“A nice play to stay”

Ranked #13 of 24 Hotels in Stowe
Massachusetts
“A nice play to stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2011

We decided to take a last minute road trip to Stowe. After researching on-line we settled on the Commodore for price and reviews here and other sites.

We booked their last king room but when we arrived they put us in a room with two double beds. Not only was it NOT what we booked, but it had a very strong stale smell, something that seems to be unique to some hotel/motel rooms. I went to the desk and at first the clerk said the website where I booked the room probably had it wrong but then she started looking at her computer and found us a king room. It was fine and did not have that strong stale smell.

We went out to their patio area where they have a large man-made pond. A group of men were sailing remote controlled sail boats and that was interesting to watch. Kayaks, canoes and a row boat are available for free and many people took advantage of that.

There are two pool, outdoor and indoor but we did not use them.

We had dinner in the restaurant and it was good. I thought a continental breakfast was included but found out we would have to pay $10 for a buffet. We ate in town.

The hot air balloon festival was held the weekend we were there and I think that despite that, when hotel booking may be difficult to get, we were charged a fair price.

Although I felt the front desk staff could have been more welcoming and friendly, we would consider staying here again. But, probably next time we may try a place in the village or along the Mountain Road.

Oh! I almost forgot. If you do not like staying at a place that accepts animals, this may not be the place for you. Many people brought dogs of all sizes. They were all very well behaved, but we know some people may be turned off.

Room Tip: The better views MAYy be on the second floor.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Masachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2011

We just got back from our 3 day trip with the girls (3.5 and 1.5 years of age) to Stowe. The Commodores Inn was such a wonderful place to stay. Upon check in, they have lemonade and cookies. The 2 pools were great...my older daughter and I went from indoor pool to outdoor pool back to indoor pool in a span of an hour. She loved it. The pools were clean and had generously-sized shallow ends, making them great for kids. They have a small pond in the back with kayaks and a canoe. They have a paddle boat, but it is broken (unfortunately), so be sure not to use it. My husband and older daughter went out in it and had to struggle to get back to the dock.
The breakfast (included in our package) was great! Large buffet with fresh fruits, bagels, cereal, toast, pastries, eggs, potatoes, sausages, bacon, pancakes/waffles, etc. The whole family loved it!
The room was clean and spacious. Bathtub was oddly shaped, making it difficult to step in and out of and to give my younger one a bath. All staff were friendly and helpful. Lobby was spacious, with large TV and a desktop computer for guest use.
Overall, this was an excellent value and a great place to bring young kids. Loved it!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank cookiebert
CommodoresStowe, Manager at Commodores Inn, responded to this review, July 21, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to review you stay with us on TripAdvisor. I would like to apologize for your experience with our paddle boats. Due to the nature of their condition we have removed them from the lake and will be replacing them with new. I hope that you will stay with us again in the future and try them out.

Karen L. Brown
Assistant Hotel Manager
Woodbury, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2011

Check-in was easy and staff very pleasant & accommodating.
Nice room - would stay again.
Onsite restaurant waiters and staff were very pleasant; very good breakfast buffet and dinner was excellent!
Housekeeping & maintenance staff also very pleasant.
Beds were comfortable and not too firm like most hotels/inns.
Game room games & pool table need updating: wasn't even worth playing.
Indoor pool was small.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank wintersolstice1994
Thank you for choosing to stay at The Commodores Inn. I am glad to here that you and your children had a wonderful stay with us. I would like to address the bed issues that you had stated. I have checked with our housekeeping department and can assure you that the concerns that you had will be corrected. All pillows should have covers on them and the mattress pads are typically sized and fitted to the bed they are covering. I will personally double check this to be sure all rooms are up to our standards and that of our guests. I hope that you will choose us again if you decide to visit Stowe in the future.

Karen L. Brown
Hotel Assistant Manager
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2011

We went with our dog and had a pleasant stay. The staff was very friendly, there's a pond in the back for kayaking, and a culture of model sailboats throughout.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2011

I have to say that what attracted us to this hotel is the private lake which allowed us to go canoeing or kayaking on it. Our kids loved it!! That has got to be the best part of the hotel. Plus there is an outdoor pool and indoor one, so when the weather isn't too great or when it gets cooler at night, it's great to be able to go swimming indoors as well. Our kids are 4 and 6, and they had a blast at this hotel.

Our room was great. I specifically asked for a room on the third floor because of other reviews I had read in regards to noise, and let's just say people are right, it's perfect up there! We could not hear anybody else up there. It's like we were alone in the hotel! And the room is pretty spacious and we had a skylight on the ceiling. I loved that feature. You get just a bit of light in through it at night so the room is not pitch black. Perfect. But keep in mind that there are no blinds or curtains on it, so if you need your room to be super dark when you sleep, choose another room without the skylight.

Another negative about the third floor, the elevator goes up only to the second floor, so keep in mind you will have to bring in your luggage up one flight of stairs to get up to the third floor, but for us, it was fine and worth it to be on the third floor.

I loved the fact that there is complementary coffee in the lobby as well as cookies and lemonade. That is such a nice touch. My kids loved it too!

We reserved through expedia so we got a pretty good deal on the room but it did not include the breakfast so I can't comment on it.

One major negative: the beds. Really. On the mattress there is one rectangular sheet that is the mattress cover, and it's not a fitted one, it's just a plain rectangle that doesn't even measure the whole surface of the mattress and then you have a fitted sheet on top of it, which is a little bit small and the least movement you make in the bed, the sheet moves, the mattress cover gets huddled up and bumpy under you, becomes really uncomfortable, and then the mattress gets exposed. Plus the sheets are super thin including the pillow covers, it's like you are practically sleeping directly on the pillow. Which has no protective cover either. I have slept in many different hotels and I have to say this one wins it for the worst beds. I would have rated this place a five-star if it wouldn't have been for the beds.

Overall, my kids loved this place, we did have a lot of fun here, and the location is great, close to many attractions, so I'm still happy we stayed here, and will probably stay here again in the future, however, I might end up bringing my own sheets.

1 Thank tinag19
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2011

We booked a room online because the Commodore was one of the least expensive alternatives in the area. We weren't expecting much from a budget rate hotel, but the Commodore was one of the best parts of our trip. The hotel is a little outdated, but that's the charm. The rooms were very clean and the staff was friendly and knowledgable about the area. The kids loved kayaking on the lake so much that we spent the evenings relaxing around the lake, which saved us even more money. The exercise room was disappointing - I know it's a budget hotel, but it wouldn't cost too much to invest in a new treadmill, weight machine and tv from COSCO or somewhere, which would be a huge improvement and would look great featured on the website. Overall, this was the best hotel value than I've seen in a long time. We'll definitely be back.

Montreal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2011

My wife and I decided at the last minute to go away for the long weekend. Having been to Stowe many times, and having stayed at many different places, I was looking for the best deal available. The Commodores had a 3 nights for the price of 2 special, which included breakfast. This was by far the best offer I found. We stayed 3 nights (Fri-Mon), Sat & Sun included a full hot breakfast buffet, and on Mon there was a continental breakfast.

The Commodores is not a fancy place, but you do get a lot of bang for your buck!

Pros:

Cheap
Indoor & Outdoor Pools
Breakfast included - buffet on weekends
Mid-afternoon cookies and lemonade
Coffee, Tea, Hot chocolate are always available
We had a fridge in our room
Free wifi - we had trouble connecting a couple of time, but the staff was quick to reset the modem which solved the problem
Air conditioning
Helpful Staff
Housekeeping was very good

Cons:

The beds are not the greatest. It was not an issue for us, but picky people might have a problem.
The pillows are not great, next time I will be bringing my own.

If the same offer is available the next time I want to go to Stowe, I would go back to the Commodores without thinking twice about it.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple