“Less than we remember”

GreenLeadersGold level
Woodstock, Georgia
“Less than we remember”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

We had stayed a the grey Fox a few years ago a thought it was fine however, this stay was nothing to write home about. It was clean but expensive and not very comfortable at all. We will not stay there again. Service also was nothing to get excited about.

Room Tip: Look around there are better choices.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank steveyb02
Meghan R, Front Desk Agent at Grey Fox Inn & Resort, responded to this review, October 9, 2012
Thank you for your review of the Grey Fox Inn. I do apologize that you found your experience with us to be less than satisfactory.

I am pleased to read that you found your room to be clean, but I am sorry that you found your service to be less than perfect. We strive to offer the best service possible, and based on the vast majority of our reviews, we frequently achieve that goal. However, since we apparently did not provide you with service that matched your expectations, we apologize.

I am sorry that you found your room to be uncomfortable, though it is difficult to tell what exactly what made that so, without knowing what room you had stayed in. Had you mentioned this to us during your stay, we would have been more than happy to assist you in finding a room that would have been more to your liking.

As is the case with all of Stowe, fall foliage is our busiest and most expensive time of the year. Perhaps in the past you had stayed with us at a different time of the year, but our prices haven’t increased in recent history. This leads me to think that you are comparing our prices during our peak season to our quiet season rates, and like most other inns in Vermont, we do have rates that increase and decrease throughout the year to stay in step with supply and demand. If you enjoyed Stowe, I might recommend travelling during the springtime or after foliage, when prices throughout the state will be lower.

Again, thank you for your review of the Grey Fox Inn. If you would please email us at sales@greyfoxinn.com with information about what you experienced that was unsatisfactory, we would be most appreciative. I would be grateful for the opportunity to speak with you further, both to hear suggestions on how we might improve, and to suggest a room that might be more comfortable for you should you decide to give us another try in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

We had a corner King room with a beautiful mountain view. Room was small and a little cramped.Very clean. Big jacuzzi tub, but the sink countertop was small. No space for toiletries really. Bed was OK, not the most comfortable. Clean but tired furniture. Check-in and check-out was a breeze. Ate breakfast at the restaurant. Very charming, warm and the food was fantastic. Didn't get the chance to eat at the the pub as they are open from Wednesday to Saturday only. Good location. It's ok for a couple of nights.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Luv2travel65
Thank you for your review of your stay at the Grey Fox Inn.

The Corner View King room is certainly a guest favorite, and with good reason. The view of the mountain through the wall-length window is breathtaking, and guests love the warm and wonderful sunlight. The Jacuzzi tub is the largest tub that we offer in any of our rooms, and the fireplace is a beautiful touch. However, this is the smallest room that we offer, and for guests with multiple pieces of luggage, it can get cramped. The bed is more firm than some guests would appreciate. However, if you do stay with us again, please bring to our attention that you found the mattress to be less than perfect and we would be happy to add a mattress pad for you.

I am pleased that you found your room to be “very clean”, your breakfast to be “fantastic” and check-in and check-out to be “a breeze”. On your next trip to Stowe, I do hope that you are able to stop in and enjoy dinner at The Pub, as we have just completely recreated our menu and we would love to hear your opinion. I appreciate you taking the time to leave such an honest review for us and for our future guests who may be using TripAdvisor to determine if the Corner View King is the right room for them.
Lindsay, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

My husband and I decided for our 25th wedding anniversary to go to Vermont. We could not have picked a more beautiful inn or town to stay in. The whole experience was beyond our expectations. Our room was absolutely beautiful and very clean. Lots of windows.....we could actually sit or relax on our king size bed and see the mountains out of our room. We loved the fireplace while watching tv & relaxing in our room or when we were enjoying our jacuzzi. Grey Fox Inn & Resort we would recommend to anyone. It was very serene, relaxing & romantic all rolled into one. Everyone on the front desk was very friendly and helpful with everything. The food was exceptional from breakfast to dinner in the evening. Linda especially was such a joy to come to know. All the staff were exceptional. If you want a great place which is beautiful and close to everything in the town this is it. Amazing view, great hiking & bike trails. Bike rentals right at the hotel with access to the trails. Will not hesitate to go back.

Room Tip: Corner rooms have view of the mountains and are bright & sunny.
4 Thank Sharon M
Meghan R, Front Desk Agent at Grey Fox Inn & Resort, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
I apologize for being unable to say this in person, as I was unaware that your stay was to celebrate your 25th wedding anniversary, but congratulations! 25 years is certainly a milestone to be proud of, and I’m thrilled that we were able to provide you with accommodations worthy of such praise for your special occasion. As a member of The Grey Fox Inn’s spectacular team, I am very pleased to read that you found our service to be exemplary; your room to be clean and comfortable, and your food to be delicious.

Again, congratulations on your anniversary, and we do hope to welcome you back next year to celebrate your 26th!
Agawam, Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

I stayed at the Grey Fox Inn in early June 2012. The accommodations were a huge disappointment. The single room was nicely decorated; however, the bed was so uncomfortable with numerous lumps separated by hard as concrete areas. I could not sleep a wink. Requested new room the following morning and was given a 1 bedroom suite. While this sounds like an upgrade, it was far from it. The bedroom area left little room to move around. The living room was depressing with no windows, very little lighting and dark, drab furnishings which was not the way to end a relaxing day in Stowe. The accommodations were on the second floor and when I arrived no one asked if I needed assistance with my luggage (There is no elevator.). As a single woman, I was distressed to learn that no one would be on site in the evening and overnight hours. The hotel had a minimal number of guests, and I was very uneasy with the lack of hotel personnel on site. All in all, not a pleasant stay..

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Marge655
As the front desk agent who provided this guest with customer service, I am truly apologetic that they did not enjoy their experience at The Grey Fox Inn.

When this guest arrived with her two family members, I allowed them into multiple rooms of many different styles, and they selected two on the upper level of the inn. The reviewer picked our beautifully appointed “Traditional Inn” room.

Due to our small staff, we do not formally offer a baggage handling service to our guests, but after she selected to stay upstairs, I did offer to have housekeeping assist in bringing her bags to her room. I again offered when she switched rooms on the second day of her stay.

The following morning, when the reviewer mentioned that she had not slept well, I apologized and again allowed her to enter multiple rooms to determine if another room would better suit her needs. She requested to try out the beds in other rooms, which we do not normally allow due to the added stress this causes housekeeping, but our housekeeper happily obliged.

She made her selection and opted to move to what she refers to as a “One Bedroom Suite”. This room is actually our “Standard Queen” room, which is more basic than the room she selected the first night. I do admit that I am rather confused as to why she would have selected that room if, upon her inspection only moments before, she thought that it was depressing, dark and drab. Regardless, I apologize that she did not find that room to be to her liking after making that switch and, had the guest mentioned to me that she was again unhappy with her accommodations, I would have continued to help her find the perfect room.

Around noon on the third day of their stay, the reviewer informed me that a family emergency required her to depart early. Though she still had two nights reserved for both rooms, I assisted her in cancelling the remainder of her stay, voided half of our usual penalty for early departures, and wished them the best. At their time of departure, they thanked me and again, did not voice any issues with their stay beyond the first night’s sleep.

As is the case with many similarly sized hotels in Stowe, we do not staff our front desk 24 hours a day, which we state in our confirmation letters, sign-in sheets and verbally at check-in. When the front desk closes, we lock the building and only those with room keys can enter. We provide a phone in our entryway with a number to call for assistance after we lock the building, as well as a sign on the front desk indicating how to solicit help if needed. Fortunately, Stowe is a very safe town, and should a serious problem ever arise, we are perfectly located just over one mile from the police and fire station and fifteen minutes from the nearest hospital. Had this guest mentioned that they were feeling uneasy without a 24 hour staff, I would have been happy to find them alternate accommodations.

After re-reading this guest’s review multiple times, I am discouraged that my best attempt to offer both excellent and compassionate customer service was apparently unsuccessful, and regretful that the guest does not have a positive memory of our inn even after multiple steps were taken to ensure that she was able to determine exactly what bed, décor and location she would have. I would hope that, if she finds herself in Stowe in the future, she would consider giving us a second chance to impress her.

To all of our future guests, please remember that though I do strive to provide the best customer service possible, I cannot provide a solution to a problem that I am not aware of, and rarely can anything be done to rectify any level of dissatisfaction after a guest departs. By mentioning a problem as soon as it arises, it is much easier for a member of our staff to correct the situation. I both encourage and welcome the reviewer and future guests to call us at 1-800-544-8454 should they have a question or comment about The Grey Fox Inn.

Travelers are raving about these Stowe hotels

Glens Falls, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

My husband and I decided to take a drive and spend a night in Stowe at the last minute. We found the Grey Fox Inn along with a few other properties on line. I wanted to sit in the sun and read a book and my husband wanted to be able to enjoy some bike or hiking trails. We wanted a little more deluxe but not a huge resort pushing time shares. The property is nice, clean and the mountain view rooms were fairly new. Everything was in good shape and the restaurant was very good. The pool, not what I was looking for. Small, for the most part it was shaded and not 1 lounge chair. I thought the pictures made it look bigger but realized later that there were no lounge chairs in the pictures either. Had I used my travel agent I probably would have known this so I don't blame the property. Also no beverages (regardless of where they were bought) allowed so I wouldn't have been able to have my drink and sit by the pool anyway. This property is strict on outside drinks so those bottles of wine we brought were not opened. I think this is important information to have as I would not have booked a hotel where I couldn't have a drink by the pool. The indoor pool was also small and not very inviting but everything was clean. The game room was in a basement. Not that we would have stayed inside but in ski season I could see where these areas would be important. Only 1 place to get ice in 3 buildings, this was inconvenient. There is a nice bar and the drinks here were good. Not a lively place. Beds were basic, rooms were basic with no mini fridge and amenties were basic. Close to town and right on the bike trail which was fabulous. Overall a nice small property who does a great job. I would rate at First class/3 stars.

Room Tip: The mountain view rooms were in a spereate building close by. They were quieter, fairly new but sti...
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

Very clean room, quiet and nice. I appreciated the possibility to open the windows, and to smell Stowe’s fresh air. Desk personnel were ok. We didn’t try their restaurant, since there are so many good restaurants in Stowe. The Inn is renting bikes, and has two pools (indoor and outdoor).

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Marco Island, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

We stayed here one night on a motorcycle trip through Vermont. We stayed in room 35 in the Mountain View Manor which is a mountain view deluxe I room with two queen beds, a balcony and a kitchenette. The room was adequate. The beds were adequate. Nothing to rave about. just your standard run of the mill mattress with holes in the blankets and foam pillows.I can live with that but expect a bit more for $154 + taxes. My big complaint was the lack of water pressure in the shower. It was a challenge just to rinse off soap. Rinsing my hair was nearly impossible.
We like to book hotels with restaurants so at the end of a long bike ride we don't have to mount up again to go to dinner, so the Grey Fox fit the bill.
Unfortunately the restaurant is outrageously overpriced. $24.99 for an entree is insane. It wouldn't have been so bad if it was great food but it was just ok. Nothing to rave about.
I also saw on the dessert menu $6.00 for two scoops of plain vanilla ice cream... Crazy.
Anyway.. If you can get a great deal here and just need a place to sleep it works. Looking for something better than your standard motel experience then I advise go elsewhere.

Room Tip: If booking in the Mountain view manor during a busy time of year book the top floor. You can hear ev...