“Very satisfied with our weekend get away” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Stoweflake Mountain Resort & Spa

Ranked #7 of 24 Hotels in Stowe
“Very satisfied with our weekend get away”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

We have no complaints nice relaxing spa where we received a couples massage and have to say it was the best massage either of us have had.
Breakfast at the restaurant Charlie b's was pretty good no complaints there.
Service was friendly.
Loved the hot tub and our room was a nice size!!

• Stayed April 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

While staying at Stoweflake we were feeling lazy (despite many area breakfast joints) and tried Charlie B.'s (on premises). First, I insisted on changing tables: the host sat us at a table that had not been wiped, and yet, had napkins and flatware on it. The seats were so full of crumbs and greasy spots I had to brush off my pants when I stood up.

At a new table, we got reasonable good service, and mediocre, forgettable food. Fruit plate had some unripe fruit, some ripe, some on it's way out (dry orange slices, flavorless, dry berries, unripe melon). Ordered corned beef hash (canned) and poached eggs with hollandaise (fine).
Coffee, tea or juice comes with your meal. Paid ~$42 for two people (incl tip). Like I said, the waitress did a fine job, it was the kitchen who failed.

Later, at the Spa, we wandered over (in our robes, we were thinking...fun!). But no. Two bowls of (canned) chowder arrived MAYBE lukewarm (closer to room temperature). It's no wonder: we realized the one waitress had to walk all the way down to the other end of the hotel to Charlie B's the retrieve our food! We also had ordered a BLT wrap and a turkey burger. The wrap arrived without mayonnaise and the tomatoes were so hard and unripe my daughter pulled them out. Now she had a dry lettuce and bacon wrap. Blech. She didn't finish it. The turkey burger bun was like a fossil. The burger itself was so tough I had difficulty even getting a bite and would have spit it out but that was rude. I then removed the bun to try fork and knife on it and quit. The waitress offered to replace my burger with a beef burger. I considered it but we were so disenchanted at this point we got up to left...but not before she presented us with a bill for the wrap and two soups (in the $30 range)... I said No way. I'm happy to speak to the manager, and this is not your fault, but I have a hard time paying for cold soup and inedible food. They said we didn't have to pay (We were also reimbursed the breakfast bill upon check-out).

The neighboring table said her club sandwich arrived without bacon OR cheese. I ask you...That's not a club...is it? They were offered a 10% discount off their bill. TERRIBLE. She complained about it to me in the ladies sanctuary afterward.

Bottom line: this restaurant has been associated with Stoweflake since 1963, and it's my guess whichever relative of the original owner is running it now doesn't have any interest or pride in this restaurant. Our weekend at Stoweflake was STELLAR with this one black mark. Stoweflake should insist on replacing them...Top quality everything...except Charlie B's (who rides their coat tails). BOO! We went out of our way off premises after that to take our hungry bellies and business elsewhere. It's worth it to drive three minutes.

Room Tip: Premium spa rooms are indeed "premium", in price and esthetics. We loved the huge jacuzzi...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank IngaGaminga
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

Firstly let me start by saying how pleasant everyone at Stoweflake resort was. All staff were very helpful and cheerful and nothing seemed like too much of a problem. We were staying at the hotel as a family of 6 for a skiing holiday. A plus point of the hotel is the location - halfway between the town of Stowe with its many restaurants and the mountain and skiing in the other direction.

The skiing in Stowe was great and the hotel arranged our ski passes and put us in touch with a local hire company which offered us great discount as we were staying at the hotel. Unfortunately a number of instances occurred during our stay which leads me to giving it a poor rating.

1. We arrived on Sunday night around 10:00pm which is not too late, we had just finished a 4 hour drive and a long flight from the UK so was quite tired and there was nobody available to greet or help with the luggage. The gentleman at reception pointed us in the direction of a old luggage carrier which was pretty shaky and unstable, so we loaded that up with our bags and ski gear and took it to the room ourselves.

2. The hotel has an onsite restaurant called Charlie B's which is ok, average food. We went there one morning for breakfast and had an hour wait from ordering the food to it being delivered on the table - when it came it was ice cold and half the order was wrong. The hotel has many conferences in its meeting room and that morning I guess attention was given to them rather than their paying guests. What a shame.

3. We had 3 rooms in total, one room was occupied by a single mother and her 5 year old son. In the middle of the night (around midnight) the hotel staff opened the hotel room door and let in 2 other guests who were part of the conference and had forgot their room number. As you can imagine it was a pretty scary experience waking up to see 3 people hovering around your bed.

4. The indoor pool was out of use on our first day, it was being cleaned and was full of chemicals. We used the outdoor hotub (which was lovely and warm, like a hot bath and was really enjoyable) and tried the outdoor pool but that was a little cold, although they do heat it. We were told repeatedly not to use the indoor pool and as we were leaving to head back to the room another hotel staff member said that they had the green light to use the indoor pool and we could go ahead. Myself and my 5year old nephew jumped in for a quick swim and after a few minutes the hotel staff came running back and said we couldn't use it yet and it was still loaded with cleaning chemicals. I came out with a slight burn rash on my shoulders and back but it cleared up the next day, lucky the 5yr old showered as soon as he came out but thats not the service you would expect.

So after those 4 instances we decided to cut our stay short by a day and leave. The hotel did pay for a breakfast at the Ski resort which came to around $70 to make up for the mishap with the cold breakfasts and apologised. Once more I will say everyone was pleasant and cheerful, such a shame the service didn't live up to the staff enthusiasm.

Would I go to Stowe to Ski again? Absolutely.

Would I stay at Stoweflake? No.

3 Thank mjb-sec
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

Guest rooms a quite large with their own fireplace. The resort appears much smaller than it is when you enter. Great location, convenient to the village and the ski area. They are also on the shuttle line.

Cranston, Rhode Island
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

My family and I have visited this hotel through the years and have generally found it a good value. We hadn't been in a while and decided to stay here this time around. The first red flag that after I spoke to the reservations agent and made my reservation, I was contacted via email and told that she quoted me the wrong price and that I would have to pay an additional $50/night. When I asked if she would honor the price she quoted, she stated "no". So, I asked to speak to the reservations manager. The reservations manager was confrontational with me and bascially accused me of lying, until I forwarded her the email which showed the original rate quoted. I had to calm her down by explaining to her how a good manager would react to a customer (I am in management). She did calm down and honored the rate, but made a point of telling me my room wouldn't have a nice view of the mountains. (Ok, she could have thought this, but it was not smart to share it with me). We had reserved what is supposed to be one of the nicer rooms (luxury spa room). The room was dated-probably not redecorated from years ago...the "Things to do" guide in the room was dated from 2008-2009! The upholstered chairs in one of the common areas were tattered. The spa needs serious updating. I have been to the spas at Topnotch and Stowe Mountian Lodge and this one pales in comparison. Review B K was correct in stating that this is not even close to 4 star property. I am saddened because this used to be a favorite go-to place for my family. We won't be visiting this property again.

1 Thank oop95
StoweflakeGM, General Manager at Stoweflake Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear mvj122,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us. I know that Loretta, our Guest Services Manager, has been spoken with you already, but I want to let you know how disheartened I am to read about your experience.

As you know from your past visits, our staff is devoted to providing a great guest experience. As a Four Diamond resort, we are held to high service standards which we take great pride in and unfortunately, we let ourselves down. More importantly, we let you down. You are a valued guest whom has stayed with us multiple times and what you encountered is unacceptable. I assure you, it has been addressed.

Allow me to personally invite you to call me directly so I can make your next visit an enjoyable one. Again, we appreciate your honesty and will use this as a learning opportunity.

Sheri Baraw Smith, General Manger, co-owner
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

We weren't expecting true four star quality from the Stoweflake, given the reviews here (although we paid a pretty penny for it) but accomodations here are truly sub-par.
Firstly, the reception was acutely aware of our booking through Priceline (it was stamped on our guest IDs when we were checked in) and I feel they gave us a crummy room because of it. Because surely, all the rave reviews here cannot be for the type of room we were placed in.
Threadbare sheets, outdated decor, ancient TVs with all of 5 channels, stained carpets, scratchy towels, really small bed (we'd booked a queen room), small lumpy pillows which had seen better days. And a tiny, sad little room.
The one extra star is for Doreen at the front desk who got us a last minute reservation at local restaurant for dinner.
We feel ripped off and while we'll be back in lovely Stowe, we won't be staying at the Stoweflake again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank B K
StoweflakeGM, General Manager at Stoweflake Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear B K,

Please accept my apologies that we failed to meet your expectations during your recent visit. Your feedback is extremely important to us because without it, we cannot continue to improve. I appreciate your mentioning Doreen's service. People truly make the difference.

Please know that online travel sites offer great exposure and reach guests who might otherwise not know about us. I would like to assure you we welcome all guests no matter the booking avenue.

I will certainly keep your comments in mind as we look for ways to improve the quality of the products and services we offer here at the resort. In fact, as a result of guest feedback, we now offer complimentary wireless internet throughout our main inn and are working to expand it to the outlying property as well.

I am pleased to tell you that we are also beginning a spring refresh project which will offer updated bedding ensembles and new flat screen televisions. We will be rolling out these enhancements throughout spring and summer.

I do hope you will consider staying at the Stoweflake again. Should you decide to do so, please contact me directly.

Sheri Baraw Smith, General Manager, co-owner
Bournemouth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

Four of us stayed with Virgin Holidays on a ski package which included flights, car and hotel. We were upgraded on arrival to Spa Luxury Guestrooms which were spacious and comfortable with good amenities. They were quiet with a nice outlook of the garden, also close (but not too close) to the bar, reception, car park entrance and spa. The only tiny niggles were that on occasions the toiletries were not always topped up and the 'non dairy creamer' really made the in-room tea taste horrid! But really they really are the only complaints.

We ate breakfast here once which was tasty enough.

The complimentary apres ski was a nice touch - tea, coffee & cookies by the fire in the lounge and a little later cheese and crackers in Charlie b's bar. The wine list by the glass in here, although not cheap, was extensive, so I would think that most tastes would be catered for, with European and other new world selections as well as American.

We enjoyed the outdoor hot tub to ourselves one afternoon, but did not find time to use the gym or pool facilities, although these looked perfectly sufficient.

On a day when I didn't fancy skiing, I paid the additional $20 to enjoy the spa. It was listed in Conde Nast as the 22nd best in the States.... Whilst it was very pleasant, i think this is stretching it to me and did lead to slightly raised expectations. It was very relaxing though, not crowded and there were some nice touches, like cold flannels and cucumber eye slices for use in the sauna / steam. I think it was definitely worth it for 2-3 hours relaxation, although note that most areas are gender-specific so if you're there with a partner you will be apart for some of the time.

On the whole we would not hesitate to recommend the Stoweflake. The staff were friendly, as you'd expect in the States, but not overbearing - which us Brits can sometimes find too much.

Location wise, it's pretty much equidistant from mountain to stowe town. The free shuttle bus is very convenient - although it would be good if it ran a little later in the evenings - and there are some good restaurants within walking distance.

If you are considering stowe for your skiing break then we would certainly recommend stoweflake. Enjoy :-)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends