“Third time and the place is showing it's wear...”

Stoweflake Mountain Resort & Spa
Ranked #9 of 24 Hotels in Stowe
Boston
“Third time and the place is showing it's wear...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

We stay here each year for a ski weekend and while we've liked it in the past, the place is startin to show it wear. The rooms on the "new" wing are all the same but the pillows and linens are looking and feeling beat. We were in a king size room and they just gave us 2 pillows that weren't even king. We added the one in the closet and well, there were just flat. The heat is the room was great and when you put on the gas fireplace, it's was really warm. We never turned on the TV, but it was a TV with a picture tube. As so many places now have flat screen HD TVs, those places with the older style TVs are looking, well, old. They have a huge outside hot tub which was great even with the shaky support rail to get into it (it hasn't been fixed in the three years we've been there)

My biggest issue was the breakfast that was provided with our stay. You could have paid a whopping $21.00 for the breakfast buffet but it ws included in our stay, however, if you had a dairy allergy, you were out of luck. The only protein, scrambled eggs, had cheese cooked into it. The first day when I asked the chef made some plain eggs for me, however, the last day we were there they just had scrambled eggs with cheese. The other option ws Cheese blintzes. When I asked for plain eggs the server went into the kitchen then the hostess came up to me and said "The chef has used all the eggs and all of them are with cheese" Now we were one of the first people to eat when it opened so we could get to the mountain. I was hard to believe that in the whole hotel there weren't 2 eggs without cheese, or knowing that people had dairy allergies, plain eggs with cheese on the side. Ridiculous!

Additionally, we heard from some other people that were with our group but stayed in the older section, that the fire alarm went off at 4 am and was running for a long time. They all had to get in their cars and no one every came out to tell them what was going on. Finally, one of them went to the front desk.

We will probably not stay back at this hotel next year when we trek to Stowe to ski. The Von Trapp Lodge looks pretty nice...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank BBuddy
StoweflakeGM, Director of Sales at Stoweflake Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear BBuddy,

Allow me to say how much we have enjoyed hosting your ski group over the years. Your feedback is extremely important to us, because without it we cannot continue to improve. You will be pleased to know we are in the process of procuring a new linens package complete with the highest quality pillows, sheets, and blankets. We are also updating our televisions to flat screens. While the dates of arrival may change, our goal is to have them by springtime.

Please accept my sincerest apologies regarding the service you experienced during breakfast. As you know from your past stays and your previous Trip Advisor review, it is not representative of the Stoweflake’s high standard of service. We value your review and this will not go overlooked.

We do hope you will give us an opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Scot Baraw, Vice President of Sales
Stoweflake Mountain Resort and Spa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Coventry, Rhode Island
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

The staff was very friendly, the spa treatment blew us both away. Spin class was excellent. The resort was very clean and attention to detail was spot on. Room service was fast, fresh and delicious.............................................................................................................................................

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

My family and I traveled to Vermont for a 4 day trip. We decided to book the Stoweflake inn based on review. When we walked in, we were nicely greeted and there was a warm fire making the inn feel very welcoming and like home. We got our room and surprisingly realized that the inn was quite big actually and we had fun exploring the 4 wings. Our room had a fire place (which was nice) and 2 queen beds. The decor was dated yet quite clean. We had a nice view into the spa garden (which was covered in snow). The location of the inn is perfect, quite close to the mountain and skiing and close to the main village of Stowe as well. I heard that there was an outdoor pool open all season long and it looked big, but when i asked they said that it was closed. So much for open all season long. I went to the indoor pool instead which was quite big but was very old and grungy looking. I definitely hope there is an upgrade there. The outdoor hot tub was amazing.The perfect temperature to keep you warm in the winter time. I heard about the amazing spa yet I did not get a change to try it. It did look very nice though. My family and I tried the 5k snowshoe course which I though was very fun and interesting with exercise activities along the way! Over all, perfect location, quaint and homey feeling and a good experience.

One tip, do not go to the restaurants at the Stoweflake, they are horrendous!

Room Tip: I would definitely recommend a fire place and a view into the spa garden.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

We thought this place was great. Reasonably priced, comparatively.... the rooms were a little dated but it's a cute little lodge. Great location... right on the bike/walking path and close to pretty much everything in Stowe - a short car ride away. Loved the Kuerigs in the room :) With Green Mountain Coffee. Nice pool.... though I recall it was a little cold. Cute hot tub just outside the doors from the pool.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Boston, MA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013

For Stoweflake to claim that this property is rated 4 Diamond is pushing it.

Cons of our stay:
We were placed in room 503- it was clearly in the un-renovated section of the hotel. To get to our room we had to walk through the "nice section" and stepped down into a pretty grungy wing. Can I mention there were probably only 5 other cars in the parking lot??? The hotel was EMPTY. I called the front desk to ask for an upgrade. The front desk refused- we had to pay a difference for a larger room. Fine- that's how they want to run their business. If perhaps someone sat down to think about it- why wouldn't you want to put us in a nicer room? There was clearly a whole hotel of nicer rooms just sitting there, but now when I think of Stoweflake, I think, "teeny tiny dark room in a grungy section of the hotel overlooking the parking lot." Do you think I am going to look back fondly on that? No- I'm going to stay less nights next winter and book Stowe Mountain Lodge instead. FYI Stoweflake! Most hotels upgrade you to a larger room if one is available.

The spa. The spa is advertised as being open until 8. We arrived at 5:30 and paid for the use of the spa. We were told "the spa was closing early at 7 that evening [fine] and the men's sanctuary was to the left, women's to the right. You'll find lockers, robe, and flip flops". That was all she told us. I walked into the women's sanctuary and was almost smacked in the face with the strong smell of cigarette smoke near where they put the robe. Quite a lovely way to begin your spa experience. I changed and that's when I got lost. No one was around to tell me which way the mineral pool was (and no signage), so I ended up going down into the labyrinth of treatment rooms and got pretty lost.

At 6:00 (20 minutes later) a girl came in, interrupted our conversation, and told us again that the spa would be closing at 7. There wasn't a working clock in the room, so I had no idea how much time we had left. Obviously, if she was telling me now, it must be getting close. So after about 10, 15 minutes, we packed up and went to leave. The correct time was now 6:20 and everything in the spa had been put away. The drinks (I was feeling dizzy from the heat, some water would have been great), the cool cloths, the cucumbers- all put away. How does this spa get such good reviews?? I've been in better spas at the Indian Casinos. Their saving grace was after I complained, they comped the spa charges without hesitation.

We only went for breakfast here- I'm assuming it was Charlie B's. The food was good- we liked the Farmer's breakfast, and the coffee was delicious. Our service on the first day was great, not so great day 2. You do see the chefs outside smoking quite a bit which can be a turnoff, but they seem to know how to cook a great breakfast.

Dirty laundry bags lined the halls all day every day.

Pros:
Location. Even though it's right off the highway, it was an easy drive to the mountain and restaurants in the area.

Jets in the tub. Lovely feature.

Rosemary mint lotion and soaps. Heavenly.

Free wifi.

Easy parking and in and out.

Most of the staff we encountered were nice and pleasant to speak with.

Overall, we won't be staying here again. This trip was my Christmas gift to my husband, and I was extremely disappointed in the room.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank scubascaff
StoweflakeGM, Owner at Stoweflake Mountain Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear scubascaff,

Thank you for providing feedback on your experience. We strive to provide a high level of satisfaction at Stoweflake – in this case we did not succeed and for that I do apologize. We value your review and I assure you each of the issues you mentioned have been addressed.

Surinda Cavanaugh, our Spa Director, would certainly welcome an opportunity to discuss with you additional insight into your experience at the Spa.

It is only through your feedback that our team can improve. Thank you again for your comments.

Sheri Baraw Smith, Owner and General Manager
Stoweflake Mountain Resort & Spa
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

Even during a very cold week in Vermont, I really enjoyed my stay in this resort; the staff is very nice, always ready to help you, very well located between STowe and the mountain resort with a shuttle stop if you dont want to drive. If you want, you could use the services of the SPA (quite expensive) but you could enjoy and it is totally free as included, the excellent sport center of the hotel: indoor and outdoor pool, hot tub, jacuzzi, fitness center, steam room.
A single remark: food is ok but not memorable

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2013

First time in Stowe for a mini ski vacation with my family just after New Years. Thought that the location of the Stoweflake was great - short drive to the village downtown, short walking distance from some decent restaurants and a 15 minute drive from the ski slopes. The rooms were fine and on a whole comfortable but the decor was dated and definitely needs refreshing. There was a little fridge so you could stock up on drinks and snacks for the room. Two bathrobes were provided but no slippers (which would have been nice). Really enjoyed the gas fireplace after skiing. Biggest drawback: the bathroom didn't have a fan which meant the whole room got quite steamy after showering. My rating swung to very good vs. good because of the amenities - great gym, indoor pool (needs a good cleaning though), and hot tub. Plus a nice 8k fitness trail on grounds of the inn (bring your snowshoes in winter!). Although we didn't use the spa, they offered a lot of services for those interested. We ate our first night at one of the on-site restaurant Charlie B's and it was awful and over-priced. Many more good choices available in Stowe so do your homework and be prepared to eat all your meals offsite.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a room with a fireplace.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family