“Four Words RUN FAST BED BUGS”
Review of Commodores Inn

Commodores Inn
Ranked #15 of 24 Hotels in Stowe
Reviewed September 10, 2012

We stayed here in Sept 2012, I am not a fan of staying where dogs stay only because of allergies. However we travelled with a hockey team and they were able to accommodate all of us.
The place is very tired, run down, dark and outdated,, that is the up side... After a very long day of travel we pulled back the covers to find a dead bed bug... (we had sat on the bed earlier to read.. When we lifed the pillows there were bug.. BED BUGS.. I went directly to the man at the front desk, told him they had bed bugs, he very quickly got his back up and said they treat their place regularly... told me I had to "SHOW HIM" I went back to the room got a washcloth and took a few bugs down to him, he said " Oh My God" nothing more... I then said what I am going to do.. what a mess to deal with he said "what are you going to do what am I going to do" he then went on to tell me he pays money to have this checked.. not once was there I am sorry, I am embarrassed.. what can we do.. great customer service, an owner that knows nothing...
I told him i wanted my money back, he said nothing, my husband went down to get our money back the man said we would have to wait until 7 when the manager came in. The Manager called us at 7 oddly "the man" we dealt with earlier was THE OWNER, and would not do anything.
As we left the hotel the OWNER was standing at the front desk on the phone, I heard him on the phone "talking about the infestation" What owner would really do that at a front desk where everyone can hear...
The only good this was they gave us a lot of garbage bags to wrap EVERYTHING in as we had to deal with this mess before we could take anything in to our house once we got home. After a hectic weekend we sat in a laundromat and did all the laundry, had to have the car looked after as well...
PLEASE RUN... this place is the worst hotel I have ever stayed at, from cleanliness to Service and everywhere in between...
The owner did call later in the morning.. no apology, no offer to help cover the cost of a car cleaning, laundry and hockey equipment cleaned..
RUN and NEVER LOOK Back!!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Barbara M
commodores, Owner at Commodores Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2012

Please be assured that my wife and I are extremely sorry and upset with the experience you had while staying at the Commodores Inn last Saturday evening. We take what happened personally and sincerely.

When your wife first came to the front desk, with a towel wrapped around her hair, I thought she needed a hair dryer, and asked her if that is what she needed. She responded no, but that there were bed bugs in the room. I'm not sure of my exact words, but I told her we have a pest control co. come to the Inn frequently, and they have never found bed bugs. She came back with samples of the bed bugs in a face cloth. I put them in a plastic bag to show the pest control co. I was very upset and of course embarrassed that one of our guests was the one to find the pests. She asked for several plastic bags to put their clothes in. She said that their room should be complementary for the night; I assured her it would be.

When checking out they again stated the room should be complementary and the cleaning bill for the laundry should be paid for. I told him absolutely, that as soon as the front desk supervisor came in at 7:00 she would call to verify and that the credit card would be credited. I also said; please send any cleaning bill to my attention. They were understandably very upset, as was I. I told them that I was as upset as they were. I was on their side; especially with the fact that we pay good money to make sure the Inn is free from all pests.

A little while later I called them to make sure he had received the call from our front desk supervisor verifying that we had credited their credit card. I reassured them that the cleaning bill would be paid and make sure it is sent to my attention. He was very appreciative that I had called verifying everything that we had agreed upon.

First thing Monday pest control was contacted. They arrived mid morning to check out the room and surrounding rooms...their report showed that this was an isolated case and that they had come in from the outside with another guest. The pest people indicated to us that in the hotel industry, bed bugs are a problem and the only way to handle them is to isolate the room and heat treat (140 f) for 8 hours which has been done.

Again, I want to apologize for the entire situation. We take great pride in the Commodores Inn, having built it from scratch 26 years ago. We are slowly working on continuing to upgrade it. With the way the economy has been for the past years we cannot afford to do a complete upgrade at once. We take your comments seriously and try to improve because of them.

In the past couple of days, we have tried to call your cell several more times but have been unable to reach you or leave a message. Rest assured we have not let this incident lay idle. If you are willing to give us another chance we would be happy to offer you a complementary stay at a time of your choice in the future.

Most sincerely,

Bruce Nourjian

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Last time I stayed, I gave Commodores a "very good" rating. It's still a good value for the price, but I guess this was an off week. Three of the four breakfast staff scheduled to work didn't show up, delaying the start of the breakfast buffet by 45 minutes. Not a big deal - the dining room manager comped our breakfasts to compensate, but undercut the gracious gesture by loudly berating the no-shows during our meal. Another concern was the absence of any safety equipment by the outdoor pool - no life preserver, no emergency phone, and the customary rescue pole was also missing. We slept well and enjoyed the afternoon cookies.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
CommodoresStowe, Manager at Commodores Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2012

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Commodores Inn and taking the time to write a review.

I want to apologize about your entire breakfast experience during your last visit. As a past guest, you are aware that we take our guests comfort and convenience very seriously and pride ourselves on providing excellent customer service to all that stay with us. Regardless of our particular staffing issues that day, our dining room manager’s behavior was completely unprofessional and unacceptable in disturbing your meal. This has been addressed properly and be assured this type of behavior will not be tolerated again.

As for the equipment mentioned in reference to our outdoor pool, unfortunately we do not have the resources available to have a phone line at this particular location. We intend to research our maintenance department as to where the other safety equipment is being stored and will rectify this issue immediately.

I am glad to hear that you had a peaceful stay otherwise and hope that you will continue to join us each time you are in the Stowe area.

Warm Regards,

Karen L. Brown

Reviewed August 29, 2012

We booked this hotel based on all the positive reviews that it had received. We were very disappointed.

Firstly no one mentioned how far out this hotel is. Nothing is walkable in Stowe, but this hotel was at the far end of the village.

Secondly, people mentioned the outdated decor, but to be honest it was downright shabby! The wallpaper was ripped in the hallways, carpets were stained, the beds were dreadful, shall I go on?

One of the things we found most disappointing was the service. We wanted to have a drink on Friday afternoon so we went to the Sports Lounge. It was 3pm and the lounge was almost completely dark. The bartender was sat on a stool watching TV. We told him we were going to sit outside and enjoy the sun. He never bothered to mention that they don't serve on the patio. After sitting there for 10 mins we went back in. He hadn't budged from his stool, gave us lousy menus and said come back in when you are ready to order. There must have been 20 people sitting on the patio and no one in the lounge. At what point do you get the hint and go outside to serve people?

It's one of the cheapest hotels in Stowe and it was clear to us why. Oh, by the way, the pools are not heated despite what is posted on the website.

Room Tip: Pay a little bit extra and stay on the Mountain Road.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MontrealSpaGal
commodores, Owner at Commodores Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2012

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. I am so sorry that you were disappointed in your stay at the Commodores Inn. It is very disheartening when we have a guest who is dissatisfied.

First of all the hotels in Stowe are scattered throughout the town. We are located .60 miles south of the intersection of Route 108 in the Village of Stowe. Some guests enjoy walking to the Village others prefer to drive.

We do understand that some of our décor may be a bit outdated. We have been working on updating things slowly throughout the years. Unfortunately with the economy we are unable to do it all at once. In the past couple of years, we have re-carpeted all of the public areas; we have put new wall paper in the stairwells and painted the bar and the dining room. We have also updated furniture and carpets in about ½ of the rooms, put new refrigerators in all of the rooms and are slowly replacing TVs in many of the rooms. We are also working on replacing the mattresses.

I am sorry that you thought our pools are both heated. As far as I know it is not stated on our website that way. Our indoor pool is heated and the outdoor pool is not heated. We did just put a new liner in our outdoor pool in the spring.

I am equally disappointed to hear of your experience with our bartender. This is totally inexcusable and definitely behavior that we do not condone! The service end of our business is extremely important to us. We do not tolerate what you have described above. Rest assured that we have spoken to our bartender and that this will not be tolerated again.
Again we do appreciate you taking the time to bring your concerns to our attention.

Warm regards,

Carrie Nourjian

Reviewed August 23, 2012

Our Senior Group from Enfield Ct. and Worcester Mass. on a bus trip to the Green Mountains of Vermont spent 3 days and 2 nights at the Commodores Inn. The owners greeted us and made us feel welcome in their "home". They took care of our every need and the staff was friendly also.The food was great and enjoyed by all. There were two very different groups at the Inn at this time. We all got along well and we made some new friends. I would recommend this wonderful Inn to anyone going to Stowe Vermont. The Owners Carrie and Bruce will make your stay a memorable one. Helen O

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 20, 2012

We had an enjoyable stay at the Inn. Rooms are certainly adequate and clean and the facilities, with the pool and lake/pond, are really nice. Unfortunately breakfast was not included, but cost an extra $6/per person, if you ate there. We did -- and it was a good morning buffet; certainly, at a better price than you'd find elsewhere. Our only real complaint was noise from the people above us. Ground floor rooms are based on concrete slabs; second floors are not. I think the folks above had small, active children who ran around a lot -- or it was National Guard summer manuvers. Thankfully, it quieted down at "taps"/ lights out....

Room Tip: Go for the 2nd floor
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank largeed
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I stayed there this past weekend with 50 plus other motorcyclists. The hotel was very friendly to us and the buffet/salad bar was real good. Short walk to a gas station that sold snacks & beverages. Very convient location.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Our family of four stayed at the Commodores Inn a few weeks ago and had a great visit. The room was clean, and comfortable. The kids loved the outdoor pool and pond. We used the kayaks and canoes, and caught frogs each night. We brought our small dog for the first time on vacation with us and it worked out really well. All in all, I think it was a nice place to stay while in beautiful Stowe!

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family