“Always A Pleasant Experience”

Hob Knob Inn, Bar & Lounge
Ranked #7 of 22 Stowe B&B and Inns
New Hampshire
“Always A Pleasant Experience”
Reviewed February 14, 2005

My husband and I visit Stowe, VT, several times a year. We have enjoyed every season in Stowe, each one spent at the Hob Knob. We have always been given a pleasant room that has been clean and updated with all amenities one could ask for.
We have spent time in the lounge, it is comfortable and warm. The dining room is cozy and inviting and the food is always delicious. They have a wonderful cook!
The Inn keepers, Bob and Barbara Fisher, and their dog are friendly and always willing to please.
We look forward to our next visit in a couple of weeks.

• Stayed February 2005
2 Thank cynthiala03153

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed February 14, 2005

I have been traveling to New England for over 25 years like to stay at different places. A friend suggested the Hob Knob Inn in Stowe and we loved it. I stayed with my wife and 3 and 5-year old boys. What a wonderful place. The inn keepers were above friendly and made us feel right at home. We usually spend more time in our room but found it hard to leave the lobby which was very relaxing, friendly and comfortable. The other guests must have felt the same as we were rarely alone.

The room was very roomy, cozy and everything you could ask for. We had a kitchenette which we needed as my youngest child is a special needs child and we needed to prepare and refrigerate his medicines. The fire place was a great accent and exactly what we wanted at the end of a day of skiing.

Surprisingly the restaurant was equally pleasing, if not better. We expected to eat meals in our room but the food was so delicious and fresh, we spent several nights in the restaurant.

We will definitely return to the Hob Knob.

2 Thank pjpandbp
Reviewed February 13, 2005

The Green Mountains are beautiful in the winter and the Hob Knob Inn is an extraordinary place to view Mt. Mansfield. I have been staying at the Hob Knob Inn for two years in a row and will continue to do so in the years to come. The service is great, the food is excellent, and the villege of Stowe couldn't be more romantic. I love the Hob Knob!

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 3, 2005

I only wish I was making this up! Words cannot describe our experience during a fall visit to the 'Inn', which we booked through the Stowe Reservation line. We received the last room in the inn on a busy and chilly fall weekend, and while it was old and didn't smell so great, the big problem was the heat did not work in the room! As we arrived late at night, and had no other options (the only rooms left in town were $300+/night) we took the manager/owner at his word to fix the heat first thing in the morning, and simply slept in fleece tops with a small, noisy space heater the owner brought into the room as our only heat on a 40 degree night.

The next morning, we noticed that the shower tub was backing up and informed the owner. Upon returning from breakfast, we found a smelly black sludge in our tub, and a truck pumping the septic tank, which happened to be about 20' outside our 1st floor room (his septic tank for half the hotel had backed up). With the stench overwhelming, we left again with promises that the work would be done soon and our bathroom cleaned before we needed it.

We returned later in the day to find the bathroom "cleaned"---with our towels that had been left on the bathroom floor, dirty and smelling of sewage. We had to call twice for that mess to be removed, and, as I was actually in town to be in the the wedding party of a good friend, I was late for the wedding waiting for our bathroom to be cleaned.

AT this point furious but focused on the wedding, I made a point to call the owner from the reception to be certain that the heat was fixed. He replied that it wasn't, but that he was on his way to do it and that we should enjoy ourselves and not worry. You can guess the rest--return late at night to the inn, still no heat, the owner 'unavailable', no room to spare at the inn or in town, etc.

I confronted the owner the next morning and demanded that one of the two nights be free. He offered $50 off a $300+ bill, insisting that he had provided the basic necessities--a room with a bed and a (sometimes) working bathroom.--and that we would be 'stealing' from him if he gave us one night free. I elected to pay the bill in full and took the matter up with the VT better business bureau, the Stowe visitors line, the Mobil travel rating that the Inn displays, and my credit card company. (I can only imagine how many codes he broke by using a space heater in a hotel room and having raw sewage pumped 20' from outside our room!)

The only rooms left in the entire town that weekend were $300/night rooms. The right move would've been for him to move us to another hotel rather than give us a room without heat. Instead, he told us he'd fix the heat, and then was 'unavailable' when we tried to contact him.

I am a small businessman and native Vermonter, so appreciate the pitfalls that can occur and, as such, gritted out a miserable stay (my girlfriend was not as forgiving as me). I thought I was doing the guy a favor by only asking for one of two heatless nights free, and he responded with arrogance and accusations that we were trying to 'steal'. Quite simply, by FAR the worst hotel experience I've ever had, and I would discourage any traveller from staying here--spend the extra money for a better place with management that understands what basic necessities are in a hotel room, and will think of their guest's comfort and safety first should something unforseen occur.

• Stayed October 2003
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 12, 2003

We have been staying at the Hob Knob for years and were a bit concerned when we heard that as of July 2003 there were going to be new owners.
Not to worry, the rooms and service were as good as ever and Bob and Barbara Fisher were very welcoming and made our stay a pleasure. We noticed improvements which have been made to the propertysince we were there last year. The food at the restaurant is still the best we have tasted in the area. Superb steaks and great service! We were not disappointed and recommend you give the Hob Knob a try.

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member