“I would stay here again and again!” 5 of 5 stars

Grey Fox Inn & Resort
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   990 Mountain Rd, Stowe, VT 05672   |
Ranked #14 of 24 Hotels in Stowe
Tatamy, Pennsylvania
“I would stay here again and again!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

We stayed in the main Inn house, room 5. You walk in to a sitting area with a chair, pull out sofa, desk, tv & bureau. There's a door separating that from the bathroom/bedroom area. I've read other reviews with people having issues with WiFi. We did not have an issue with WiFi, maybe because we were in the main building (?). The bed was SOOOOO comfy!! And the staff is very friendly! We had great conversations with the staff.
If I had to say a bad thing about the Inn, it would be that the drain in the shower was slow to drain. That was it. But we informed the staff as we left. Believe it, it was a minor issue compared to all the great things about the Inn!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
James P, General Manager at Grey Fox Inn & Resort, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Awesome. We enjoyed having you stay with us. Can't wait for your return.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Booked via PL for 112$. This is an older hotel located on mountain road, close to all restaurants, bars, stores, etc.. The lobby is older looking, with old furniture, not dirty but old, semi friendly check-in.
The room I got was in the main building and was large but not well decorated , and misorganized. There was 2 beds, 2 CRT TV, fridge, microwave, decent sized bathroom, but the bed ses a bit lumpy.

There is a small gym, with older equipment, and decent pool and jacuzzi. The highlight though was the breakfast at the Dutch restaurant on premise, great pancakes! And guests get a discount.

There is no Wi-Fi in the hotel except in the lobby, and the computer was sluggish. Plenty of parking... The outside pool was out of commission.

Overall, I was still pleased with the place....

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Quebec City, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

My wife and I are regular guest at the hotel. As always the place was very clean and charming and the staff always smiling and pleasant. To bad they closed the outdoor pool already but that didn't matter seeing it wasn't the best weather to swim outside. The indoor pool was perfectly clear and served our needs very well. We will be back after Christmas.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank M P
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I used to love this place great location. But now it's going down hill fast. The management is horrible. I checked out on 9/4 it took the person 20 minutes to check me out and I don't think the person worked there. He was extremely unprofessional and when I asked to speak to a manager he just scratched his head and made no attempt to fined the manager. The outdoor pool is disgusting they made no attempt to fix it. I will not stay there again they lost a loyal customer. The only time you see the manager is when he's smoking a cigarette and he is extremely rude.

• Stayed September 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars
5 Thank Anarchy666

Travelers are raving about these Stowe hotels

Dracut, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

We stayed two nights. Overall impression was just ok. We had a great time in Stowe, but this place definitely has some things that need to be addressed.

The good:

-LOCATION: Nice shops, many restaurants, Smuggler's Notch scenic drive/Mt.Mansfield auto road/gondola ride, all in close proximity. We also visited Burlington, about 40 mins west. Make sure you stop by the Stowe Mercantile on Main Street. Its an "everything" store with Vermont goodies/an adorable clothing boutique. Also, get a Maple creamee at I.C. Scoops, also on Main Street. Yum!

-BIKE PATH: Easy access to the recreational path, which takes you through some great scenery including along a riverside, along corn stalks with great mountain views, and along a horse pasture. You cross many bridges too, which is cool. Many other people on the path, but not too many that it was hard to ride.

DUTCH PANCAKE HOUSE: I will review separately, but this is the breakfast joint at the Inn. It appears to be a popular spot, and brings in traffic from non-guests of the Inn. In a nutshell: food was delicious, but service was SLOW (although friendly)

The OK:

-THE ROOM: The room was just ok. Bathroom was small and sink was awkward (faucet was on the side?) Shower was very small stall-style. We had a king size bed that was fine, nothing special. Sheets felt like paper. AC, Jacuzzi, and fireplace were nice touches. Upon arriving though we did find some hair in the bathroom, and a dead daddy-long-legs on the window sill. Mini-fridges were available for $5 per night.

The bad:

-EXPIRED SODA IN VENDING MACHINES: Both vending machines at the Inn were sold out of bottled water. Iced tea was sold out, too. So we were left only with soda. First time we got a Diet Pepsi, which we noticed the Best By date was January 2013 (vending machine in the main lodge.) We thought that was bad... the next time we got regular Pepsi from the vending machine at the mountain manor, and it had a best by date of SEPTEMBER 2010!!! The "contest" advertised on the bottle cap ended in August 2010. I am including a photo of the cap because I couldn't get a clear photo of the actual best by date imprinted on the bottle. But the soda itself was so old, it wasn't even carbonated anymore. It tasted like dirty water.

-OVERCHARGED AT BOOKING: When I booked online, I was given an invoice with my total, then I later received an email with an additional charge. Turns out one of the new girls accidentally added a charge to my invoice. I emailed and had it removed, but when I emailed back asking for confirmation that it wouldn't be added again (since I had edited my reservation online) I never got a response back. I understand mistakes happen but beware and watch your invoice.

-NO PLUNGER IN ROOM: We clogged the toilet - which was not very difficult, mind you. We checked around the room, peeked in the supply closet (which was open because room service was making its rounds at the time) and tried calling the front desk (no answer).... finally we got hold of the woman cleaning the rooms, who told us we could go to the lobby and steal the plunger from the restrooms in there. Maybe we're wrong but we felt like she should have gotten it for us. Instead we made the awkward round trip from the lobby to our room and back, with a plunger/crap bucket in tow.

-NO WIFI IN ROOMS: Like other reviews said,wifi is only available in the lobby. They told us they were working on getting it into all of the rooms, but I see other reviews say that too, so who knows how soon that will be.

-OUTDOOR POOL OUT OF ORDER: As others stated, there is a tear in the lining of the outdoor pool. Doesn't seem like they're in any rush to fix it since it's apparently been out of order for most of the summer. Indoor pool was nice, however only 4ft deep...BUT....

-INDOOR POOL LOCKED BEFORE CLOSING?: We were given an info sheet upon check in stating the pool hours were 8am-10pm, but when we came by at about 8pm Sunday night, the pool door was locked.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Ben W
Reston, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

We had a great one night experience at the inn. The room wad spacious and clean although a bit outdated (especially the TV ).
We dined at the pub for dinner and breakfast and the food was great and as the inn guest you receive a discount.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
new hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

Stayed in a two bedroom unit, which was a good size with balcony overlooking the Stowe bike path with a nice view of the mountains. It is definitely old and could use some updating but beds were comfortable. The place was very clean and had everything we needed. There was a couple of major disappointments that I believe we should have been informed of at booking time. The outdoor pool was closed and it didn’t appear that anyone was fixing it. Which was disappointing considering we went in August, however the indoor pool is very nice and clean. Secondly, the Wi-Fi was only in the lobby which they neglected to mention. Other than those two issues everything else was decent and the location is great. Perhaps, giving them a call to verify all amenities are as stated is necessary.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family