“Nice place.”

Grey Fox Inn & Resort
Ranked #14 of 24 Hotels in Stowe
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 19, 2014

We landed there because we were last minute and everything was sold out in the Montpelier area. Not planned, our stay had us discover this nice area, with a rich history as a ski resort. Not snobby though, with good, affordable restaurants close by. Great area for hiking.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed August 19, 2014

My husband and I just went from Saturday to Sunday for his birthday and I couldn't have been more pleased!! We booked a Corner King room at it was just beautiful. Big windows with a mountain view. The room was plenty big with a King Bed and there was also a gas fireplace and a jetted tub in the bathroom. I only wish we had more time to use the fireplace and tub. The room was also super clean.

I thought the girls at the front desk were great too. Super friendly and they even let us check in early since no one was in the room the night before.

Location is perfect, you are on a nice bike path and can easily walk into the main part of town. You have a gas station next door that sells beer and wine, etc. and you can also walk to plenty of other restaurants.

There is also a Pub and the Dutch Pancake onsite which they offer you 10% off your bill in the pub if you are a guest, and a 15% of breakfast coupon for breakfast.

We had a drink at the Pub and then ate at the Dutch Pancake before we checked out. Both great experiences. Super friendly bartender and waitstaff.

They also rent bikes for the trail, we we rented for a half day (10 bucks).

I will definitely be back!

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 14, 2014

I recently had the pleasure of a two night stay at the Grey Fox Inn in Stowe Vermont, a small quaint property 33 rooms on route 108 on the way to Smugglers Notch. We got a late start and knew we would arrive late and called ahead. The reception desk closes down at 10pm and a wonderful young lady stayed late to check us in. She was very friendly and helpful. Our room consisted of a two room layout. A sitting room which could be closed off separated by a bathroom/ sink area then the bedroom. Sitting supplied a small pull out couch, arm chair, desk work space and small flat screen. Bathroom is equipped with a full tub and shower and the sink with a large mirror and counter was separate which is great. The bedroom furnishing includes a queen bed, flat screen, AC, and best of all a gas fireplace that pops on at the turn of the switch.
The property has both indoor and outdoor pools. The inside pool area is equip with a great sauna and Whirlpool tub.
The management and Staff were great, extremely friendly helpful and responsive to any request or report.
We enjoyed both restaurants. The PUB for a great dinner! The Menu is not huge but well thought out original spins on classic dishes. I had the Caribbean spiced pork loin. Our server Linda and Chef Tim are stars of “The Pub”. In the morning we had breakfast in the Dutch Pancake Café. Huge menu, get a coffee and take your time to read through but it won’t make your decision any easier.

Thank you James, you and your staff can proud of your property and service you offer.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed August 8, 2014

I stayed here over the winter but have not reviewed it yet, but I feel like it deserves my review as I have nothing but good things to say.

The staff was friendly, they did not bother us a single time, and the room was very homey. It was a great price, and I really liked the layout, which was a small living room type area, with a small hallway connecting that room to the bedroom. It was perfect for the winter time as my girlfriend and I both snowboard so we used the first room as sort of a staging area and that way the dirty stuff didn't get into the bedroom. It also had a little deck outside which was cool. The pool and hot tub were what you would expect at a hotel, but this one had big picture windows all in the room so you could see outside. It was snowing all 3 days I stayed here, so it made for a nice view.

The only downside was the lack of a refrigerator in the room, but it wasn't a big deal for me because it was cold out so I used the outdoor deck as my beer fridge. You can't do this in the summer, so pack a cooler if you plan to stay here in the summer. Free ice is provided downstairs.

It's also a big plus that you get a discount at the attached restaurant, which had some of the best pancakes I've ever eaten. Wow were they good.

There was plenty of parking, and it's only a 5-10 minute drive to Stowe Mountain, and is right in the heart of the Mountain Road, so all the restaurants and stuff are very accessible.

The stuff inside the rooms are a bit older, but it's all clean and gives you the nice historic mountain town feel. I really like that about this place.

Another thing that was really great is we stayed here the day after Christmas and into the weekend. Every other place was super expensive due to the time period, but this place maintained a reasonable rate which is what drew us in in the first place. It was a great choice.

If one thing is for sure, I will absolutely be back. They were nice enough to send us a discount coupon a few months after our stay, and we plan on using that for sure. I can safely say that every time I stay in Stowe from now on, the Grey Fox will be the place I look first.

If I have any recommendations for the staff, it would be to put mini fridges in the rooms and update the TV's. Very very small details that don't sway my decision at all, but it might for other people.

Keep up the great work Grey Fox!

Room Tip: The main hotel has the pool in it. The detached other part looks like it has a better view, but you...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 2, 2014

I booked several rooms in advance for our group. Unfortunately as stated in the reservation not all rooms were in same vicinity. Not that big of deal at this motel. But, where I have concerns is with the rooms themselves. First thing I noticed soon as I opened the door was how hot they were. Second, NO BEDSPREADS on the beds! Just a cheap blanket and a sheet. All of our rooms were the same. They are suite like rooms. I had to shut the door to the sitting room to even come close to cooling my room. The other problem, the A/C unit was right at head level, at the head of the bed, blowing directly on your face!

My biggest concern, the sink backed up several times. At different points of backing up, some kind of "black funk" came up out of the sink. I called the front desk, no help was ever sent to room. The sink backed up several times during the stay. Also helped in some of the others rooms as well.

Dined in the restaurant twice. Dinner and breakfast. Chief was friendly. I think the breakfast is a little overrated, but good.

Overall, would I stay there again, nope!

Room Tip: Find a room if you have to stay there without the A/C pointed straight at your head.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank HarleyJetDriver
James P, General Manager at Grey Fox Inn & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2014

Thank you for your review. Im sorry you felt unsatisfied with your accommodations. Had we known during your stay that you were unhappy we would have gladly moved you and your other rooms. This is the first time we are hearing about "black funk" coming from your sink. We do have a maintenance person and had we known of this issue we would sent someone up immediately.
Again if you expressed this during your stay we would have gladly moved you into another room.

Reviewed July 13, 2014

The service here is extremely friendly and very accommodating. The rooms are older but what one would expect staying in this historic mountain town. The location is perfect, no issues with parking and close to everything so long as you have a vehicle. I very much enjoyed it and would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed June 17, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here 1 night to enjoy a hiking trip to Mt Mansfield. .Website said our standard room had a fireplace...no luck there....not only was there no fireplace...our room was in the "basement" ...Room 18...However room 19 was on the 2nd floor. ..Thanks Greyfox Inn for that deceptive, numbering...Real Classy having a dark basement room with a backdoor leading into a dug down trench...with no path for 2alking...Must be just for Emergency exit...& I didn't find it cool that I went to the only vending machine in the hotel to buy a water bottle...only to have it spit back out my 1.50$..because it was empty...Not worth our money. ..A basement room, really??!!..You should turn your basement into a proper games room or a bar lounge. ...STOP RENTING ROOMS down there...Nobody gonna walk away impressed with that!!

• Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank Richard W
James P, Front Office Manager at Grey Fox Inn & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2014

Thank you for your review. Im sorry to hear your stay with us wasn't a pleasant one. We do have rooms that do have fireplaces and had you brought this to our attention we would have moved you to a room with a fireplace. Yes we do have rooms in the lower part of our in but it is not our basement. Again if you were not pleased where your assigned room was you could have came to the front desk and we would have moved you to a different room. As i recall you came to the front desk about the bottled water a little after 8am and the person who refills the machines had not arrived yet. I then told you that if you didnt want to wait that there was a store right next door to our inn and you could purchase a bottle of water there. You seemed fine with the suggestion. We try to accommodate our guest and had we known of your displease we would have done something to fix it.