“Fresh Beer, Big Burgers--What More Do You Need?!”
Review of Crop Bistro and Brewery - CLOSED

Crop Bistro and Brewery
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Barrow Road
Description: Crop Bistro & Brewery is conveniently located on the Mountain Road in beautiful Stowe, Vermont with stunning interiors and ambiance featuring Peter Miller photographs, a legendary pub, and a beautiful hand crafted lounge bar. Summers offer an outdoor bar and patio dining located directly off the Stowe Recreation Path. The restaurant features American cuisine utilizing fresh local and regional ingredients, even some grown in our garden in our backyard! Along with great food, Crop Bistro and Brewery offers in house brewed ales and lagers, as well as simple, innovative cocktails, spirits and wine.
Reviewed July 31, 2014

This restaurant is down the hill from the Stowe Mountain Lodge in Stowe, Vt. on Mountain Road and worth a visit. They brew their own beers and have a nice selection of lagers and ales. I chose the Helles Brook Lager, served ice cold in a 16 oz. glass, which accompanied one of the best burgers I've had in a long time. A particularly nice touch was that the burger came with a fresh salad of mixed greens instead of fries. The meat was grilled to order and was delish! In addition to their burgers, one can order a variety of appetizers of wings, soups, salads, egg rolls, fried pickles and crab cakes (($5 - $13) and a main dish of steaks, fish & chips, scallops, swordfish, chicken breasts or pork shank ($13 - $28). I opted for a dish of blackberry sorbet topped with chocolate sauce for dessert and was surprised to get three scoops. I shouldn't have, but I ate the whole thing. Yum! Service was very good, too.

There are newer reviews for Crop Bistro and Brewery

Reviewed July 30, 2014

Crop Bistro's restaurant is absolutely gorgeous with a beautiful "backyard" and a separate outdoor patio with it's own bar. The beer was very good and the charcuterie selection was excellent as well, providing a nice sampling of local meats and cheeses.

Reviewed July 23, 2014

Stopped here for lunch with my family of 5 on a late Monday afternoon. Sat in the bar and enjoyed some popcorn while waiting for our meals. Very cool, laid back atmosphere. We sampled some meat and cheese, which were delicious, and then loved all of our wraps, sandwiches and mac/cheese. Fries were yummy too. Would definitely recommend.

Reviewed July 21, 2014

This is a lovely restaurant with really delicious food and wonderful wait staff. The problem is the noise level. I was a fairly busy night and I could hardly hear my husband across the table. The acoustics in the main dining room are terrible. My husband who I have never seen get upset in a restaurant was extremely aggravated with the noise level. The waitress showed us that they had tried to address the problem with carpet under the tables - but it needs to be on all the walls and a sound engineer needs to check out what can be done with the ceiling. However there is outdoor dining in good weather and we moved to the bar for dessert (yummy) which made a huge difference in our experience of the place. I would suggest eating there ONLY if you can sit outside or in the bar - or the place is almost empty.

Reviewed July 21, 2014

First, some perspective. If you're going to Vermont so you can relax in one of the prettiest and most pleasantly bohemian of the New England states (second only to Maine), beware! You should probably stay away from Stowe altogether. If you're going to go be mindful that Stowe is heavily populated by the extended family of the Jersey Shore cast. In fact, Vermont has always mystified me by it's connection with the Real Housewives crowd. Spray tans for the women and implants for the men are hysterically common here. This crowd didn't come for biking, kayaking or reading Leaves of Grass at the bistro. They're, well, you know.

Anyway, The Crop. Good lord. The hostess warned us that they were "booked solid" but suggested that we try outdoor seating so long as the bartender wanted to be burdened with food service. So we did. The ticket time on four adult meals and two kids' meals was 1 hour and 30 minutes. That's right. A ticket time that would inflict bankruptcy on any decent restaurant in Portland, Maine or pretty much in any other foodie destination. The food, I surmised, must be spectacular. So, so wrong. Bistro steak was overcooked, awful and lonely on the plate. Unremarkable meals altogether, accompanied by the most obnoxious hipster bartender (pardon the redundancy).

I had to throw my card at the hipster dufus to square up. He used the word "stoked" prolifically, nearly causing me to choke him to death with his patchouli and leather necklace. I inquired as to all the empty tables outside. He offered, "yeah dude, we were totally caught off guard by the number of no shows for reservations."

There is only one or two actual restaurants in town. The rest vary from decent cheese plates to harvest markets, which are quite nice with appropriate expectations. The Sunday farmer's market in town is wonderful and doubtless the third best dining option available.

On the plus side, The Crop had cornhole games on the lawn out back, which distracted the kids longer than crayons would have to accommodate the nearly two-hour wait time. Stowe is a ski town of sorts and one that caters to the Sopranos. Athletes, foodies and philosophers run for your lives. The Crop is a wonderful example of extremely overwrought mediocrity, wrapped in a thick blanket of a culinary experience fashioned by a committee of frat boys and Snookie.