“Very Pleasant Stay”

Ranked #9 of 24 Hotels in Stowe
Ottawa, Canada
“Very Pleasant Stay”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

We stayed 3 nights in a Spa Luxury Queen Room. The room was very spacious and clean. Double sink in the bathroom and bar sink by the mini-fridge were an added bonus. We really enjoyed the resort facilities: the yoga class was great; my daughter and I enjoyed using the women only fitness room (two treadmills, free weights and other gym equipment); the kids really enjoyed swimming in the outdoor pool in winter (we were there in March) and usng the outdoor hot tub. Pool and hot tub were clean and seemed very well maintained. Resort employees were helpful and courteous. Next time, my husband and I hope to use the spa facilities! Overall, great value. We had none of the issues described in some of the other reviews (no problems with our bill, pools were clean). Great spot!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 3, 2013

1st trip to Stowe and had a great ski holiday. Stoweflake is in an ideal location, 10mins drive to the mountains in one direction, 10 mins to Stowe Village in the other. Huge room with lots of storage space, which is essential on ski holiday. Room had a fireplace which we used every night, a bit dated in decor but comfy clean and with a huge, divinely soft bed. The hotel has lots of cosy areas with open fires, piles of magazines and free coffee and cookies each afternoon. Spa was excellent, very good treatments. The on-site health club was also good, with outdoor and indoor pools and a big hot tub to soak aching muscles.

The Concierge staff were brilliant, organising a very special dinner for my husbands birthday, despite if being a holiday weekend with lots of places full. The staff across the hotel were friendly,
and very helpful. The only thing that should be improved is Charlie B's bar. Long overdue for a refurbishment particularly with newer funky places like Crop and PieCasso across the road that are attracting the apres ski crowd. We are not teenagers looking for loud music and drinking all night but even so like something more modern and ambient. Food was good but there are better places for breakfast in the area. Breakfast in a bar just isn't right, would be better served in the restaurant.

Will definitely stay at Stoweflake again next year. Some of the reviews are a bit harsh. Its not advertised as a boutique hotel and sometimes rooms that are several shades of beige do get a bit boring!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jayne2164
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 20, 2013

We had a fun and pleasant long weekend here. All the staff is very friendly and helpful, the sports facility really well stocked and easily accessible to guests. The spa, for which a separate fee is charged, was fun for an afternoon and a massage. The room was quite spacious and comfortable, and we slept well every night! My only problem with the resort was the lack of communication between the various staff about the promotions and the billing practices. We had booked a Valentine's Day promotion, which included dinner and breakfast. After we ate our dinner at Winfield's, we were presented with a bill for food, not just alcohol as promised. We had to sit and wait for at least 20 min. while our server went back and forth to the manager, and I assume, to the front desk, to sort it out. Eventually, it was settled, but it felt awkward sitting there well beyond our meal, explaining several times what the "deal" was. Then, after we returned home, I noticed we were charged a higher price for the room than I had been quoted on the phone ( my notes were still on my desk). When I called, I was told that there was a higher price for the "holiday weekend". When I said that the reservations person had quoted me a different price, I was informed that the higher price was correct, and the reservations clerk "has been spoken to". I was not trying to improve the performance of the clerk, I felt that they weren't totally honest about their charges. Both of these experiences reflected a lack of professionalism and confusion in the organization. Just watch what you sign for!

Room Tip: We were on first floor near the sports facility-- convenient to parking lot, good when wearing ski b...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank imgwiz
Reviewed February 13, 2013

I stayed for a conference from feb 6-10. I have to admit I was wary after reading reviews but my conference was here so I decided not to change hotels. I am so glad I didn't listen to the tripadvisor reviews. Normally they are spot on and I am in agreement. First of all-yes the hotel is outdated if you compare it to anything contemporary or modern in style. But part of its charm is the low key almost family type atmosphere. Front desk was helpful even lending a corkscrew which we had forgotten to bring despite buying good wine from the wine and cheese shop just across the street. Spa was beautiful with an excellent couples massage and great amenities. We stayed in a luxury room with a fireplace that was nice and cozy watching the snow falling outside. Whirlpool jet tub in the bathroom great after a day of skiing. We didn't try any on site restaurant but very close to several within walking distance. The diamond of the hotel was definitely Susi(not sure of spelling) the concierge. I am widely travelled and I have never met a more helpful concierge on any of my previous travel experiences. Not in Las Vegas, Paris, London, Times Square, New Orleans-even in my hometown of Houston where I've recently encountered the most unhelpful concierge at the downtown Hyatt. While I am an avid "planner and researcher" when it comes to vacations I learned more from Susi in 5 minutes about the area of Stowe than hours of pouring over the Internet. My only regret is that we couldn't stay longer! I hope my review has been helpful-it's my first ever. But I felt so compelled after finding such a discrepancy between the trip advisor reviews and my experience. My best advice-keep an open mind. It's quaint historic appeal with friendly staff from the front desk, bellman who even helps store your skis and boots-far exceeds the posh snobbery that exists at many if the "better" hotels today. I highly recommend this resort, spa, and above all-Susi the concierge will make you feel like family. I can't wait to bring my kids here next year!

• Stayed February 2013
3 Thank Bobby1149
Florida
Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a conference and a couple extra days for fun. First impression with staff on the phone was not good. When I called to book the person helping us was not friendly or helpful. Ended up booking online which worked out better for us ( nicer room and better price). Upon arrival check in was smooth, room clean, bed spreads, tv old. Beds ok, not the most comfortable but not the worst. Amenities are nice and smell great. Bathroom nicely updated. As far as customer service, Susi was extremely helpful and always pleasant. She really made the hotel feel a lot warmer.
Cookies and hot beverages in the afternoon were nice by the fireplace. Rugs and couches need replacement by the wood fireplace. Game room needs update as well as a cleaning.
When the hotel got more full during the weekend there was more noise but not too terrible. Overall we had a nice time and enjoyed our room with fireplace very much. Would probably stay again but with so many other nice options in Stowe I would prob rather try another

• Stayed February 2013
new york city
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Stoweflake is located midway between the town of Stowe and the ski area, so it's convenient and there are some good stores/restaurants within walking distance - Cactus Cafe and Piecasso and the Gale Farm Stores all across the street. The best thing about the resort would be the spa, which is well designed and full service. The staff at the resort are uniformly nice, helpful folks. It's layed out in a u shape with rooms on either side and a lawn in the middle that has access to the spa from outside and addtional separate condo buildings and a house. Those lawn rooms offer no real views though the lawn is attractive. I stayed in a "Club Luxury Room" on the second floor west wing, but "Club" is misleading as there's no extra amenities that you'd think with that moniker. The room is pleasant enough but not luxury. The furnishings are frumpy as is the decor. Kind of like gramma's house. The TV is old school and in need of an upgrade to a large flat screen. The bathroom is just ok, not at all stylish. You'd think being in Vermont would provide some nice granite or marble finishes, but not here, just corian plastic sink top and run of the mill tiles. The fixtures and lighting should be updated as well. The public hallways are not inviting and quite dark and dank. The wall paper is unattractive and musty looking and the lighting is off putting. The best things in these public areas are the antique tables every couple of feet with small vases of flowers for a nice touch. The entire resort could use a design makeover to make it more appropriately luxurious - seeing as that's how they describe themselves. The food at Winfield's Bistro and the lower key Charlie B.'s is ok, not terribly special. Once again being in Vermont would make you think they'd offer some interesting farm to table items but not here. The bar area is comfortable with a fireplace and decent furnishings. There's a cute gift shop with some nice local items for sale run by a nice lady who's very personable. Overall, this is a decent, but not luxury, resort. With a little TLC and a bit of a redo it could be much better, and I'll return again with hopes some property improvement will occur.

Room Tip: Ask for a 2nd floor outside facing room for best views.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank papi6022
Vt
Reviewed February 10, 2013

This is now a full fledged resort, sprawling with top notch exercise and spa facilities. My wife raved about the quality of the massage and the rest of the spa experience. The main conference room is looking a little shabby with carpet damage, but the facilities for the conference were spacious and, as in the past the conference facilites were highly rated by my group. It was nice to find how nice the XC skiing was right out of the hotel parking lot in a snow storm, using the adjacent golf course. Staff, especially in the hotel restaurant, were pleasant and helpful. Biggest complaint was the heating/ventilation noise that significantly bothered sleep in room 217. So, ask for a room away from there until that is fixed.

Room Tip: Ask if noise if fixed before going into 217.
Stayed February 2013, traveled on business