve dinner in the summer time, we did do this for many years, but with the number of restaurants available in the Stowe area it was a management decision to no longer operate it at certain times of the season. I am sorry if you thought it was open when you were here, but we do clearly state this on our information. It was not closed for the Rotary club on Thursday evening, but rather the pub was open on Thursday for this reason, and we serve them dinner weekly at this time.
Sounds like you did meet with my mother in the restaurant and yes we have been operating this business since 1975 , In this time we have hosted thousands of guests and enjoy it and the satisfaction that most of our guests experience. We realize that times have changed and we attempt to keep our property up to date as best as possible. We also admit that we are not a 4 diamond property and are priced accordingly, there are several 4 and even 5 diamond properties in the area for people looking for this, rather we attempt to be a comfortable, affordable property, with a choice of amenities for our guests to enjoy.

Reviewed June 24, 2012

We just dropped by on our roadtrip through New England. Stowe is loaded with European style 'pseudo-Alp-chalets/hotels', but as we are in the US, we (a couple from Holland) like the standard, typical one-floor American motels. So we stopped at the Town & country Motor Inn. This pretty motel is nicely located and seemed very quiet to us, hardly any other visitors (which can be a bad sign). However, the manager was very friendly and the price was right, so we said yes. We had no regrets at all. A nice and spacy room, clean and very complete. Outside there were beautiful birds and groundsquirels. A large pool (a bit cold in june), but there was a heated indoor pool too, and a tub. A tenniscourt, restaurant, just great. Everything well kept. Behind this motelcomplex is a pretty foot-, jogging- and bicyclepath that brings you to the small centre of Stowe. This Motor Inn proved to be one of the best and most relaxing stops during our US-vacation. I can recommend it to anyone who is looking for a nice, quiet, pretty, affordable, not too fancy, sportive motel, on walking distance from Stowe centre.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple