“Great hotel and Spa” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 24 Hotels in Stowe
Hartford, Connecticut
“Great hotel and Spa”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2010

My husband and I stayed here last June for our anniversary. Our first night we stayed at a spa room and were upgraded to a one bedroom suite the second night. Although it is an older hotel we were very impressed by the hotel staff and spa. Really great location and convenient to exploring the area. The Stowe Recreation Path runs close to the hotel and is a nice place to go walking.

The on-site restaurant is just Ok, but there are lots of other restaurants in the area...check out the Rusty Nail Bar & Grill for a great hamburger or salad. There is also a very nice wine and cheese store right across the street. We had a really great dinner at the Trapp Family Lodge.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Aspen, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2010

I had been looking for a last minute overnight stay in Stowe for my girl's birthday. I wanted to have her have a pampered day in the spa while I hit the slopes. Everything was perfect. The hotel was very up to date for Vermaont and the rooms were gorgeous Marble bathrooms and the funrinshings such as the comforter, pillows, really made a difference. I usually don't notice these things but they really stood out. I slept like a baby.

The hotel allowed us to check out late which really made things easier for us. THe spa I hear was deffinately four star. My girlfriend worked in 5 star spas on Maui and had nothing but great things to say about the staff and the facilities. She was there from 10am to 4pm and did not want to leave. Roy and Jules in particular were fantastic. The spa treatments were well priced, about half as much as Stowe mountain resort.

We ate at Harrisons which was cozy with great food and a nice eccletic wine list. I am a fooooody in the business. I did some research and it lived up to its billing. Where the locals go from what I understand.

I though the price was a steal. 500 dollars out the door for the room, herbal wrap and massage, spa manicure pedicure parafinn treaments, and breakfast with dropping an extra 40 on spa tips.

Conditions at stowe were great. Skiied my first double black diamond :)
We will be back as soon as we can.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Adm6
ma
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2010

I was there for a conference this past weekend (3 nights) and stayed in a 2 bedroom townhouse (2 couples) for a $675/night. The place was spacious and the hotel itself is well kept and cozy. Immediately upon arrival to the room, I noticed that it was visibly dirty. The kitchen cabinet doors were in bad shape and 2 were falling off the hinges. The shower curtain in one bathroom was stained and appeared moldy. On the second day, room cleaners showed up at 9 AM while we were still getting ready to leave. When we asked if they could come back in 30 minutes, they rudely stated that they had "40 other units to do and would probably not get back to us." They never returned and we were left with dirty towels and unmade beds until departure the next day, despite calls to the front desk. There were numerous other relatively minor things that were annoying especially given the premium prices we were paying. Overall an OK hotel experience but not even close to what I would expect at these prices.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank kecidog
Kimdixon, Director of Marketing at Stoweflake Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 22, 2010
We are very sorry that our housekeeping failed during your stay. I have reviewed your experience with that department will take the corrective measures necessary. Again,
I apologize. Please call me if you would like to discuss this further.
Ottawa, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2010

We left Ottawa on Friday afternoon after work and arrived at the Stoweflake Resort that evening. It appeared a little deserted upon arrival, but we were greeted at the front door to what appeared to be a rustic cabin-looking decor. I went down to the pub to order some food at about 10pm, and there was about six people sitting around the bar. It wasn’t the hub of popularity by any means. The food is less then average quality, deep fried with simple ingredients; average price was about $15/meal.

When I got back to the room, they didn’t give me a spoon for my soup. So I called down to the front desk, and was ensured that one would be brought up, which never came. As I inspected the room, I noticed that it was extremely cold. It appears that the room had not been stayed in for some time. It took 2 hours to get the room temperature from 68 – 73.
The television was an old Zenith 24” which had bad cable reception on most channels. The carpet was old and worn out. The walls had peeling wall paper on every piece, with cheap door knobs and dented doors. The washroom was half decent, but the bathtub was small. The initial evaluation had me wondering, “Is this a 4-Star Hotel?”.

Next day, I went down to the Spa to book us a massage. The ladies at the Spa were polite, but appeared bored due to lack of customers. I was told there were lots of spots available for massages, so I booked us a couple’s massage. I was shocked to find out that it was $255+TAX+18% Automatic Tip! That’s about $160US for their Signature 50 Minute Massage... NO THANKS!

The location was about a 10 minute drive to the mountains, and only 5 minutes away from lots of great restaurants. But as a new visitor to Vermont, I was quite disappointed. Nothing was within walking distance, and all the inns were along a busy road; not exactly the “resort” atmosphere I was expecting. This “Inn” should be properly rated as a 3-Star hotel at most, and my experience would give it an accurate 2.5-Star. There is no quality or luxury here, only poor location next to a busy road, high prices, and outdated decor.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Khoazy
Thank you very much for taking the time to tell us about your experience. In addition to the AAA 4-diamond restaurant that we have on property, there is also our pub, which unfortunately did not meet your expectations. We are very sorry for that and would like to prove to you that it too has great cuisine. I have also reviewed your comments about your dining experience and guestroom--with my management staff--and will take appropriate corrective measures, including door handles, sprinklers, etc. As for the Vermont inspired décor, that is personal preference. We are also sorry that you did not take advantage of the spa. A massage at Stoweflake includes so much more than the actual treatment. With private men’s and women’s sanctuary lounges with whirlpools, steams, sauna’s, tea / juice bar and coed water treatment areas– it is meant for you to lavish in a full spa experience. As far as the area, there several restaurants and shops within walking distance that are accessible through the Stowe Recreation Path, a beautiful scenic walk. Again, we apologize that you did not have the vacation experience that you were looking for and would love to discuss this with you further. The General Manager
Central Vermont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2009

We had 230 people go to the Stoweflake for our company holiday party. Most of them stayed the night too. The Stoweflake put on an awesome event. From the planning stages to the actual event.... everything was seamless. I like the Stoweflake because it's in the heart of the beautiful town of Stowe, Vermont. The hotel had a festive atmosphere and the food was great. We will be going back again next year!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
Boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2009

I am catching up on a year's worth of reviews, but I wanted to review this lovely hotel where I stayed in February.

I went with a female friend for a spa getaway. We had a room with two double beds and a fireplace. It was lovely and there was adequate space for two.

I reserved over the phone and the agent was pleasant and helped us put together a package with spa treatments. Check-in was easy and the bellman was very polite.

The spa is lovely (very much worth it), as are the toiletries in the rooms. Our room was very clean.

We ate the the pub (lovely) and at Winfield's (great, but for the quality relative to the price, the pub was a better option).

We did find the gym a little run-down and in need of updating at some point, and the staff who helped with our snowshoe rental were not particularly organized or helpful. Other than these two minor things, we had no complaints.

We enjoyed our stay so much that we extended it for an extra night. I look forward to going back.

Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
Boston, MA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2009

My husband and I spent the second half of our honeymoon at the Stoweflake in Stowe, VT. We loved the hotel from the minute we walked in the front door. The lobby was beautiful with a roaring fire across from the front desk. And the service at the desk as wonderful. When I made the reservation months ahead of time, I mentioned that it was our honeymoon and when we checked in Justin at the front desk congratulated us on our marriage and was very friendly, asking how our trip was and if there was anything he could do for us. He just went out of his way to be nice and really made an impression on us.

We had a king room with a fireplace and it was beautiful. The room was spacious, had a gorgeous view of the mountains, and the bathroom was fabulous as well with a separate, jacuzzi tub and double sink. Everything was tastefully decorated and well maintained. The cleaning service was great - my husband was impressed with how they lined up all of our brushes and toiletries neatly on a towl on the counter.

I can't speak for the restaurants as we didn't eat there or have room service during our stay. We also didn't take advantage of the spa, although it was right below our room and looked very nice. Next time, we will be sure to give them a try!

The location of the hotel was also very convenient. Right in the middle of Stowe. We went to all of the nearby attractions and nothing was too far away.

We are definitely planning to go back to Stowe and stay at the Stoweflake and would recommend it to anyone planning a nice getaway!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple