“Both Sides of the Coin”

Grey Fox Inn & Resort
Ranked #14 of 24 Hotels in Stowe
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Stayed in a two bedroom unit, which was a good size with balcony overlooking the Stowe bike path with a nice view of the mountains. It is definitely old and could use some updating but beds were comfortable. The place was very clean and had everything we needed. There was a couple of major disappointments that I believe we should have been informed of at booking time. The outdoor pool was closed and it didn’t appear that anyone was fixing it. Which was disappointing considering we went in August, however the indoor pool is very nice and clean. Secondly, the Wi-Fi was only in the lobby which they neglected to mention. Other than those two issues everything else was decent and the location is great. Perhaps, giving them a call to verify all amenities are as stated is necessary.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank adriaan22

Reviewed August 16, 2013

You’d never guess that some of these Stowe hotels had so few customers on summer weekdays based on the low number of rooms, and relatively high prices, shown in the online discount engines. Thus I was surprised to find myself as one of the few people at this hotel in a mid July, midweek night. I did book through one of the online engines, but it wasn’t that much off the hotel’s own website.

This place is nicely located, just above the actual town of Stowe. My standard room was actually two smaller ‘rooms’ or areas with a bathroom in between the 2 areas [beds in one area, a pull out coach in the other area]. While on the small side this is setup to sleep 4 with the bathroom right in between the two areas. Room was clean with TV in both areas. Check in was pleasant, efficient, competent. My room was close enough to the lobby, that I was able to get wifi from my room. Swim pool and workout centre decent. Lobby area nicely laid out. I was the only person in the bar, and there were no customers for dinner [perhaps there were some diners earlier in the night, but not when I arrived]. The breakfast menu had a nice appeal to it, especially the Dutch pancakes. But I’m a little wary when a restaurant does little business [unlike surely the winter months], plus was in a hurry to reach my destination that a.m.

I wouldn’t call this place a ‘resort’. But skiers and summer tourists typically spend little time in their rooms, thus for the price its an overall decent place, and would stay here again. I travel / stay around Stowe at least once a year, and have stayed or seen many of the place on the access road. This place is on the nicer side relative to most places on the access road.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Just returned from a disappointing weekend at the Grey Fox Inn. My husband and I visit Vermont several times a year but had never stayed at the Grey Fox Inn. I checked Trip Advisor for photos and reviews of the property and although some of the reviews were negative, the photos were lovely, especially those of the outdoor pool. My husband and I were looking for a relaxing weekend of lounging by a pool, so I made reservations for our stay over six weeks ago. After reading other reviews, I realized that the outdoor pool had not been in working order and before I made my reservation, I wanted to make sure that this problem would be corrected because pool lounging would be the highlight of our weekend. I was assured that the outdoor swimming pool would be up and running by the end of June. However when we arrived last Friday, the pool was still not working. We spent three days at the Inn and never saw anyone working to fix the problem. Upon check in, the desk clerk apologized and said that the manager would give us some sort of credit for our inconvenience. We tried three times over three days to speak with the manager but he was never available so we just left messages for him. I just received an email this afternoon from the manager simply saying that he would remove the service charge of $13.43 for each day from my credit card. No word of apology or credit for another visit.

I also had an issue with the mattress in our room #33, it was very uncomfortable as it sagged in the middle. One of the coffee cups was also dirty - coffee ring inside and lipstick on the out side. Our room had a balcony with two plastic chairs that were so dirty that I needed to cover them with bath towels before we could sit on them.

On the plus side, the guest rooms were of a good size and very clean. The staff that we did speak with were pleasant, polite and friendly. The Dutch Pancake restaurant was very good.The Inn is in an excellent location in Stowe, very convenient to shopping and restaurants.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank KarenThomas
Reviewed August 9, 2013

We usually stay at Smugglers Notch Resort for a week with the whole family, however we couldn't do it this year. So, my daughter and I decided to have a girls long weekend and went up to Stowe. We love the area and always eat at The Pub Restaurant when possible. We did again this time...the food is amazing! This was the first time we stayed at the Inn and I can honestly say the staff is very helpful, polite and cheery, as are most of the people we encounter in Vermont. Ididread on trip advisor that the pool was green so I called and was informed they were in the process of fixing it and that it would be ready by the time we checked in,it was not. But,I understand things happen and it was a little cool so the indoor pool, hot tub and sauna were just fine for us. The pool was still green when we left. We did not have wifi in our room because we did not stay in the main house. Our room was clean for the most part, there were a few issues but certainly fixable and we didn't complain because they were minor issues we could fix ourselves. Like I said, I get that things happen so if its not a big deal why make it one! Anyway, for the staff, the price, the food and the location I would stay here again. Overall, my daughter and I had a great time and would recommend it to our friends.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Stayed at the Grey Fox Inn this past weekend. It seems the reviews of this property are to either extreme. We found the hotel quite average...there was nothing really special that would make me
want to return, but there was nothing extremely bad as some other reviews. I think I could sum it up in saying that if you are passing through and looking for a relatively clean place to sleep this hotel would be OK. If your looking for something more, this would not be my first choice.
The bed was comfortable and the room was very quiet. I found the design of the room a little strange. We had a jacuzzi room and there was a large window separating the jacuzzi and toilet from the rest of the room...problem being that the blinds blocking the view of the bathroom are on the bedroom side of the window?? Sort of a quirky kind of detail that was not well thought out.
The other negative that I would have is that a couple of the drinking glass were not clean. I'm really sensitive about this since being told by a cleaner who works at another hotel (not in VT) that it is not uncommon for cleaning staff to quickly wipe the glasses with their cleaning cloth and then put back for the next visitors to use. This is really offensive to me, but it's certainly something we've been conscious about...if the glasses are not sealed, I always wash them before use. One other thing to note is that they do no have in-room wi-fi. We booked this room through the Stowe Visitor Centre, and we asked them if the Inn had wi-fi, and they said yes, but they did not specify (nor did we ask, as we just assumed) that it was in-room. Staff at the Inn said that it is something that they are working on. Had we been made aware of that w-fi was not in-room, we would not have considered the stay at all. There was also a bit of a mix-up with the room-rate charge at check-out, but it got straightened out very quickly. All being said, we would like to come back to Stowe, but will not be booking at Grey Fox.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sazzycat27
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We visited the Grey Fox Pub because we had a coupon from Restaurant.com, otherwise I think we would have missed this little gem. There is nothing special about the atmosphere - I would say it's right in between casual, and fine dining, but the food was VERY good. My husband and I both really enjoyed our dinners. It might have been slightly overpriced - although we enjoyed our meal, I'm not sure I would return without another coupon.

Room Tip: We did not stay at the Inn, just ate at the restaurant.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Came up to see the Hot Air Balloon Festival but only wanted to stay one night. This Inn was very accommadating in that aspect. Dante the front desk agent was very friendly & knowledgable & so were the 2 other agents that were in training.

Our room located in the "Main" Inn was very roomy & very clean. The indoor heated pool was also very clean but I would have preferred the outdoor pool which was closed due to maintenance issues, ripped liner, etc.

We rented 2 bikes that were not the best (seats were ripped/wet & the tires needed air) but one of the gentlemen in training was very helpful in filling the tires. Started loosing air again once almost back to the Inn - did not get my $10 worth - safe to say that the tubes/tires need to be replaced. Recommend you bring your own bikes or rent from a Sports shop - Better yet, they should be free when renting a room!

Seating in the restaurant fills up fast as this is open to the public. We opted to sit in the bar area (on high tables) rather than wait 1/2 hour. Pancakes were wonderful, prices were reasonable, staff/service were excellent.

Upon leaving, I expressed some interest in renting a 2 bedroom condo for winter skiing. James the General Manager was very helpful & even gave me a key to look at the condo.

**One suggestion - I wish there was a small refridgerator in our room as I was not able to take my left overs home :(

Overall this was a nice place & I would certainly come again :)

Room Tip: Our room consisted of a Full size pull out couch & a queen size bed. There was a door between t...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family