“Disappointing stay at an old favorite”

Ranked #8 of 24 Hotels in Stowe
Cranston, Rhode Island
“Disappointing stay at an old favorite”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

My family and I have visited this hotel through the years and have generally found it a good value. We hadn't been in a while and decided to stay here this time around. The first red flag that after I spoke to the reservations agent and made my reservation, I was contacted via email and told that she quoted me the wrong price and that I would have to pay an additional $50/night. When I asked if she would honor the price she quoted, she stated "no". So, I asked to speak to the reservations manager. The reservations manager was confrontational with me and bascially accused me of lying, until I forwarded her the email which showed the original rate quoted. I had to calm her down by explaining to her how a good manager would react to a customer (I am in management). She did calm down and honored the rate, but made a point of telling me my room wouldn't have a nice view of the mountains. (Ok, she could have thought this, but it was not smart to share it with me). We had reserved what is supposed to be one of the nicer rooms (luxury spa room). The room was dated-probably not redecorated from years ago...the "Things to do" guide in the room was dated from 2008-2009! The upholstered chairs in one of the common areas were tattered. The spa needs serious updating. I have been to the spas at Topnotch and Stowe Mountian Lodge and this one pales in comparison. Review B K was correct in stating that this is not even close to 4 star property. I am saddened because this used to be a favorite go-to place for my family. We won't be visiting this property again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank oop95
StoweflakeGM, General Manager at Stoweflake Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Dear mvj122,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay with us. I know that Loretta, our Guest Services Manager, has been spoken with you already, but I want to let you know how disheartened I am to read about your experience.

As you know from your past visits, our staff is devoted to providing a great guest experience. As a Four Diamond resort, we are held to high service standards which we take great pride in and unfortunately, we let ourselves down. More importantly, we let you down. You are a valued guest whom has stayed with us multiple times and what you encountered is unacceptable. I assure you, it has been addressed.

Allow me to personally invite you to call me directly so I can make your next visit an enjoyable one. Again, we appreciate your honesty and will use this as a learning opportunity.

Sheri Baraw Smith, General Manger, co-owner
Stoweflake Mountain Resort & Spa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

We weren't expecting true four star quality from the Stoweflake, given the reviews here (although we paid a pretty penny for it) but accomodations here are truly sub-par.
Firstly, the reception was acutely aware of our booking through Priceline (it was stamped on our guest IDs when we were checked in) and I feel they gave us a crummy room because of it. Because surely, all the rave reviews here cannot be for the type of room we were placed in.
Threadbare sheets, outdated decor, ancient TVs with all of 5 channels, stained carpets, scratchy towels, really small bed (we'd booked a queen room), small lumpy pillows which had seen better days. And a tiny, sad little room.
The one extra star is for Doreen at the front desk who got us a last minute reservation at local restaurant for dinner.
We feel ripped off and while we'll be back in lovely Stowe, we won't be staying at the Stoweflake again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank B K
StoweflakeGM, General Manager at Stoweflake Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear B K,

Please accept my apologies that we failed to meet your expectations during your recent visit. Your feedback is extremely important to us because without it, we cannot continue to improve. I appreciate your mentioning Doreen's service. People truly make the difference.

Please know that online travel sites offer great exposure and reach guests who might otherwise not know about us. I would like to assure you we welcome all guests no matter the booking avenue.

I will certainly keep your comments in mind as we look for ways to improve the quality of the products and services we offer here at the resort. In fact, as a result of guest feedback, we now offer complimentary wireless internet throughout our main inn and are working to expand it to the outlying property as well.

I am pleased to tell you that we are also beginning a spring refresh project which will offer updated bedding ensembles and new flat screen televisions. We will be rolling out these enhancements throughout spring and summer.

I do hope you will consider staying at the Stoweflake again. Should you decide to do so, please contact me directly.

Sheri Baraw Smith, General Manager, co-owner
Bournemouth
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

Four of us stayed with Virgin Holidays on a ski package which included flights, car and hotel. We were upgraded on arrival to Spa Luxury Guestrooms which were spacious and comfortable with good amenities. They were quiet with a nice outlook of the garden, also close (but not too close) to the bar, reception, car park entrance and spa. The only tiny niggles were that on occasions the toiletries were not always topped up and the 'non dairy creamer' really made the in-room tea taste horrid! But really they really are the only complaints.

We ate breakfast here once which was tasty enough.

The complimentary apres ski was a nice touch - tea, coffee & cookies by the fire in the lounge and a little later cheese and crackers in Charlie b's bar. The wine list by the glass in here, although not cheap, was extensive, so I would think that most tastes would be catered for, with European and other new world selections as well as American.

We enjoyed the outdoor hot tub to ourselves one afternoon, but did not find time to use the gym or pool facilities, although these looked perfectly sufficient.

On a day when I didn't fancy skiing, I paid the additional $20 to enjoy the spa. It was listed in Conde Nast as the 22nd best in the States.... Whilst it was very pleasant, i think this is stretching it to me and did lead to slightly raised expectations. It was very relaxing though, not crowded and there were some nice touches, like cold flannels and cucumber eye slices for use in the sauna / steam. I think it was definitely worth it for 2-3 hours relaxation, although note that most areas are gender-specific so if you're there with a partner you will be apart for some of the time.

On the whole we would not hesitate to recommend the Stoweflake. The staff were friendly, as you'd expect in the States, but not overbearing - which us Brits can sometimes find too much.

Location wise, it's pretty much equidistant from mountain to stowe town. The free shuttle bus is very convenient - although it would be good if it ran a little later in the evenings - and there are some good restaurants within walking distance.

If you are considering stowe for your skiing break then we would certainly recommend stoweflake. Enjoy :-)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank GeorgiaExplores
Morrisville, VT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

Spent the weekend at the Stoweflake scrapbooking with Girl Friends. We couldnt of been more pampered. From Tanner helping us unload & Load our "supplies" to all the staff, Heidi & Suzanne making sure we had all we needed at our meals!! Food was fabulous, rooms with fireplaces, everything was soooo awesome. Some of us used the Spa facilities and were Pampered!! Can't wait to go back agian!!!!!
Thanks for making it a great weekend!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Debbie,

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us for your scrapbooking weekend and that happy memories were made! I appreciate your kind comments as does the staff. It truly matters.

Thank you so much for taking the time to recommend our property to others on TripAdvisor. On behalf of the staff, we look forward to welcoming you back to the Stoweflake soon.

Sheri Baraw Smith, General Manager, co-owner
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

We stayed 3 nights in a Spa Luxury Queen Room. The room was very spacious and clean. Double sink in the bathroom and bar sink by the mini-fridge were an added bonus. We really enjoyed the resort facilities: the yoga class was great; my daughter and I enjoyed using the women only fitness room (two treadmills, free weights and other gym equipment); the kids really enjoyed swimming in the outdoor pool in winter (we were there in March) and usng the outdoor hot tub. Pool and hot tub were clean and seemed very well maintained. Resort employees were helpful and courteous. Next time, my husband and I hope to use the spa facilities! Overall, great value. We had none of the issues described in some of the other reviews (no problems with our bill, pools were clean). Great spot!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

1st trip to Stowe and had a great ski holiday. Stoweflake is in an ideal location, 10mins drive to the mountains in one direction, 10 mins to Stowe Village in the other. Huge room with lots of storage space, which is essential on ski holiday. Room had a fireplace which we used every night, a bit dated in decor but comfy clean and with a huge, divinely soft bed. The hotel has lots of cosy areas with open fires, piles of magazines and free coffee and cookies each afternoon. Spa was excellent, very good treatments. The on-site health club was also good, with outdoor and indoor pools and a big hot tub to soak aching muscles.

The Concierge staff were brilliant, organising a very special dinner for my husbands birthday, despite if being a holiday weekend with lots of places full. The staff across the hotel were friendly,
and very helpful. The only thing that should be improved is Charlie B's bar. Long overdue for a refurbishment particularly with newer funky places like Crop and PieCasso across the road that are attracting the apres ski crowd. We are not teenagers looking for loud music and drinking all night but even so like something more modern and ambient. Food was good but there are better places for breakfast in the area. Breakfast in a bar just isn't right, would be better served in the restaurant.

Will definitely stay at Stoweflake again next year. Some of the reviews are a bit harsh. Its not advertised as a boutique hotel and sometimes rooms that are several shades of beige do get a bit boring!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jayne2164
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

We had a fun and pleasant long weekend here. All the staff is very friendly and helpful, the sports facility really well stocked and easily accessible to guests. The spa, for which a separate fee is charged, was fun for an afternoon and a massage. The room was quite spacious and comfortable, and we slept well every night! My only problem with the resort was the lack of communication between the various staff about the promotions and the billing practices. We had booked a Valentine's Day promotion, which included dinner and breakfast. After we ate our dinner at Winfield's, we were presented with a bill for food, not just alcohol as promised. We had to sit and wait for at least 20 min. while our server went back and forth to the manager, and I assume, to the front desk, to sort it out. Eventually, it was settled, but it felt awkward sitting there well beyond our meal, explaining several times what the "deal" was. Then, after we returned home, I noticed we were charged a higher price for the room than I had been quoted on the phone ( my notes were still on my desk). When I called, I was told that there was a higher price for the "holiday weekend". When I said that the reservations person had quoted me a different price, I was informed that the higher price was correct, and the reservations clerk "has been spoken to". I was not trying to improve the performance of the clerk, I felt that they weren't totally honest about their charges. Both of these experiences reflected a lack of professionalism and confusion in the organization. Just watch what you sign for!

Room Tip: We were on first floor near the sports facility-- convenient to parking lot, good when wearing ski b...