“You get what you pay for”
Review of Bears Lair Inn

Bears Lair Inn
Bears Lair Inn
Ranked #18 of 22 Stowe B&B and Inns
Thüringen
“You get what you pay for”
Reviewed July 11, 2012

We staid in the Inn during a two week New England trip. The Bears Lair Inn is average, not more. It has seen better days. For example our wallpaper in room 8 is coming off. It was clean and that is for me always number one. We choosed it as it was not overpriced. But you get what you pay for. We paid less than in other places. Breakfast was ok.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed June 11, 2012

I arrived in Stowe for a family reunion, and the hotel I wa booked in was closed, and I was sent to The Bears Lair. The room was large and the bed very comfy. I was tired, and could not beleive my reservation was lost, or whatever, BUT Bill was so warm and friendly I instantly felt better. The breakfast was delicious, and very filling. I hope to return with friends later this year. The lodging was very relaxing, and Carolyn & Bill more than made up for the disappointment with the other hotel. I actually consider myself lucky not to have been in the other hotel, where I was supposed to have a reservation.

Room Tip: They are ll good, Bill gave me a tour.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank sarah j
riveria beach
Reviewed April 21, 2012

We are hoping to make our annual trip to Stowe and the Bears lair Inn Labor day W/E. The breakfast as stated in the other reviews is excellent, and the accommodations are large and comfy. Lots of propety to enjoy, the largest in Stowe, also very quiet, a must in Stowe.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jm1972RiveriaBeach
Bend,Oregon
Reviewed April 18, 2012

One evening I found myself in Stowe after looking at real estate in the area. What a great place to stay when having been on the road all day (very tired and very hungry). After a warm welcome Bill checked me in and directed me to just the right restaurant nearby. Returning to the inn, I had the best sleep and next morning had an amazing breakfast which carried me through lunch. Most hopefully the next time I am in town I shall be on vacation and can stay longer here.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank missy m
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 9, 2012

I could not have been made more welcome by Carolyn and Bill, and our room was large, well appointed and comfortable (huge tub!). Likewise the communal areas were homely and well laid out, and as others have remarked, the breakfasts are simply first class, and cooked to order, and eaten in a friendly family home arrangement, with fellow guests.
The Bears Lair is conveniently situated more or less midway between the centre of the town and the main ski slopes, and many other facilities are nearby (e.g. convenience store, cross country trails).
All in all, excellent - thank you. Nigel

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Nigel P
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 7, 2012

For the amount we paid we were really impressed with the size of the rooms here. Bill was incredibly welcoming and looked after us really well - his wife was away so he was managing the place by himself. When we first arrived we were taken aback by the number of stuffed toys in the house and were a little worried that our room would be full of them too; luckily that wasn't the case! The breakfast here was sensational and we loved the fact that guests eat communally at a large table as we got to meet and talk to the other guests and ended up sitting around the table chatting for a couple of hours with the two other parties and Bill as well.

We would certainly recommend this to anyone travelling to Stowe who wants to get away from the generic motels and hotels. Our only complaint is that the bathroom in our room could do with some modernisation. But it was clean and well maintained.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed December 28, 2011

I've stayed with Carolyn and Bill a few times and I love this place. The rooms are spacious, airy warm in winter and cool in summer. Breakfast is a real feast and tasty! The rooms have a variety of amenities- my favorite has a ceiling fan and queen-sized poster bed with an awesome mattress but next time I might opt for the manly wood one in the suite! The dead quiet is a welcome respite from the chaotic frenzy of NYC and I sleep like a baby there! You have internet access, hot tub, the rec path, close to the Trapp Estate and Mt Mansfield and a cozy family like atmosphere to return to after a day of play. I highly recommend the place.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends