“Not what I expected”

Dining Room at Trapp Family Lodge
Reserve with OpenTable
Dining Room at Trapp Family Lodge is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #23 of 102 Restaurants in Stowe
Cuisines: American, Austrian, European, Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed November 22, 2013

My husband and I went there for our 9th wedding anniversary and were very disappointed. The food was not good at all and there was nothing Austrian nor German about it. It was way too expensive for what we ate. I would not return.

1  Thank judy0612

Reviewed October 24, 2013

We dined here recently for Stowe Restaurant Week (we are local). I've eaten in the deli, on the patio and in the lounge area several times and have attended many wine tastings. In general, even though it attracts tourists, there is a lot for locals to enjoy here as well. The setting is beautiful and the service is consistently very good. Plus, you get to watch all of the tourists!

We dined in the dining room for the first time. Our squash soup with maple marshmallow was excellent. A nice combination of sweet and squash. That was followed by a crispy pork belly. I've never eaten pork belly before so I didn't know that it was supposed to have some meat on it, too - mine was just the (tasty and crispy) fat. I couldn't eat it all because that is just too much fat for one stomach to process. Only after we finished our meal and my fellow diner finished mine did I learn that there should have been some meat on it. Still, it was tasty and the celeriac root puree was delicious as was the black quinoa. The meal was finished by a linzertorte. I have eaten plenty of German desserts, so I was surprised that this was so dry and tasteless - it seemed to have been made the day before while usually these ooze with a buttery flavor and burst with fruit taste. I almost needed a knife to cut it. The apple strudel ice cream that accompanied it had a strange, almost chemical taste. Followed by tea, which was somehow not very good (was the water not hot enough?), I left feeling very full but unsatiated with the experience. From now on, I'll stick to the less casual dining options while visiting the lovely grounds. The dining room proved too expensive (even during restaurant week) for the quality of the meal.

1  Thank bagoody
Reviewed October 12, 2013

My husband and I have stayed at the Lodge many times, and have enjoyed wonderful breakfasts in their dining room. In the past, you could get the continental breakfast buffet for a price or get a hot breakfast at an additional cost which also included the continental buffet. The food was always really great. This trip, however, this was not the case at all. They changed the continental breakfast buffet to a hot breakfast buffet that includes bacon, sausage, potatoes, pancakes, and eggs. If you do not want the buffet, you can order off the menu but it does not include the cold items on the buffet like the granola, fruit, pastries, cheeses, etc., as it use to. Since we enjoy these items, we opted to try the hot breakfast buffet. I cannot emphasize how terrible it was!!!! We literally sat around waiting for the kitchen to refill items (not for a short time either), and the food was awful. The scrambled eggs were like soup, and the pancakes were dry and pasty. My husband and I have ALWAYS visited the Lodge for breakfast, even when not staying there. We have brought many family members there to enjoy breakfast as well. However, this was definitely our last visit, unless it changes. Also, the cost of the hot breakfast buffet is an absolute rip off at $20 a person, for what it was. Sooooo Disappointed!!!!!

Reviewed October 9, 2013

As a person who only eats chicken and fish, I was happy to see a vegetarian meal on the menu. It was exceptional. The staff were great and the view from my table was breath taking

Reviewed October 8, 2013

Ambiance is what you expect in an expensive place. Nice Mt. view, excellent wait staff. There were 3 of us. Two had the schnitzel while one had the Lamb Cheek. The schnitzel was a very large portion, but was excellent. The Lamb Cheek was not as good. The mushroom Cappuccino & Ravioli appetizers were very good. Along with 1 drink each the bill came to $200. including tip. Better have deep pockets when you eat here.