“Fun for first timers, boring after all; staff is not accommodating for advanced riders.”
Review of Snowmobile Vermont

Snowmobile Vermont
Ranked #6 of 21 Outdoor Activities in Stowe
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Snowmobile Tours
Reviewed February 10, 2013

The place is ok however the snomobile they use are old and in pour condition. We went out for a ride in a group of 3 snobiles plus instructor. One snomobile broke in the beginning of the tour and we had to wait and sit around untill someone brought another snowmobile up the trail. It was not fun because the tour is 2 hours and we were sitting in the woods and waiting for an hour. After them basically we had another20-30 min ride and we went back to the parking lot. The owner would not refun us even a part of the money even if we did not ride even halph of the promised time. He offered another tour instead but he said that it should be in march only because he is busy in February. He also did not let us get it toward snowmobile rental. (he said that he does not rent snowmobiles in this location) dissapointed and would not be coming back to this place again. DO NOT RECCOMEND.

4  Thank Squirre
SnowmobileVTStowe, Owner at Snowmobile Vermont, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2013

Thank you for your recent feedback on our Backcountry Adventures.

Our entire fleet of snowmobiles are 2011 Polaris IQ LXT. We maintain our entire fleet daily. Unfortunately, unforseen mechanical issue can arise. All the other people affected by the unfortunate incident chose to accept a certificate to ride with us at a different time. I'm sorry you misunderstood me, but I was suggesting you come back when it was not so busy for the best ride I could offer.

Please feel free to contact me at 802-253-6221 to discuss a return adventure for you.

Johnny

"hot cider"
"office staff"
"proper gear"

Reviewed January 28, 2013 via mobile

There were 6 people in our tour group including my husband and I - and no one in the party had snowmobiled before. But the girl who showed us the safety video & gave us our helmets assured everyone that we'd be fine. After the video, we drove to meet our guides a few miles down the road. They weren't ready for us yet so everyone stood around (in 5 degree weather) while the guides hung out & smoked cigarettes. Finally it was time to go. No sooner had the trip started did people start having problems.

After a brief loop around an open field, we took off on the trails. These trails were NOT for beginners. Not only were they steep and narrow with a sheer vertical drop in places, but they were in terrible condition and sections had no snow - just mud. One guy landed his snowmobile in a ditch 5 minutes into the ride. A half hour later, another woman crashed. And on our way up a particularly steep muddy hill, our snowmobile skidded into a tree and almost sent us flying off a cliff.

It's hard to have fun when all your energy is spent trying to prevent a major accident. Our guide even mentioned that the trails the company used to use are now being used by loggers - so they now take everyone on these trails that are challenging even for experienced snowmobilers. With the condition of these trails, it's only a matter of time before a serious injury occurs (but since you have to sign a release waiving the company of all responsibility, they may not care if you get injured or not). I really wanted to like this trip but I'm sorry to say that it wasn't fun at all - just dangerous and immaturely run.

1  Thank CTtravelgirl
SnowmobileVTStowe, General Manager at Snowmobile Vermont, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2013

Thank you for your feedback regarding your 2 hour Backcountry Snowmobile Adventure. We’re sorry the trip didn’t meet your expectations. I wish you had notified us of this the day of your tour, so we could have addressed the issue immediately. Working with Mother Nature is never easy. We at Snowmobile Vermont take great pride in offering a quality snowmobile adventure.

Please contact us at (802) 253-6221 if there is anything else we could improve.

Johnny Lynds
Manager

Snowmobile Vermont

Reviewed January 27, 2013

We went here on a day that was about 3 degrees out for a two hour tour. We were covered up head to toe (bought neckwarmers at the store in the building) and did not feel cold. Riding the snowmobiles was great, I was glad I drove my own instead of riding with my husband. The guides were fantastic, constantly checking everyone was ok and adjusting the pace so everyone was comfortable and had fun. One was going to college there for outdoor education and it was very obvious that he really enjoyed what he did!

Reviewed January 25, 2013

My husband and I are senior citizens, we were not sure snowmobiling was for us. The nice people at the tour location ( Umiak) assured us that we would be fine. We had to rent warm suits and boots. Think everyone should rent . Not much money to assure you are warm and snug. Ride up and down the mountains,at times was scary and fun. The instructors,were very considering and patient. They gave us the ride of our lives and were more than happy to take our pictures. A two hour ride is what I recommend, price is reasonable, fun is what it is all about.

1  Thank rainy53
See more reviews
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Overall my boyfriend and I had a fantastic time. We signed up for a two hour tour for 10am, renting a snow mobile for each of us. We were required to arrive at the office at 10am for a video demo and payment confirmation. You are forced to purchase insurance for $20 a person or management will authorize your credit card for $350 to cover damages. You can rent as now suit for $15 however I was fine in jeans and under armour garments. We purchased foot Warmers before our arrival which were a huge help. The handlebars of the snow mobile are heated so your hands are kept warm. After the brief video at the office, we were given helmets and directions to the location where the snow mobiles were held. We found it odd that we weren't notified previously that we had to drive to another location. If you're taking a shuttle or having family drop you off, you should consider this. You are given another demo at the snowmobile location and paired with a guide. Our guide was AWESOME. Super attentive and helpful. This was our first time but we caught on quick. Our guide allowed us to reach the maximum speed limit on the trails once we determined we could handle the mobile. We probably wouldn't do this again, but the experience was fun.

1  Thank Jessica S

Been to Snowmobile Vermont? Share your experiences!