“Fall Oasis”

Ranked #6 of 22 Stowe B&B and Inns
Evergreen, Colorado
“Fall Oasis”
Reviewed October 6, 2007

What a great place! You are close to everything, but feel like you are worlds away. It is so beautiful and very clean. The managers make you feel right at home and make awesome breakfasts!! I did NOT want to leave and would stay there again in a heartbeat. After drivng around the city, I did not see any place I would rather stay than there.

• Liked — Tucked back in with trees, ponds, beautiful scenery.
  • Stayed September 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
New England
Reviewed July 14, 2007

Quaint and Quiet. Not something I would normally be looking for, but that was the first thing about the Hob Knob that changed my mind. Another thing that changed my mind, I thought I had the best steak, but we will get to that. The Hob Knob is set on a beautiful piece of land, with a great rustic building. I started with the French onion soup(Oh that's how it supposed to taste!), tried a few bites of the Spinach salad, fresh, tasty and the poppy seed dressing, different look but amazing flavor. Then the steak, first I do not know how to express what the word steak means to me. I have not enjoy a steak at a restaurant in about 4 years, the reason I found a great butcher and I grill on my Weber(Performer). I been to big name and no name places in Boston, Vegas, New York, and a few other places that claimed they have the best steak, Ha Ha! I grilled for others and ruined their visits to these "other" steak places. "Their" steaks did not compare to mine, but alas I must now relinquish my title of having the best steak to the Hob Knob. I do not take this lightly I came right home and wrote this review. I am long winded I am sorry, but due yourself a favor and visit the Hob Knob Inn & Restaurant. The service just adds to the amazing experience, so go tell all you meet.

Winnipeg, MB
Reviewed July 13, 2007

For the past 35 years, my family and I have never missed a vacation at the Hob Knob Inn in Stowe, VT.

Each year, it has been a wonderful experience! Surrounded by forest and two beautifully landscaped ponds, the inn is tucked quietly away behind the busy main road. The current innkeepers, Barbara and Bob Fisher, and their two dogs, Bella and Stoli, are friendly, welcoming hosts and always there to lend a hand; we look forward to getting together with them every summer.

The inn itself has a fine restaurant open most months of the year, and is also within short walking distance to a country store (Edelweiss). A 10-minute walk from the Hob Knob will take you to the Stowe Recreational Path, which winds picturesquely through the town. The inn also features spacey rooms with kitchenettes, has a swimming pool, and is in close proximity to Mt. Mansfield.

Our visit to Stowe would never be the same if we missed staying at the Hob Knob!

Orange, California
Reviewed August 25, 2006

We recently returned from a two week road trip across New England. We stayed in 8 different properties during that time. Thank you to all the tripadvisor reviews that we read to help us in our planning of the trip!
We very much enjoyed our stay at the Hob Knob Inn in Stowe, Vermont. The furnishings of the inn are a bit worn, but the hospitality of the owners more than made up for any of the motel's shortcomings.
The inn is really more of a motel (see attached photos). The inn offers a home cooked breakfast each morning and they were more than willing to accomodate our request to have breakfast a little early one morning so we could have an early start on the day. The innkeepers are very familiar with the area and are a better source of information than the tourist center in the middle of Stowe. They helped me plan my driving route across upstate New York and the best way to use the ferries (that was fun!) across Lake Champlain. The inn is also located in a woodsy pretty location (once again, see photo). Once again, not a luxury lodging, but one that was perfectly suited for our needs.

• Liked — hospitality of the owners
  • Disliked — some furnishings were a bit worn, needs some updating
  • Tips/Secrets — visit Ben and Jerry's a few miles away!
Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank JHROrange
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 25, 2006

My sister and I spent four nights in June at the Hob Knob Inn for our annual "Girls Getaway." Due to the kindness of Bob & Barbara, and the friendliness of the other guests, our first breakfast stretched two hours! We thoroughly enjoyed the Inn and the wonderful Stowe weather while the rest of the East Coast was getting drenched!
We enjoyed a delicious dinner the night the restaurant opened for the season -- the Petite Filet Angus is a must, and mine was done perfectly medium-well. My sister enjoyed the crabmeat-stuffed shrimp. Again, we enjoyed a leisurely pace, looking out over Mountain Road. Our server, Troy, had been brought "up-to-speed" about us by Bob & Barbara and had plenty of information for conversation starters while he was serving us dinner with much humor!
We were struck by the quiet calm of the grounds and enjoyed sitting out by the pond on the park benches, listening to the frogs in the evening.
Our room was kept clean and quite comfortable.
Check-out day happened to be my birthday, and I was treated to a banana-nut muffin at breakfast with a candle! Realizing that we were driving back into "civilization" and rain, we reluctantly dropped off our room key with Bob.
It was a thoroughly relaxing time, and we enjoyed getting to know Bob & Barbara and the other guests.

• Stayed June 2006
1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 19, 2006

I accompanied my wife to a cancer survivor's event in Stowe Vermont in April 2006 and stayed at the Hob Knob Inn. We also took our 5-year old grandson, Brandon. We very much enjoyed staying at the Hob Knob. The owners were very friendly, the price was right, the rooms were great and it was situated in a peaceful wooded area.

Hob Knob owner, Barbara, suggested we visit a mountain scenic area called Smuggler's Notch. As I was driving Brandon to this site I noticed what appeared to be the statue of a moose in the woods along the road. I thought it was just an area attraction--that is--until its head moved. Stopping the car we got out and cautiously approached within 50 yards. The moose stared at us from behind a thin tree and we just stared back at him. Although it was a young bull it was as large as a horse. Brandon made some high-pitched Indian bird calls. The inquisitive young moose seemed to understand. I said to Brandon, “This is a silly moose. He thinks he’s hiding behind the tree but we can see 90% of his body.” Brandon laughed and said “Silly moose!” Perhaps the moose was hungry for recognition because he allowed us to videotape him for 10 minutes. Brandon was fascinated and did stand-up commentary into the camera while the moose stood at a safe distance behind as if he knew what was expected of him. Pretty soon our stance attracted the attention of other motorists and tourists. They started to pull over and point their cameras, clicking away. After the area began looking like a media event our friendly moose finally decided it was time to lumber on to new adventures. What an unexpected and rare treat this was for Brandon and me.

• Stayed April 2006
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Beijing, China
Reviewed March 25, 2006

The Hob Knob is a nice place to stay in Stowe and very close to the ski area of the same name. The Inn is comprised of a main building that contains a few units, the dining room, and a lounge as well as a separate two-story building with around sixteen units. It is located on a large wooded lot that is removed from the road and wonderfully quiet. We took a room in the separate building with two queen beds and no fireplace. It was neat, large, and clean. The hosts, Barbara and Bob, are friendly and helpful. Breakfasts were fine. Coffee needs to much stronger, though.

• Stayed February 2006