We stayed at the Stoweflake for 4 nights, over the long holiday weekend. We originally had planned to stay at Topnotch but waited too long to make reservations there, so I am probably reviewing this hotel with a second-choice bias.
My overall impression of the Stoweflake is that it is a good base for a ski trip but not for someone seeking high-end luxury accommodations. We stayed during the expensive holiday season but got a 20% discount that was posted on the Stoweflake website. (To get the discount, one had to make a phone reservation and make reference to the online promotion.) For the price point we paid and for the purpose of our visit (skiing), I was satisfied with the Stoweflake and had an enjoyable visit.
First, let me state that the staff at the Stoweflake is very friendly. We felt very welcomed. Afternoon tea, hot chocolate and cookies (from 3 - 5pm typically) were a nice treat.
We stayed in the second level (Luxury) of five room types. This room type worked out well for our ski trip. It was very spacious (over 450 sq ft), nicely decorated and had a comfortable bed along with a gas fireplace, which was great for drying out wet ski gloves and neck gaiters, etc. In addition to a regular closet, there was a closet with shelves, another nice feature for laying out ski clothing. The bathroom was a good size but rather dated. Maybe the more expensive room types have renovated bathrooms.
Additionally, some of the public areas (such as hallways, carpeting, sauna) of the hotel are in need of refurbishment and do not exude a high-end resort feel. The outdoor pool and hot tub were inviting, but we never managed to check them out. There are also fitness classes (yoga, pilates, spinning) in the mornings and evenings (for $10 per class per guest).
We did not realize the hotel was pet-friendly. We could hear a dog faintly barking down the hall from us one night and again the next morning. It was not loud enough to make us call in a complaint to the front desk, but loud enough to disturb us a little bit. Possibly, the Stoweflake has certain section designated for pets and certain sections designated pet-free.
On our third full day at the Stoweflake, we enjoyed the spa, particularly wonderful deep tissue massages. I thought the co-ed lounge area could be a little larger and quieter. (It is located in the same room as the waterfall hydrotherapy, which feels great on one's back, but is noisy whenever motion-activated.) That said, the separate lounge areas were very relaxing and quiet. Lunch can be taken at the spa. I would not hesitate to use the spa again.
Two restaurants in Stowe that we really enjoyed were the Bistro at Ten Acres Lodge (~3 minutes away by car) and Harrison's (~7 minutes away, in town). Casual attire is fine at both. One morning we walked into the tiny, but charming downtown, along the meandering 2 mile recreation path that passes right by the hotel.
If I was heading up to Stowe again for a ski trip, I definitely would consider staying in a similarly-sized spacious room at the Stoweflake. There is on-site ski storage. The free Stowe shuttle bus stops at the hotel every 20-30 minutes, depending on the time of day, and only has a couple of stops before reaching the ski resort in less than 10 minutes. (Topnotch Resort is closer to the mountain, maybe a 5 minute shuttle ride.) Plus, after you are done skiing, you can get a great massage at the Stoweflake to relax any aching muscles.
However, if I was heading up to Stowe purely for a luxury spa get-away, I probably would check out either the recently renovated Topnotch or Stowe Mountain Lodge instead.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Stoweflake Mountain Resort & Spa is a full-service resort ideally located in the heart of Stowe. Owned and operated by the Baraw family for fifty years, the AAA 4-diamond property is home to an unparalleled array of amenities and facilities, including a 50,000 square foot world class spa, an award-winning restaurant, elegant accommodations, and the largest resort-based conference center in Vermont.Stoweflake is situated on 60 acres and includes golf facilities, clay tennis courts, play areas, indoor and outdoor pools, outdoor Jacuzzi, and groomed XC trails. Within walking distance is a wide variety of popular restaurants, pubs and specialty shops to explore.Visit us soon for a relaxing retreat or an adventurous mountain getaway! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Orbitz, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Cancelon, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, Hotel.de and HotelQuickly so you can book your Stoweflake Mountain Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Stoweflake Mountain Resort And Spa
- Stoweflake Mountain Hotel Stowe
- Stoweflake Mountain Resort & Spa Stowe, Vermont