“What a waste of our money”

Grey Fox Inn & Resort
Ranked #14 of 24 Hotels in Stowe
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed June 17, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here 1 night to enjoy a hiking trip to Mt Mansfield. .Website said our standard room had a fireplace...no luck there....not only was there no fireplace...our room was in the "basement" ...Room 18...However room 19 was on the 2nd floor. ..Thanks Greyfox Inn for that deceptive, numbering...Real Classy having a dark basement room with a backdoor leading into a dug down trench...with no path for 2alking...Must be just for Emergency exit...& I didn't find it cool that I went to the only vending machine in the hotel to buy a water bottle...only to have it spit back out my 1.50$..because it was empty...Not worth our money. ..A basement room, really??!!..You should turn your basement into a proper games room or a bar lounge. ...STOP RENTING ROOMS down there...Nobody gonna walk away impressed with that!!

• Stayed: June 2014
3  Thank Richard W
James P, Front Office Manager at Grey Fox Inn & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2014

Thank you for your review. Im sorry to hear your stay with us wasn't a pleasant one. We do have rooms that do have fireplaces and had you brought this to our attention we would have moved you to a room with a fireplace. Yes we do have rooms in the lower part of our in but it is not our basement. Again if you were not pleased where your assigned room was you could have came to the front desk and we would have moved you to a different room. As i recall you came to the front desk about the bottled water a little after 8am and the person who refills the machines had not arrived yet. I then told you that if you didnt want to wait that there was a store right next door to our inn and you could purchase a bottle of water there. You seemed fine with the suggestion. We try to accommodate our guest and had we known of your displease we would have done something to fix it.

Reviewed May 23, 2014

We stayed here for a short week end and really enjoyed it. Yes the room was a little dated, but the bed was so comfortable and had a gas fireplace and hot tub. It was very close to the bike path. We enjoyed a nice breakfast at the Dutch Pancake Cafe. Will definitely return.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 18, 2014

Everything very clean and the whirlpool was wonderfully hot.
That's all for the good news.
The worst aspect is that the in wall air conditioner is 2' from your head on the bed. The air blows on you all night making it very difficult to get a continuous sleep. The room smells quite musty and the furniture and carpets are very dated. The TV is in the "bedroom" so you must sit in bed to watch. I regret that we didn't pay more to stay at a better place.

Room Tip: Make sure that the air conditioner isn't next to the bed.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 15, 2014

Arrived Late about 11.00 pm so keys and paper work were in Box.
Should have read the paper work would have saved me time looking for my room.
could have gone upstairs near the main desk my room was at top number 15
Wow what a room All Clean and very new liked the Bath room so bright. and that power shower great after that drive from Boston
room was warm thanks James and Team for that.
so dump luggage wash and into that Great soft bed what a sleep I had that night.
SO quiet .
in the Morning read the paper work all my discounts for diner and Breakfast.
and the Location where my Room was (plonker)
Wow what a Breakfast liked the warm welcome as I walked in .
During my stay had a go in the Pool, sauna and the hot tub did enjoy them.
one day came back early from enjoying the views, Went next door to the gas station got a salad.
when I got back found there great lounge ..when they saw me there offered me some fresh coffee what a great lunch .

My thanks to James we had some great talks about life and politics and things in General enjoyed them
My Thanks to the Team that support Him

Great Value for Money managed to get a Senior discount from James
will have a go at getting back there sometime may be when it's warmer and lighter in the evenings would like to see more of the resort and the surrounding area.

I cannot fault the rooms and the facilities and the welcome from the staff
Have seem some of the other reviews .
But I never had any issues, any questions I had always got a helpful answer

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed February 24, 2014

You get what you pay for; but 207$ in February does not take you far in Stowe.. this is what you get.
A very decent hotel, nicely situated; closer to main street than the mountain but close to all restaurants and shops. Parking is easy.
The rooms are the weakness; we go a room with a living area which rendered the bedroom very small and the bed was a full or felt like it. The furniture, TV and carpet are in bad need for a revamping.. They still have tube TVs from the 1980's. The bed sheets are not the best and so is the comforter (kind of disgusted me). Bathroom and toiletries are "OK".

There is a very small gym, a decent size indoor pool and Jacuzzi and a Sauna.. I think the swimming pool area is the forte of this place and so is the main lounge...

There is a bar/Restaurant on site and the very decent Dutch Pancake house where you get a 15% discount when you are staying @ hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Naim00
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Stayed twice at Grey Fox Inn recently. Over many years, have stayed at many Stowe locations and can honestly say Grey Fox is one of the nicest. We don't go for the $$$$ places at Stowe...there are many of them. For the money, Grey Fox offers nice sized rooms that are clean, in good condition and comfortable. James does a nice job of managing the Inn.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank BradShaw123
Reviewed February 3, 2014

We were in the area and decided to stay for the night. We found The Grey Fox inn. The price was a little high for the quality of the room. There is also a fee charged by the inn. The rooms need a facelift. The television was outdated and the toilet ran all night. Luckily we were only there for one night. I wouldn't stay here again, there are many other places to choose from.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple